HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 07-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
gnicholson

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default msd ignition box

i have a 7al2 box on my car ive used forever that still works fine.i keep ruining starter drive return springs on my Hitachi gear reduction starters. currently i have no start retard on the car. i do have a starter saver on the car that isn't hooked up. i have been hesitant to use it due to all the reported missing problems with those things. anyway i think the starter cranking the engine at 38 degrees and occasionally kicking back is the main problem. Anyway I'm thinking about hooking the start retard up or buying 7al3 box as i dont have a spare or stepping up to a grid. i like simplicity and reliability is my main deterrent but it would be nice to program a curve .maybe add 8 degrees or so on the throttle stop like a vacuum adv but then again more stuff to screw up the consistency. reading the msd grid thread and thought i would get opinions
gnicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
Hacksaw

Liked 272 Times in 149 Posts
Default Re: msd ignition box

Look at the 7al2 plus.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

You can also go 'half-Grid' and use the 7730 controller with your 7AL-2.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
SST159

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

I replace my starter spring every winter. When I do so the old one is shot. They just don't last long plus its a good piece of mind. Not hard to do if your able to remove and install the starter without a big hassle. I wouldn't think it has much to do with engine kicking back. I run 39 degrees without any retard or start assistance. It only kicks back once in a while.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
gnicholson

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

thanks for the reply. has anyone played around with a digital advance curve? say a little less timing at torque peak and maybe another 6 degrees while on the stop and say 3 or 4 degrees at the top end over best torque peak timing? be interesting to try. would definitely show a little leaner on the stop with more timing although you would have to close the throttle a little more. definitely more efficient. i think a few degrees more on the top would help too.
gnicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #6
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts

Keep in mind every change in t-stop setting changes where this timing change would take place But please try and let me know how it works
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote