HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,828 Times in 1,531 Posts
Default It's gonna be a long winter

So,************* I might as well get some blood flowing.
We're at the beginning of what is looking to be a new, conservative era in our Country's history. The Liberal and Conservative battle seems to finally be leaning towards moderation.
Ya know, there's a great, ongoing battle going on in Sportsman Racing, mainly affecting Stock and SS Racing too. IMHO, this battle is taking place between, not Liberals and Conservatives, but Car Guys and Racers. Now, I've always considered myself a bit of both but as I get older, I find myself being more of a Car Guy.
Where I'm going with all of this "baloney" is, is it time to start slowing down and backing up the "Liberalization of Stock and SS?
Over the years, We've seen loads of parts and pieces AND specs. approved for use that would never be found on a "Barrett-Jackson" car.
I've been told by a prominent member of this board that I'm not the one to be making these decisions because I have a "GM mind".
So, what's right, what's wrong, what should be allowed and what should be taken away? We've all got our own "pet peeves" and they're mostly the ones that the other guy in your Class is getting to use. What are YOUR personal "pet peeves" and "bogus" combos and why should they or shouldn't they be fixed?

And seeing as I'm the one starting this s**t fest, I'll go first.
283s with 327 intake manifolds.
273s with LD4B intakes.
All of the Police Interceptor FFFords.
Early 70s 351 FFFords with Holley carbs.

Yeah, it could be a long, bloody winter.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
mjacquesjr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: It's gonna be a long winter

Well, we use to live by the Golden Rule, but over the years the rule changed. He who has the Gold makes the rules JMO
mjacquesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,900 Times in 644 Posts

Jim "bogus" Marshall's Super Nova is my thorn in the side Billy. I mean we're talking factory car bogus here! He normally runs in I/SA so I started running J, so what does he do but go to the Dutch and set the J record just to show me he could. The man runs so fast he blowed his motor up in his motorhome on the way home, that'll teach him to slow it down some! That thing needs HP for Christmas!
All in fun Jim knows I love him right!?!?

Last edited by HR9121; 12-02-2016 at 11:01 AM.
HR9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 682 Times in 264 Posts
Wink Re: It's gonna be a long winter

OH! Billy are you starting another campaign to "rescind" parts that were approved.
Is this going to work like the AMC "Witch Hunt".
You seem to want to be a time traveler and go back to the "Old Days"
OK I'll give you something to work on.
Get rid of AHFS and go back to running off National Records.
You remember class eliminations off National Records.
Is that enough of a blast into the past for you?
Put performance back in S/SS.
I can hear my dear departed friend Alex saying there are too many SS cars in stock with all these new cars.
He would say all the "alphabet" cars need to be in Super Stock or have their own eliminator.
Ok, I'm out of here. that should get things stirred up for you.
Have a nice winter and now that we have voted in change,
I can say: I wish You a Merry Christmas... ;~)

Last edited by Adger Smith; 12-02-2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: SP
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,652 Times in 505 Posts

Soften some of the HP factors on some of the old iron still running. Other than that I don't see much changing. Its getting real hard to find parts for cars that are 50+- years old. Lets enjoy what we have while we have it. I don't see all of this being around in 10 or so years. At least not the way it is now You can see the changes coming. Voluntary tech at the national events is the first indicator of where the ship is pointing. Reduced Quota at the nationals. The age of most competitors is getting up there even in the Pro classes.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

#1 - Cars allowed to run in Stock Eliminator that don't even have a VIN. Ya, I know this horse has been beat to death, but I'm gonna give "Sea Biscuit" a couple more whacks.

#2 - Cars allowed to run in Stock Eliminator with aluminum heads that never had them to begin with.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Re: It's gonna be a long winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
Jim "bogus" Marshall's Super Nova is my thorn in the side Billy. I mean we're talking factory car bogus here! He normally runs in I/SA so I started running J, so what does he do but go to the Dutch and set the J record just to show me he could. The man runs so fast he blowed his motor up in his motorhome on the way home, that'll teach him to slow it down some! That thing needs HP for Christmas!
All in fun Jim knows I love him right!?!?
Come on cooter the AHFS is working I mean you can go to an open and run 1.40 under with no penalty but go to a real race and get hp at 1.20 what is the difference in the index and rules its like robbing a bank in one town and they say don't worry about it then going to the next town and you get locked up???
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

My pet peeve is unequal application of the rules. In recent years, there have been a number of rules applied to small segments of cars that are different for everyone else. I stated my case a few times, was treated rudely, was talked down to, and was ignored by certain NHRA officials. Apparently, "some people are more equal than others." Due to their actions and complete disregard for equal application of the rules, I no longer compete in Super Stock. I miss a lot of the people, but I don't miss NHRA. I'm sure they don't miss my money. There's always someone else to be a willing participant.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,477 Times in 1,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
Soften some of the HP factors on some of the old iron.
Great idea. Actually a few guys here actually submitted such a proposal. It's been ignored, as of today.

Take 20% off ALL gross rated cars that haven't been run in 5 years.
Not just 383's, 426's, 428 Pontiacs...ALL . Fair is fair.
Billy , care to elaborate ?

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 12-03-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,257 Times in 601 Posts

Since the rules for stock are so 'liberal', where do you draw the line on what is right and what is not??

Mike made a good point about many parts being very hard to find. Since collectors hoard the proper number parts what are racers suppose to do?

Since I help with the stock super stock combo races at Pacific Raceways each year, I have had the opportunity to talk many of the racers. We have discussed this issue and you have to do what it necessary to be competitive.

My own opinion is that "stock" eliminator cars should look stock. Like I said at the beginning of this post, the rules are so liberal where do you stop??