Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #31
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts
Default Re: Aa/sa class dq at denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
There is something not right with every car in regards to original parts. Just the times. The guy with the replacement intake is complaining about a replacement carburetor. That guy is complaining about heads somebody gets to run. Need to enforce the rules evenly and correctly. Maybe the racers need to police themselves a bit. Allow protests once in a while

Todd, ya know the nicest thing about racing my "Aardvarks"? Nobody makes any "replacement" parts at all. What ya see is what ya get.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #32
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
Would we be talking about guys running 383 & 400 low blocks as a 440 because the current tech guys didn't know the visual exterior difference in blocks? As Marvin Gay sang "I Heard it through the Grapevine."
No,that's not it. I seem to recall NHRA lightening the piston/rod assy. weights to keep all of the 440+6 stuff from flying apart. I also seem to recall that right after that, they started staying together..... and going really fast.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #33
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
I have a theory on how the nascar combo got accepted. The bodies in white were production pieces unlike the A990 cars. The factory may have shipped the bodies and single 4bbl motors to the teams but all the paper work went through a dealer making it appear as a production assembled car sold through a dealership.

If anyone knows for a fact I would like to hear the story.
The A990 cars were more of a production car than the BIW Nascar stuff. The Roundy-Round stuff was shipped straight to Nichels Engineering in the early 60's, as they had the Chrysler contract to build that stuff up until Petty got it in 1970-71. Any contract team picked their stuff up from Nichels, non-contract teams purchased the stuff through Nichels. There were no dealers involved in any of the roundy-round stuff.

The '64 and '65 Hemi VIN's are known. There are NO factory "Nascar" motor cars. There were 110 '64 Dodge and Plymouth lightweights (55 each), and 70 '64 Dodge and Plymouth steel nose hardtops (35 each, with aluminum scoop ONLY, all other body panels were regular production steel, and they had a FOUR headlight grille) that had the RACE Hemi, with TWO-four barrels. The Hardtops had Carters, and the Sedan lightweights had Holleys.

The "restored" Nascar Hardtop floating around is the steel nose car Jim Hale was running around 1973-74...it acquired the Nascar items during its restoration...along with the story.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #34
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,664 Times in 851 Posts

Todd can correct me but “Paper Car, Do not Lean” is one neat piece of lettering on a NASCAR Hemi car.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #35
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Todd, ya know the nicest thing about racing my "Aardvarks"? Nobody makes any "replacement" parts at all. What ya see is what ya get.
Any Pontiac V8 stocker is just about the same way. But we need replacement castings for SBC engines because they are hard to find. Lol
Old 07-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #36
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Todd can correct me but “Paper Car, Do not Lean” is one neat piece of lettering on a NASCAR Hemi car.
Lol I have seen that before
Old 07-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #37
Grey Ghost

Liked 210 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post
The A990 cars were more of a production car than the BIW Nascar stuff. The Roundy-Round stuff was shipped straight to Nichels Engineering in the early 60's, as they had the Chrysler contract to build that stuff up until Petty got it in 1970-71. Any contract team picked their stuff up from Nichels, non-contract teams purchased the stuff through Nichels. There were no dealers involved in any of the roundy-round stuff.

The '64 and '65 Hemi VIN's are known. There are NO factory "Nascar" motor cars. There were 110 '64 Dodge and Plymouth lightweights (55 each), and 70 '64 Dodge and Plymouth steel nose hardtops (35 each, with aluminum scoop ONLY, all other body panels were regular production steel, and they had a FOUR headlight grille) that had the RACE Hemi, with TWO-four barrels. The Hardtops had Carters, and the Sedan lightweights had Holleys.

The "restored" Nascar Hardtop floating around is the steel nose car Jim Hale was running around 1973-74...it acquired the Nascar items during its restoration...along with the story.
Thank you Steve. Very interesting. I did not know the steel and aluminium cars had different carbs. Always thought they all originally had carters and holleys later.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #38
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Thank you Steve. Very interesting. I did not know the steel and aluminium cars had different carbs. Always thought they all originally had carters and holleys later.
The first few Sedans had Carters on them, with Chrysler shipping the Holleys later. Once the Carters were found to be the obstruction on the performance of the Hemi, the rest of the lightweight cars were produced with the Holleys. The Hardtop cars, which I should add were 440 trimmed Dodges, and Belvedere trimmed Plymouths, had the Carter's on them since these were intended to be a "street" car, and the Carter had a choke, unlike the Holley.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #39
Paul Precht

Liked 223 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stasko View Post
The first few Sedans had Carters on them, with Chrysler shipping the Holleys later. Once the Carters were found to be the obstruction on the performance of the Hemi, the rest of the lightweight cars were produced with the Holleys. The Hardtop cars, which I should add were 440 trimmed Dodges, and Belvedere trimmed Plymouths, had the Carter's on them since these were intended to be a "street" car, and the Carter had a choke, unlike the Holley.
Wow, quite a street car back in 64, safe to say it had no match.
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #40
lorenr

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Had no idea they made 70 steel bodied hard tops. I thought it was way fewer. Have only seen photos until I saw one at the Winter Nationals. It had one carburetor and I thought it was not real.
For sure it would have been one wicked street car.

lorenr is offline   Reply With Quote