HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts
Default Attn: ford gurus!

I was sitting around pondering some bugging questons about race engines and one that keeps popping up is: How in the world do 289 ford engines run as well as they do? Just taking a look at a 289 Ford against a 283 chevy the difference in the exhause ports sitck out like a sore thumb. Without looking at the NHRA blueprint sheets I am not sure who has the bigger valves, more compression, or more CFM in the carb. With my ignorant observation the 289 looks like it would not be able to breathe past 4500 due to the small exhaust ports but I have seen some "wicked" 289 ford superstock cars and know that is not the case. Looking at the classification giudes the 289 Superstock engines are 15hp less than the 283. The 289 stock engines are 10hp less automatic and 16 less stick than the 283'S. This is not to start a Ford vs Chevy war as I am non-denominational when it comes to the name on the engine, I am just interested in the characteristics of a particular engine combo. I have noticed that 289 stockers are not as common as 283's, but are more common in superstock. Do 289 heads not come alive untill they have has a "legal" superstock port job? If anyone has done some dyno work on both 289 and 283 engines (without giving out secrets) how much HP difference on average is there between the two engines. If anyone is willing to give input, thanks in advance for your reply. Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
LSP

Default Re: Attn: ford gurus!

Kip Martin has built both, he might chime in.