Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-19-2007, 12:46 AM   #11
JCQuinn

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Opps !

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kelley View Post
I contacted the Shelby American Automible Club and they confirmed that it was never built with a single four barrel.
If you don't believe ne then contact them directly.The email is 67registrar@saac.com
It WAS NOT BUILT.....how it got OK'ed is another story.
So the Shelby club says no and the guy who actually built the cars says yes. So you all believe the club and not the builder. Interesting.
JCQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

They have a registery of every Shelby ever built and NO single carb GT500KR's were built.
Do you have any real proof otherwise ??
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
BRETV

Liked 598 Times in 148 Posts

First Of All The Gt500kr's Were Built In 68 1/2 With The 428 Cobra Jet Motors And They All Came With A Single 735 Holley. Hawk's Car Is A 67 And They Came With 428 Police Interceptor Motors.

Bret Velde
3028 A/fi 03 Cobra
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
JCQuinn

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kelley View Post
They have a registery of every Shelby ever built and NO single carb GT500KR's were built.
Do you have any real proof otherwise ??
I think a letter from the builder would constitute proof, it was good enough for the NHRA.

You'r taking the information from a bunch of car club guys over information from the man who actually built the cars. It seems like Shelby ought to know what he did. The manufacturing facility was a warehouse full of car parts and the cars were built by a bunch of hot rodders. I don't know everything they put together but I do know they sometimes deviated from the "official" build sheet.

You complainers act like only Hawk is allowed to have one of these. Anyone can build one and unless you are in Hawk's class why do you care anyway the eliminator is just a bracket race.
JCQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #15
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Red face Re: Opps !

The original 68 1/2 Cobra Jets (13 I believe), including Al Joniec's and Don Nicholson's were NOT the true CJ,s anyway. The serial # for the engine was to be R in the fifth digit, but the 13 had J or 302 engine codes.
One of the restorers of Nicholson's confirmed this for me when I was doing research on my 68 1/2.

I have walked the pits for many years and checked the VIN's on many of the 68's and I find many J, S, and there are a few R,s

Remember, the car won the Winternationals, but it wasn't released to the public until April of 68. Pretty amazing feat considering the time it would take to build and get the car ready, testing and all. How did NHRA have the build #'s before they were released to the public.

Then again, the Thunderbolt was a very limited production and it was accepted. I am sure some MOPAR folks can fess up to some pretty strange combinations being accepted in "the day" that should never have also.

NHRA opened the door and the horse is out, and has been out since then.

Very few of these cars exist today, so it appears that NHRA wants "that kind" of car to be seen on the track, so exceptions are made. Many of the true originals are worth so much, it may be risky to even be near a track with one. For the sake of the show, Ford vs Chevy vs Mopar vs AMC vs etc, do you get my drift, we will continue to see variations, for the "show".
CycloneFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
stefan callender

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey, the NHRA let the NASCAR hemi in, and that wasnt a legit combination. And from what I hear, Hawk wasnt the first one to run the combination he runs.
stefan callender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:40 PM   #17
junior barns

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

If They Are Are Going To Let These Bogus Combos In Then The Nhra Should At The Very Least Get The Hp (close ) To Start This Is My Biggest Compaint!
junior barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #18
Jason Fuller

Maybe Mr. Shelby should be the copilot on this combination..any guess to what he weighs now? And would that be enough weight to make the factor correct?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #19
Bryan Worner

Liked 410 Times in 66 Posts

Another thing that will piss you guys that are bitching off is......a 1.20 under pass will not get him horsepower! If you don't know how the AHFS works by now you never will! The same combination will have to run 1.15 under at a national event in this review period. If that happens, it will trigger a review! If the combination average or class average is more than 1 second under the index, then horsepower will be given to that combination! I'm sure Hawk will go faster than 1.15 under at Indy, so you may get your wish.
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #20
Arnold Greene

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Talking Re: Opps !

Bill just wants to run A/SA with the Shelby. His brakes are good enough to keep it from getting hit, unless he wants it hit!