HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Unhappy Another Legendary Drag Strip Is Gone

Lakeland Dragstrip in Florida is closed for good. It is to be a parking lot for warehouses. Lakeland has a very colorful past where almost every great racer has made passes over the years. It has been licensed by both NHRA and IHRA . The circle track was nationally know and all the NASCAR greats have raced there. Here is the official notification to the public:

Lakeland Drag Strip
·
Its with A. broken heart that I make this post.
Mr. Spiker, property owner, has let us know that he has accepted an offer from a developer to purchase the whole facility ( Dragstrip and mud hole) unfortunately for us they where able to offer more than us .I personally would like to thank all the RACERS, SPONSORS ,STAFF AND FANS for supporting us for the last 6yrs .Im going to miss all the great folks who shared there days with us .Again i am truly greatful to everyone..
Thank you very much . Ozzy and Maria Moya and the whole lakeland family.
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 11-21-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #2
Kenny Bomar

Liked 299 Times in 41 Posts
Default Re: Another Legendary Drag Strip Is Gone

Raced there almost every week from abt 66 to 71 didn't know how good we had it, one of the best tracks I'm told at that time. I was also in the movie that was filmed there 2 Lane Blacktop w James Taylor and warren Oates in 1971. Man had some great times. Not too long ago I walked down what is left of the track and got me a small piece of the retainer wall and a chunk of asphalt i remember seeing all the "greats" of that time running there I do have some 8 mm I took there " back in the day" great memories and i'm thankful to be still racing and making more memories!!
Kenny Bomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Bomar View Post
Raced there almost every week from abt 66 to 71 didn't know how good we had it, one of the best tracks I'm told at that time. I was also in the movie that was filmed there 2 Lane Blacktop w James Taylor and warren Oates in 1971. Man had some great times. Not too long ago I walked down what is left of the track and got me a small piece of the retainer wall and a chunk of asphalt i remember seeing all the "greats" of that time running there I do have some 8 mm I took there " back in the day" great memories and i'm thankful to be still racing and making more memories!!
Jim is talking about Lakeland Florida.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts
Unhappy Re: Another Legendary Drag Strip Is Gone

Sort of funny that they will put in an industrial mall type complex and that is where all those Street outlaw guys race. So I guess it will continue to be a race track just no fees or rules.

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:57 AM   #5
Kenny Bomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Jim is talking about Lakeland Florida.
Sorry I thought he was talking about Lakeland tn it's been closed for years but I just heard last week about someone bought the land and is fixing to dig up what is left of the drag strip to put in a large mall and hotels .
Old 11-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #6
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:

are you in this clip?
Mike A114
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:53 AM   #7
Mark Ugrich

Liked 57 Times in 32 Posts
Talking Re: Another Legendary Drag Strip Is Gone

I spoke with Ozzy last week when I was at OSW for the Southern Superstock race. He told me they were pretty far apart on negotiating a price. I’m sure he did everything he could to keep the track open. Really a shame though I live about 15 minutes from there.
Mark Ugrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ugrich View Post
I spoke with Ozzy last week when I was at OSW for the Southern Superstock race. He told me they were pretty far apart on negotiating a price. I’m sure he did everything he could to keep the track open. Really a shame though I live about 15 minutes from there.
Tough to lose a track because they're always gone forever.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:44 AM   #9
Kenny Bomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post

are you in this clip?
Mike A114
Yes after the first scene when the 55 parks in the pits, the Torino Warren Oates is driving goes by a mopar w the hood up on the other side of the mopar there is a guy sitting on the rear bumper of a Chevy looking to the left. That is me playing a "very important part" there was a glare coming off the rear bumper getting in the camera they had me sit there to block the glare !! now we're talking Lead Role Huh!! Also another place I was In My 69 B/sa Camaro in the lane behind Ivar Smeltnic of RHS in his G/sa 69 Camaro it is a shot of the "star " girl getting her stuff out if the 55 u can c about half of my car and half of Ivars' on the other side of the 55.it was a lot if fun and we got paid $100 each for 2 days "work"! We just hung out grilling hot dogs and doing what they wanted !!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Yes after the first scene when the 55 parks in the pits, the Torino Warren Oates is driving goes by a mopar w the hood up on the other side of the mopar there is a guy sitting on the rear bumper of a Chevy looking to the left. That is me playing a "very important part" there was a glare coming off the rear bumper getting in the camera they had me sit there to block the glare !! now we're talking Lead Role Huh!! Also another place I was In My 69 B/sa Camaro in the lane behind Ivar Smeltnic of RHS in his G/sa 69 Camaro it is a shot of the "star " girl getting her stuff out if the 55 u can c about half of my car and half of Ivars' on the other side of the 55.it was a lot if fun and we got paid $100 each for 2 days "work"! We just hung out grilling hot dogs and doing what they wanted !!
I see you about 00:25 seconds in
A breathtaking performance Ken
Do you remember how quick the 55 was?
Mike A114

Last edited by Mike Jones; 11-14-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote