HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Jackie McCracken

Cool extortion email

I got an extortion email this morning that I'm pretty sure they got my information from the classracer site. They had my email address and the password I use on the site. You might want to check your shyte... If anybody gets one of these and it has a bitcoin address to send money too please report it to the FBI as they can use it maybe track down these pieces of shyte and at a minimum shutdown the bitcoin account and shut it off. I also reported it to the webmaster here.

FYI - As an IT professional with 40 years in the business I will tell you if you didn't already know, don't ever use the same password for multiple things unless it is something you don't care about. For stuff you really care about use complex passwords that even if someone knew you they couldn't guess. I can offer some tips in this area but only through PM.

Jackie McCracken

Old 07-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Yo Ken
Administrator

Liked 557 Times in 35 Posts
Default Re: extortion email

There is no way passwords can be accessed on Class Racer. Passwords in users profile are left blank, we can not view them and neither can anyone else. I suggest you check your security protocols.

Please contact us first before telling members that Class Racer is the problem. There are many ways for hackers to view anyone saved passwords in the browsers they use. Hackers do not have access to Class Racers database. Security patches are updated regularly on the Class Racer server.

Ken
Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

Don't expect the FBI or any other agency to do anything other than take your computer for several weeks, return it and then say they can't do anything.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Darts View Post
Don't expect the FBI or any other agency to do anything other than take your computer for several weeks, return it and then say they can't do anything.
I agree. I deleted over 30,000 emails and nothing happened to me. Hillary Clinton
Old 07-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
Fireofficer5

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts

I saved my russian emails and nothing happened yet.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: extortion email

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
I agree. I deleted over 30,000 emails and nothing happened to me. Hillary Clinton
LOL......Best post on here yet !
Old 07-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
Jackie McCracken

Cool Re: extortion email

Ken,

I didn't say they got the password from the classracer website. I may have insinuated that and I apologize. It was just that they had the password I use here so I was giving you a heads up. I did some more checking since I have a couple hundred sites that I have logins on and there are a couple others where I use the same password. I also warned them.

However as we discussed offline yesterday saying there is no way they could have got it here is false. Just this morning the US DOJ indicted Russians for stealing UID's and passwords, it can be done if you know what you're doing and the people doing this stuff are paid professionals that do it for a living all day every day. How many news stories have been published in just the past year of huge multinational companies being hacked and getting users passwords?

The reason I posted here was to give people I care about a heads up to be on the lookout for "suspicious activity", email, etc. and to report it to the FBI if they got a bitcoin account number in the correspondence which lights them up because they have something specific to look at and go after and they will. Of course they don't check every report they get, we as tax payers couldn't afford for them to do so but an active account number is not just spam or phishing, it's something real that can be traced.

I'll dig out the IP's and send them to you although they are most likely bogus since spoofing the origination IP is not that difficult and these people are obviously sophisticated enough to know that.. unless of course they're trying to make it look like Russians hacked hillies servers ;-)

Jackie McCracken

Old 07-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Yo Ken
Administrator

Liked 557 Times in 35 Posts

Thanks Jackie, I will stay on top this.

I'm closing this thread, no room for politics here.
Closed Thread