HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Eman

Liked 104 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Before I put this on

There's plenty written by the manufacturers of these oil cans to find out how to install it. Think about how it works and where the oil will go if there is no oil pressure, keep in mind oil will take the path of least resistance.
Usually the electric controlled valve will be wired to an oil pressure switch so it opens when oil pressure drops. The electric valve are usually 1 way check valves so the in is always open and the out is controlled by the switch.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Sound good, I was thinking the switch worked the other way. I'll leave it like it is. I like the idea of attaching to a low pressure oil switch so it's not energized all the time. Any other pointers?
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #13
CMcAllister

Liked 735 Times in 205 Posts

ON is open in either direction. OFF is closed stopping oil from moving to the engine while allowing it to charge the can until pressure is equalized with engine pressure. Having the valve ON while on track, as opposed to using a pressure switch, allows the accumulator to "catch" a sudden pressure drop before it reaches a low point and keep the galleries full, since the can is charged to engine oil pressure. Having it open all the time requires the oil pump to recharge the can every time the engine is started since it will dump into the engine with the valve open. An electric valve also allows mounting in places that may be difficult to get to in order to operate a manual valve. I quickly found it inconvenient to have to start the engine, allow the can to charge, close the valve and shut the engine off at the end of the day. Just my experience with it.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcAllister View Post
ON is open in either direction. OFF is closed stopping oil from moving to the engine while allowing it to charge the can until pressure is equalized with engine pressure. Having the valve ON while on track, as opposed to using a pressure switch, allows the accumulator to "catch" a sudden pressure drop before it reaches a low point and keep the galleries full, since the can is charged to engine oil pressure. Having it open all the time requires the oil pump to recharge the can every time the engine is started since it will dump into the engine with the valve open. An electric valve also allows mounting in places that may be difficult to get to in order to operate a manual valve. I quickly found it inconvenient to have to start the engine, allow the can to charge, close the valve and shut the engine off at the end of the day. Just my experience with it.

Absolutely NOT trying to be difficult, but I don't understand your comments about having to start the engine to re-charge the accumulator during the day, and about the inconvenience of charging it at the end of the day. The primary purpose of an accumulator is provide an "insurance" oil supply in a situation like the one that's often encountered past the finish line. Why would you charge it after every run? As you say, it's function is "controlled" by engine oil pressure. It "takes care of itself". After the initial morning start & warmup, the engine remains relatively warm and is certainly primed. At the end of the day, you put the front wheels on the trailer ramp, raise the engine speed a bit, close the valve and winch the car in. What am I missing?
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
Coleydog

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcAllister View Post
Do you have a separate switch for the unit or just tie into the ign switch? Engine running, it's open, engine off, closed?
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #16
CMcAllister

Liked 735 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleydog View Post
Do you have a separate switch for the unit or just tie into the ign switch? Engine running, it's open, engine off, closed?

Separate switch. My switch panel has 2 fuel pump switches with only one pump. Used the unused switch to operate the accusump. Just personal preference to be able to control the valve and not have the thing dump 3 qts into the engine to be whipped up by the crank and then pump it all back into the can every time its shut off and started. Not concerned about uncovering the pickup unless it's on the track.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #17
Chevy55

Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts

I have a little different school of thought on starting and running an engine with an accusump.

If you start the engine with the valve open and the accusump empty it takes awhile for a cold engine to build oil pressure because the accusump will be filling the same time that you want all the oil going thru the motor.

I like the manual valve because I can keep it closed when starting the engine and then open it slowly only causing a slight drop in oil pressure when filling the accusump then leave the valve open for the rest of the day.

I run a 1 1/2 qt accusump with the engine at normal oil level, 7 qts with a 7 qt pan and nothing extra for the accusump, this lowers the oil level in the engine during the run, reducing splash and increasing HP.

My problem was losing oil pressure in the traps and using this procedure solved that problem because as soon as oil pressure dropped on shutdown the accusump would push oil back into the motor keeping the oil pressure up till the oil in the pan stabilized.

IMO it's like having the best of both worlds, steady oil pressure and a low oil level.
Chevy55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #18
Eman

Liked 104 Times in 59 Posts

Also keep in mind if you change your engine oil and you want to change all of it you have to empty the accusump too.
How and where you plumb it in is important. If you open the accusump with the engine off it might make the gauge go up, but is it flowing through .003 clearance or is it dumping back through the oil pump 1/2" hole and back into the pan?
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #19
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

it is legal in stock,, I ran the accusump on my amc stocker ,, it was a 3 quart system with the 12 volt electric check valve
when the system is properly charged when installed and during oil changes, it provides oil pressure before the engine is started and protection at the loss of oil pressure

the one way 12 volt check is actuated when the ignition switch is turned on and the oil pressure and 3 quarts of oil from the previous start up is stored is released in to the port that's closest to the oil pump ,this will get you oil pressure on your gauge before the engine is cranked ,,, once the engine is started ,oil pressure and oil is stored back into the accusump and once the hobbs switch has seen the pressure it will shut off the the 12 volt check valve and the pressure and oil will be held at the engine oil pressure running ,,

hope this help the explanation

the hobbs switch activates when oil pressure drops below the pressure designated (they come in 15psi or 35psi
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,071 Times in 765 Posts

Doug Duell uses one on C/SA Barracuda.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote