HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #91
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Why is NASCAR Dying ? Video !

Your point about the waning interest of younger people in car culture and motorsports was just fine, and correct.

It would have been taken much better by the young person without the non sequitur remarks about a generation's politics and Ubering from one protest to another.

As long as there have been old people and young people, the young folks will generally be liberal and the old people will be conservative. That is not new, and I wouldn't expect it to change.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #92
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
Your point about the waning interest of younger people in car culture and motorsports was just fine, and correct.

It would have been taken much better by the young person without the non sequitur remarks about a generation's politics and Ubering from one protest to another.

As long as there have been old people and young people, the young folks will generally be liberal and the old people will be conservative. That is not new, and I wouldn't expect it to change.

Your points are well-taken. Sometimes, my frustration with the liberal/conservative thing gets in my way a bit. You're a smart man, and appear to have a kind heart as well. Thanks.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #93
sst1226

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

I think that from a drag racing perspective, it’s alive and well despite how some perceive it. Whether you see the “golden age” or “good ole days” as the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s or 90’s etc, they are all snapshots in time and part of a continuing evolution of which we are all a part of right now. The landscape is changing and will continue to do so.
Regarding drag racing, I would argue that the perceived “decline” in participation in “insert class here” is due to three things:

1. The increase in options offered to someone who wants to go drag racing.

30 years ago, If you wanted to go sportsman drag racing you generally had these choices: Local Brackets, Stock/SuperStock, Comp/TAD/TAFC & .90 classes.30 years later, you still have all of those classes in addition to:The index classes 8.50/10.00/11.50 etc., Big $$ Brackets, Top Dragster/Sportsman, Outlaw 10.5/drag radial/small tire heads-up classes.There are more options for someone who wants to go drag racing now than ever and the period of time in which you first developed an interest in cars probably influences which class you gravitate to. I’m 38 and most guys around my age who are not 2nd gen. racers have more interest in the index and radial classes than in some of the more traditional classes.

2. The price of “admission”.

Classes that have existed for 30+ years also have a population of racers who have competed in them for that long & have that much time and $$ invested into their operation. As the classes evolved and became more complex and expensive so did they and rightfully so. Thus, the cost of purchasing or building a competitive car, with some exceptions increased with it, potentially shying away completely new participants. When I say completely new participants I don’t just mean a young “driver”, I mean someone who owns the car, the tow rig, drives both and knows how to fix them that isn’t 2nd or 3rd generation.

3. The increase in options competing for the general public’s attention.

The same argument for the decline of NASCAR/Drag Racing is being discussed about the NFL, Major League Baseball, Pro Wrestling, Live Music Venues, the music industry etc. and I think what’s happening is that information and entertainment can be had at people’s fingertips and there are more things competing for people's attention and so the need to all go out and congregate at a public event to be in contact with one another is not the priority it once was. I am not concerned that any of these forms of entertainment are on their deathbed. What I am convinced of is that they now consist more of a smaller niche group of people who are wholly committed to it, and that’s ok. Perhaps it’s the days of the “casual” fan or participant that are on the decline.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #94
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 179 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst1226 View Post
I think that from a drag racing perspective, it’s alive and well despite how some perceive it. Whether you see the “golden age” or “good ole days” as the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s or 90’s etc, they are all snapshots in time and part of a continuing evolution of which we are all a part of right now. The landscape is changing and will continue to do so.
Regarding drag racing, I would argue that the perceived “decline” in participation in “insert class here” is due to three things:

1. The increase in options offered to someone who wants to go drag racing.

30 years ago, If you wanted to go sportsman drag racing you generally had these choices: Local Brackets, Stock/SuperStock, Comp/TAD/TAFC & .90 classes.30 years later, you still have all of those classes in addition to:The index classes 8.50/10.00/11.50 etc., Big $$ Brackets, Top Dragster/Sportsman, Outlaw 10.5/drag radial/small tire heads-up classes.There are more options for someone who wants to go drag racing now than ever and the period of time in which you first developed an interest in cars probably influences which class you gravitate to. I’m 38 and most guys around my age who are not 2nd gen. racers have more interest in the index and radial classes than in some of the more traditional classes.

2. The price of “admission”.

Classes that have existed for 30+ years also have a population of racers who have competed in them for that long & have that much time and $$ invested into their operation. As the classes evolved and became more complex and expensive so did they and rightfully so. Thus, the cost of purchasing or building a competitive car, with some exceptions increased with it, potentially shying away completely new participants. When I say completely new participants I don’t just mean a young “driver”, I mean someone who owns the car, the tow rig, drives both and knows how to fix them that isn’t 2nd or 3rd generation.

