HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
NHRA 303

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thermodynamics of stainless headers

Okay Ive combed the net. And i cant seem to find any information explaining how stainless steel headers perform over standard mild steel tubing. Ive seen the results for myself. And its very impressive. I know it has to do with the improvements in thermodynamic flow of the header tubing itself. But due to what exactly?
Thank you in advance my fellow racers.

Steve Tucholsky
Old 11-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: Thermodynamics of stainless headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA 303 View Post
Okay Ive combed the net. And i cant seem to find any information explaining how stainless steel headers perform over standard mild steel tubing. Ive seen the results for myself. And its very impressive. I know it has to do with the improvements in thermodynamic flow of the header tubing itself. But due to what exactly?
Thank you in advance my fellow racers.

Steve Tucholsky
http://www.burnsstainless.com/stainlesssteel.aspx

http://www.perfweldheaders.com/svsm.html
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,040 Times in 272 Posts

I suppose I'm biased, but I don't think stainless out performs mild steel if the mild steel has the correct coating. And the coating works real well on stainless, too.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

Once you go stainless, you won't go back. It doesn't matter if you get mild steel headers coated, they will still rust after a while on the inside and outside. Then, every time you spin your motor over, you're pulling all that rust into the engine.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,705 Times in 853 Posts

Use SSDiv6's link to get Mark Lelchook's contact info and give him a call. While the main reason for stainless is longevity Mark can give you more insight into the properties of stainless and it's advantages. Plus his work is absolutely craftmanship at its finest.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: Thermodynamics of stainless headers

Stainless steel doesn't absorb heat along its surfaces. It reflects it.Chrome moly or mild steel absorbs heat as the exhaust travels along its length.Seems to me that the exhaust temperature leaving the collector would have to be hotter than the other material headers. All of your wives probably have Revere Ware stainless cookware. The reason the base of the pots and pans have a copper coating bonded to it is so that heat absorption will occur, otherwise food wouldn't cook very well. The heat from the flame would just go around the pot on its way up. 80 or so years ago, railroad mechanical engineers, always looking for more efficiency,tried building a steam locomotive boiler with stainless flues,in an attempt to cut down on rust, frequent maintenance, and constant boiler flue replacement. That engine steamed so poorly that it couldn't get out of its own way, so seamless steel tubing went right back in. I also would surmise that under hood temperatures on cars with stainless headers would be lower due to the same factor.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
NHRA 303

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW. Thank you so much for the great reply's. That makes so much sense. Even in my original question "Thermodynamics". I guess i was looking for a fluid dynamic answer, to a thermodynamic question.
After reading the "Burns article". It just made sense. This pretty much says it all:
Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel we use in header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector. This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency.
Thanks again everyone. I luv reading all of your posts to every subject.

Steve Tucholsky
Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA 303 View Post
WOW. Thank you so much for the great reply's. That makes so much sense. Even in my original question "Thermodynamics". I guess i was looking for a fluid dynamic answer, to a thermodynamic question.
After reading the "Burns article". It just made sense. This pretty much says it all:
Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel we use in header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector. This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency.
Thanks again everyone. I luv reading all of your posts to every subject.

Steve Tucholsky
Steve,

You were actually looking for a Gas Dynamics response which happens to be related to Fluid Dynamics.

Here is a link to a good treatise regarding Gas Dynamics.

http://www3.nd.edu/~powers/ame.30332/notes.pdf
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Steve,

You were actually looking for a Gas Dynamics response which happens to be related to Fluid Dynamics.

Boy I was right with you until I hit the bit on tensors. It's been 30 years since I did that in college and I've sort of forgotten most of the mathematics.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Andrew Hill

Liked 170 Times in 38 Posts
Talking Re: Thermodynamics of stainless headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Steve,

I've seen notes very similar to those before!