HOME MAGAZINE FORUM RULES SPONSORS CONTACT
     
   
   
 
Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
typhoon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Default AMC Stocker suggestions

Any body recommend any AMC cars for entry level stock classes?
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Mark Yacavone
Sponsor
 
Mark Yacavone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: A Thousand Miles From Nowhere
Posts: 4,946
Default Re: AMC Stocker suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Any body recommend any AMC cars for entry level stock classes?
There are several V8 4 bbl engines that are good combos.

The first question though, is what do you consider entry level?
__________________
" We are put on this earth to toil and to make things. "-John Mellencamp
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Nmbr1GMfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 847
Default Re: AMC Stocker suggestions

I thought I saw an AMC in pieces for sale a year of so ago if memory serves.
__________________
Todd Greene
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
jmcarter
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond Hill GA (and Port Ludlow WA)
Posts: 2,582
Default Re: AMC Stocker suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
I thought I saw an AMC in pieces for sale a year of so ago if memory serves.
Maybe Mike Meires Spirit with a disassembled 304? He sold that one, almost went after it myself.
__________________
Jim Carter
2340 Stock
2340 SST/2340 Super Stock
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member
 
Dwight Southerland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Arkansas - In the middle of everything.
Posts: 1,757
Default Re: AMC Stocker suggestions

How fast do you want to go and how much money do you want to spend?
__________________
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
Nmbr1GMfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 847
Default Re: AMC Stocker suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Maybe Mike Meires Spirit with a disassembled 304? He sold that one, almost went after it myself.
Thats the one.
__________________
Todd Greene
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Alan Nyhus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lower Dakota territory
Posts: 736
Default Re: AMC Stocker suggestions

The '69 Rambler Rogue sedan with the 290-225(210) looks interesting. Nice cam, good compression, good carb, decent heads and intake.

As always...what's the budget, do you have a car or parts now, etc.? -Al
__________________
"That'll never work....."
Alan Nyhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
Tom Goldman
VIP Member
 
Tom Goldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Allentown,PA
Posts: 2,101
Default Re: AMC Stocker suggestions

A FEW are good combos , Very few are inexpensive at entry level.
The Rogue 290 is always offered up as a possibility ,Although finding one that is decent enough to start a build from is difficult and the engine is not cheap to build correctly.
The best entry level car is the '77 Gremlin 258 2bbl combo for R or T .
The biggest expense is the cylinder head , Stock rods and Badger cast pistons will last for years …...The car itself can use a stock model 20 rear with Moser street axles ,4.44 gears and a stock posi with slapper bars and decent shocks
A stock 998 2.75 first gear trans with a Cheatah valve body and a good converter are all that's necessary for a basic car that can still run 80-90 under with the proper tuning.
__________________
Tom Goldman 1500 SG , 1506 STK
Tom Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #9
Mark Yacavone
Sponsor
 
Mark Yacavone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: A Thousand Miles From Nowhere
Posts: 4,946
Default Re: AMC Stocker suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
A FEW are good combos , Very few are inexpensive at entry level.
The Rogue 290 is always offered up as a possibility ,Although finding one that is decent enough to start a build from is difficult and the engine is not cheap to build correctly.
The best entry level car is the '77 Gremlin 258 2bbl combo for R or T .
The biggest expense is the cylinder head , Stock rods and Badger cast pistons will last for years …...The car itself can use a stock model 20 rear with Moser street axles ,4.44 gears and a stock posi with slapper bars and decent shocks
A stock 998 2.75 first gear trans with a Cheatah valve body and a good converter are all that's necessary for a basic car that can still run 80-90 under with the proper tuning.
Tommy, The Gremlins and Pacers are so collectible ;-) , one ought to look for a Hornet station wagon..Still makes V/SA, with a scrap value body, if you can find one.
Plus it has that wagon Jr. Stock look :-)
__________________
" We are put on this earth to toil and to make things. "-John Mellencamp
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Alan Nyhus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lower Dakota territory
Posts: 736
Default Re: AMC Stocker suggestions

Wasn't there a white Hornet wagon out of Div 7 a few years back?
__________________
"That'll never work....."
Alan Nyhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Class Racer.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.Ad Management plugin by RedTyger