3. The increase in options competing for the general public’s attention.

The same argument for the decline of NASCAR/Drag Racing is being discussed about the NFL, Major League Baseball, Pro Wrestling, Live Music Venues, the music industry etc. and I think what’s happening is that information and entertainment can be had at people’s fingertips and there are more things competing for people's attention and so the need to all go out and congregate at a public event to be in contact with one another is not the priority it once was. I am not concerned that any of these forms of entertainment are on their deathbed. What I am convinced of is that they now consist more of a smaller niche group of people who are wholly committed to it, and that’s ok. Perhaps it’s the days of the “casual” fan or participant that are on the decline.
These are awesome point.
Added a few here...~

4. Rules restricting the new generation of cars from competing in S/SS.
5. Rules preventing S/SS cars from other associations from competing.
6. Excessive Safety Rules such as Helmet and Seat Belts.

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 AM   #95
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
These are awesome point.
Added a few here...~

4. Rules restricting the new generation of cars from competing in S/SS.
5. Rules preventing S/SS cars from other associations from competing.
6. Excessive Safety Rules such as Helmet and Seat Belts.

D
Really Dan. Lets look at your concerns. #4; What new generation of cars are restricted from competing in S/SS? Seems to be no shortage of newer Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers running in these classes. Of course, like it has been for over 1/2 century, any combination has to be in the NHRA classification guide to be eligible, and have all the required specs and numbers to be in the guide, otherwise how could anything be checked for compliance?
#5; What rules preventing "cars from other associations" from competing, other than following the NHRA rules that have been in print for decades? Just because somebody decided to build a car that does not meet NHRAs rules and specs, & chose to build an oddball fringe classed car, that was only legal to run in " another association" , and that "other association" decided despite having many , many oddball classes, there was not enough interest to warrant continuing to to host these classes, I fail to see how that is NHRAs problem. If you want to run a NHRA Stock or S/S class, build or buy a car that meets the class requirements. Simple, right?
#6, really, seat belts and helmets are "excessive" in your eyes? Words fail me on that one!
Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #96
FrankChastain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Two words Cost to fans and Management....
FrankChastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #97
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

Another interesting article....

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/325850
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #98
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Another interesting article....

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/325850
It looks to me like the "Ivory Tower Boys" could pick up a few tips from reading this!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #99
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

The writer made a good point of discussing and analyzing certain areas where NASCAR apparently is or has failed and possible solutions to overcome the situation. It remains to. BE seen if the powers to be are receptive and incorporate them into there overa plans---many sports should take heed and seriously examine where they are how they got to the present position and what steps they are going to take in the future. My 2 cents---FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #100
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,665 Times in 851 Posts

I’m convinced there are no strategic discussions in the Ivory Tower...recall Clifford having group discussions with racers, with nothing of note coming from it. It seems to be focused on the Nitro powerhouses of DSR and JFR with spattering of Kallita and such. Capture the short attention span of the casual fans and then let them fill the midways looking for wares and overpriced concessions. FSS is refreshing but mostly just a interesting filler until the Fuel cars roll back to the lanes. Strategically they shouldn’t have jerked around the PS cars. Fuel Injection, any engine in identical carbon fiber Camaros, “helping” them with a 18 race schedule but making them run the Western Swing while sitting out places like Charlotte and Bristol (but that’s ok because they’ll now insert Mountain Motor PS there) all the while pushing Pro Mod as the replacement class. They change the fuel rules to speed them up, then slow them back down. They need racers calling the shots, not suits who are apparently as lost as the NASCAR hierarchy. NHRA’s arrogance increases, emboldened by the demise of IHRA as an alternative. They say “take it or leave it” and 99% of the time we take it, simply because the sport is in our blood and there is no cure. I’m always struck by Alan Reinhart’s (or Frey/McClelland) enthusiasm as he announces true sportsman classes. You’re thinking “my gosh, it doesn’t get much better than this” and then look around and there’s nobody in the stands and just us sportsman types and crews hugging the fence. Perhaps we’re the relics just hanging on to the IC power train and NHRA has already accepted that reality and is just nursing it as long as possible. In any case Wally Parks envisioned a great sport that sure has been a great ride. At some point, be it either in a Chevy Volt or Nursing Home Wheelchair I and many others will continue to feed the competitive spirit, just don’t think it will be quite the same.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote