HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts
Default Santhuff or Fast Shocks

Looking for some recommendations for front shock issues. 67 Camaro, Moroso trick front coil springs, Steel headed big block Chevy, turbo 400, full interior, 3700 #'s with 200 # driver. Car wheel stands 2-3 feet in the air. 60 foot 1.35-1.37, Actually tripped the 60 ft. timer with the back tires this passed week. The problem is the landing. It bottoms out the suspension so bad that it's actually knocked the head lights out of the car, and cracked one of the header tubes. I use Afco 3840F/BNC front shocks. They have been sent back to Afco several times, to be re-valved to fix this problem, with only minor results. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm passed the point of the Afco shock's ability to control the landing. I know there are several Stock and Super Stock cars doing 2-3 foot wheel stands out there. I understand I am 200-300 pounds heavier than a typical big block Camaro, but there must be a way that these other cars are dealing with this issue better than my situation. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts
Default Re: Santhuff or Fast Shocks

Do you have wheelie bars ? How far do they sit off the ground ?
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Either send your current shocks to Randy at FastShocks or talk to Marty Rinehart at Rinehart Performance for the proper Santhuff shocks and front springs.

Last edited by SSDiv6; 12-05-2020 at 12:40 PM.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Eric Merryfield

Liked 467 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA1926 View Post
Looking for some recommendations for front shock issues. 67 Camaro, Moroso trick front coil springs, Steel headed big block Chevy, turbo 400, full interior, 3700 #'s with 200 # driver. Car wheel stands 2-3 feet in the air. 60 foot 1.35-1.37, Actually tripped the 60 ft. timer with the back tires this passed week. The problem is the landing. It bottoms out the suspension so bad that it's actually knocked the head lights out of the car, and cracked one of the header tubes. I use Afco 3840F/BNC front shocks. They have been sent back to Afco several times, to be re-valved to fix this problem, with only minor results. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm passed the point of the Afco shock's ability to control the landing. I know there are several Stock and Super Stock cars doing 2-3 foot wheel stands out there. I understand I am 200-300 pounds heavier than a typical big block Camaro, but there must be a way that these other cars are dealing with this issue better than my situation. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.
My truck had the same issue back when it did those modest 2-3 footer wheelstands with budget shocks......it got Santhuffs and problem solved.........add more power a few 10 footers and even the mightiest of shocks and other parts will show some wear and tear.(especially if you have to lift up there)

Now if you like the challenge of ripping of a 00light when your car/truck is going to the moon, you are going to have to compromise a touch so you can dial that beast.

Don't cheap out on the front $ wise......

Changes like a bit of weight up there, running it less extention, lowering those bars not tough......

Myself excluded of course, I'm ripping it and in a foul mood if I don't 60 foot on the rear tires.(truck only)

Eric
Old 12-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,047 Times in 762 Posts

How does the wear and tear of towing effect the sustainability of racing shocks?
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
Hacksaw

Liked 272 Times in 149 Posts

I'm a believer that the front shocks are more important than the rears and I would spend the money on Santhuffs because their valving / internal design can be adjusted to control the bounce from large wheelies. JMHO
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
Hacksaw

Liked 272 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
How does the wear and tear of towing effect the sustainability of racing shocks?
Tow for a couple of hours and then stop and put your hand on the race cars shocks to see how hot they are. That will be your answer.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
Jeff Jewell

Liked 172 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA1926 View Post
I had the exact same Afco shocks on my Super Stock Corvette. No matter what I did with the shocks, I had difficulty controlling the wheelstands and could not get the bounce out. Smacked the pan hard once as well. I put the recommended Santhuff shocks on from Marty Reinhardt. It was probably the best money I spent in years on the car. I can make the car wheelstand or leave like a Pro Stocker with minor adjustments, and I have no more bounce or bottoming out.

I don't have any experience with Fastshocks, but I have heard good things about them as well.
Jeff Jewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
Brian Oakes

Liked 398 Times in 110 Posts

I use Santhuff shocks on both of my cars and i sell and stock them as well, if ya need any or have any question, Thanks Brian, 407 474 0898
Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	part0(8) small.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	56409
Here is a photo of the car this past weekend
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote