HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts
Default Decisions from NHRA on Proposals

Attention all NHRA racers. This is the latest email I received in response to my proposals. In the end not much of anything will change. It's disappointing. If you look at his responses it is clear he and nhra talked to other racers and SRAC reps and they are scared to hit their combo and don't want the inconvenience of being torn down hence they don't want to set any records. So the racers are a big problem here not nhra. I tried and I thought I had the support of the racers but that simply wasn't the case. So there will be no incentives to run fast or set records in a performance based class because the racers themselves won't support it. Amazing.....

Ed,
Again , sorry for our delay in getting back to you on your suggestions. We really appreciate hearing from passionate racers like you. We have talked at length about your suggestions internally and with the Stock and Super Stock SRAC. Below are the results of those discussions.

Bring performance back to Stock and Super Stock through incentives
There are a couple of things that we identified that discourage racer from setting records
The Automatic Horsepower Factoring System (AHFS)
i. Racers don’t seem willing to take the hit to their combination levied by the AHFS – this is demonstrated by the fact that a high percentage of the records recently have been at National Opens like Division 4’s Belle Rose, Division 1’s Dutch Classic and Division 3’s Fall Classic. As you are aware the AHFS is not in effect during National Opens. We encourage record setting at these events and at the Dutch they are even permitted to set records on the test day.
Racers don’t want to deal with getting torn down – It is not a big deal for us to tear down cars making runs (we do it at the National Opens I just mentioned), but racers are not as apt to want their cars torn down as in the past. This is particularly true of many of the newer combinations.

We discussed your idea of points and the general consensus was that it would have too much of an impact to the National and Divisional Championships.

The group did agree that more recognition (National Dragster, Social Media etc.) could help. I will personally look into this to see what can be done.

Combining Stick and Automatics
This has been discussed at length with the Stock and Super Stock SRAC. Below is a good explanation of why it hasn’t been done from an email we recently received from one of the SRAC members that I think sums it up well:
This will be at least the third time this subject has been hashed over. As much as I would like to find a way to do that, as we have already researched, it will be impossible to arrive at a fair and equitable way to achieve that goal. From memory some indexes were close or the same and others were as much as 3 tenths difference from Sticks to Automatics. There is no way you could ask someone to carry an extra 300 pounds in their car even if the weight restriction would allow it. The only way you could run class between a Stick combo and Automatic would be with a handicap start and that would undermine the Heads-up identity of class racing. At this time without re-writing all of the current weight breaks and combinations there is no way it will work and be fair to all.

Running Class at More National and Divisional Events
While we agree with you that it would be nice to run more class but the simple answer is that it is a scheduling problem and limited by the amount of time we have at an event.

I hope that these answers are not discouraging, but I have learned over the years that Stock and Super Stock are the most complex classes we have. What seems like a simple solution to improve the class many times has a negative impact in some way that we could never imagine. Working with the Stock and Super Stock SRAC representatives from all seven divisions helps us take more of a global view on these issues and minimizes the chance that we make a bad decision for the classes. Again, we appreciate you input on these matters and if you want us to address any other issues please feel free to communicate them to either your division SRAC representative or myself.

Regards
Glen Gray
NHRA
Vice President Technical Operations

__________________________________________________ __________
Buckingham Confirms Unfortunate News
risingstarnewspaper.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/...a99790est01vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Last edited by Ed Carpenter; 03-14-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,415 Times in 1,683 Posts
Default Re: Decisions from NHRA on Proposals

Thank you for all the hard work and dedication, Ed.
I had intended to address the findings from my recent poll, yesterday.
I did get side tracked and didn't get it done but I would have looked very prophetic today.
I'll wrap that up later.

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 03-13-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
BBF67

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Very considerate answers from the tech department. Looks like NHRA did their homework on the proposals. Like it or not, their research shows there is currently no need for major changes in Stock and S/S.
BBF67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

The majority said no and I can live with that. I put out some ideas and the racers didn't want it. So we move on.........Now us stick guys can go back to losing all the time like one auto guy put it.......oh wait didn't Brad go to the final Sunday??? What a duck he is.....
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
Bob Bender
VIP Member

Liked 372 Times in 80 Posts

Ed, thank you so much for your time and effort in trying to help us.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
kansas stocker

Liked 223 Times in 43 Posts

Any reason not to run time trials using the index or dial?
Any reason not to print the national records in ND?

I always enjoy the pictures from Patsy and Ken but it occurred to me that is hard to tell who is who. I've been a racer or a fan since the early '60s. In those days it was easy to tell who was racing and everyone had a favorite from Monster Mash to the Ramchargers. It's hard to be a fan if you can't identify the racer. I understand that lots just want a plain car with decals for the money, but don't expect anyone to leave the concession stand to see you race.
Pete
kansas stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas stocker View Post
Can anyone argue against this?
Really seems like a smart idea...
Mike A114
Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas stocker View Post
Any reason not to print the national records in ND?

I always enjoy the pictures from Patsy and Ken but it occurred to me that is hard to tell who is who. I've been a racer or a fan since the early '60s. In those days it was easy to tell who was racing and everyone had a favorite from Monster Mash to the Ramchargers. It's hard to be a fan if you can't identify the racer. I understand that lots just want a plain car with decals for the money, but don't expect anyone to leave the concession stand to see you race.
Pete
I wondered last year why the National Records page in National Dragster disappeared.

Yet there are full page black and white size pics of cars from the 60's published to take up space.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote