HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 04-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #11
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Lest anyone think there's been no progress at all lately, here are a few new pictures.

Here the fuel cell is in.

Here's the underside, with the fuel pump and filter. The main fuel line is installed, but it's clear that I need a 90 degree AN fitting to run to the fuel cell, so that will be a few more days before that's done.

Next I'll be putting the axles in and checking tire clearance prior to buying the wheels and tires for the back.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-07-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
Dave Muller

I'm inching along a little further, the vent tube is ready once I get the correct fitting, and the line from the fuel cell is in. I will trim off the vent tube so that about 1/2" protrudes, then the four bolts hanging there will attach straps that capture a rectangular piece of foam to protect the vent from any debris going in. Probably overkill, but I prefer it that way.

I also measured for tire clearance. It looks to me like either 5" or 5.5" backspacing would work for a 10" wheel (assuming a 9 x 30 tire), but I think 5" will center the tire better. On the other hand if I start with 5.5" backspace I can always use spacers to adjust. So I'm still on the fence a bit there.

I tried installing the rear sway bar, it's a 1" bar of the general sort the factory used. It's a UMI Performance piece, same company as made the control arms I'm using. But it doesn't seem to quite fit, it appears to be about 5/16" too wide. I'm leaning towards just returning it and getting the H and R Parts sway bar. It's more expensive (that's why I originally went with the stock type) but it should circumvent the current problem, and it sounds like they work better anyway.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-07-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
Dave Muller

After three weekends with races, plus getting sick in the midst of it, not a lot has gotten done the last few weeks.

I did send back the stock-style rear sway bar that didn't quite fit. I plan to use an H&R Parts bar.

This weekend my schedule was finally clear enough, and I felt well enough, to dig back in. So here we go with my first attempt at a proper rust repair.

Here's what I'm starting with:

This is what I found behind it:

Here's the quarter panel after some wire brushing:

Here's a first fitting, with some trimming still needed:

I think I have the trimming very nearly done (not as seen in that picture, I worked on it more after that). It fits well enough that I could go with it, but I'll tweak it a little better before trying to weld it in.

It should be better than the fix I did on my first drag race car. It was a rusty '69 Camaro that I got for next to nothing in 1979. It had several small rust holes, but I just sanded them down, covered them with aluminum tape and bondo. It actually looked really good, and still did several years later when I sold it. But I'm sure when it was re-done later they got a laugh at the hack job some idiot (me!) did.

Meanwhile I should get my backing plates back momentarily, modified to fit the Moser rear, and I should be able to put the axles in and install the drum brakes in the rear.

I also have three more very small holes to fill in the body, just a few square inches total. It looks like someone drilled a bunch of holes very close together to try to pull out a small dent in the front of the hood. There's also a very small square missing from the bottom of one fender where I'm guessing there used to be a rust hole. What's left seems clean and solid though. Plus there's the hole for the antenna. Front there it's just bondo, primer and block sanding. It won't be close to being a show car, but it should look okay on the track.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-07-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #14
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Here's the carb, which was a swap meet special, now with lots of new parts from Larry Fulton.
Not a 100 pt. restoration but I think it looks alright.

Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #15
Dave Muller

At this point I have it trimmed about the best I can, so I went ahead and welded it in:

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-07-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #16
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,416 Times in 1,683 Posts

Dave, You might want to consider using Aluma Lead filler in that area.
It's harder to sand and gummier on your paper, but it resists water better than regular Bondo.
Not that you'll be driving in the rain, but on the burnout you know...Might not hurt.
Comes in quarts too.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #17
Dave Muller

I'll check into it, wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #18
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

You can probably borrow some wheels/tires of both backspacing to test fit. These will be pretty common to find. I really like the '66 body style.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 06-03-2015 at 11:58 PM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:26 AM   #19
Dave Muller

That looks gorgeous!

I have always thought that 66s were the best looking Chevelles.

I already have the tires and wheels. I took enough measurements to convince myself that 5.5" backspacing was the way to go. Still don't have the backing plates back, and I won't be verifying the tire clearance until then, but I'm pretty sure it'll work. May or may not take a little persuasion. The fact that the same size works for Mark Faul helped convince me as well. The wheels I used for taking measurements were close to that offset as well.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:42 AM   #20
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

If you need backing plates Dave we may have some lying around.