HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-22-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
Rick Angles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Changing model year

Finally got to check out the Starfire I have been planning on building for Stk. The 75 V-6 is going to need 1/4's, fenders, etc. So I made a deal with my brother-in-law to buy his 77 V-8 Starfire also. Two for one price. My thoughts are to take out the V-6 and trans from the 75 and use the 77 to build up, since it has a much better body, not to mention only 65k. Still needs redone, but less work.
Now my question. Could I use the V-6 from the 75 and put into the 77 and be legal? Should I call the 77 a 75 and what would I need to change if I could? The only thing looking different ( I will have to look them over again ) to me is the rubber nose. Or would I have to change any interior parts also? In this range of years, they look almost the same with only minor differences; nose, interior trim levels,etc. I am planning to just use the 75 as a parts car for anything I may need, then sell off what I can from what is left that is usable.

Rick

Old 04-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Hurri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rick,
If needed I have a brand new set of headers for a V-6 Starfire. Email me if interested.

Terry Cain
hchill@aye.net
www.AutographMyCar.com
Old 04-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

I briefly bracket raced a 75 Buick Skyhavk V6 20+ years ago hoping to run it in IHRA T/pure stock/automatic. The 75 and 77 engines are very different, 77 and earlier=oddfire,77 up =evenfire. The cranks, cam, timing sets, distributors and heads are different. Check the NHRA blueprint pages for specifics. to tell the difference look inside the dist. caps. The evenfire will have the "electrodes" evenly spaced at 60 degrees. the oddfire will have two "electrodes" offset 90 degrees. There were several NHRA V6 record holders in the 80's so I thought it would be a good combo to start out with. The engine had been horsepowered from 110 to 150 and in "legal purestock trim (stock cam), mine was a turd. It would turn 5000 but shift past 4500 and it fell on its face. Now I understand horsepower to weight classifications better LOL. The 75 used a 2GC rochester that was not as big as the "largest" GM 2bbl. not sure about the 77 carb. The rocker shaft assembly on the 75 is unique to the 75 and 76 only, has fragile, aluminum rocker pedistals that have to be scavenged from a junk yard (good luck) or machined. The 77 has them cast in the heads. S-10 pickups are a good source for posi units. Kenne Bell Buick was THE source for cams, ring gear spacers, oil pump kits, headers, anything Buick V6. I hope this info is correct and helps. Don Jackson

Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Rick Angles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

Don, I will email you later. I am interested.

Terry, thanks for the info. I knew it was probably an odd-fire since I worked at a GM dealer years ago. But we never had much trouble with them ( small dealer ) so the specifics I didn't know to much about.Right now I am just looking for a direction to go. I was thinking the V-6 would be easier to teardown, if or when I was picked. Just looking ahead, [:-laughing-:]. If I did go V-6, I was going to post a new topic on any help with it, maybe even locate a later even-fire if needed.
Also I am just wondering what else besides engine/trans, I would need off the 75 if I ran the 75 engine in the 77 Starfire.