HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 08-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr
Default Me, three years later

Some of you remember my health issues I talked about here three years ago. It ended up being Multiple Sclerosis. And I am happy to say that, three years later, I am doing wonderful. My mom is doingwellafter her February 2011 stroke. Dad is doing mostly well with his cancer treatments. The skin cancer is all gone, and he will have a procedure or two done later this fall after work slows down (yeah, it's ben a wonderful three years for my family and I. lol)

On this date (August 12) three years ago, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. And, three years later, I am happy to say that I am probably as healthy, if not more so, than I have been in a LONG time. I met my weight goal of 200 pounds (199.0 a week ago), and am as light as I probably have been in close to twenty years (1998, my Senior year of high school, I weighed 270, and was 232 in late February). My quarterly blood tests I get, to check liver function which can be negatively affected by my weekly Avonex injections, have shown everything is fine (blood sugar, A1C, kidney, liver, thyroid, cholesterol and everything else). My blood sugar readings have been below 100 (below 90 actually) every time I have checked it in the past six months. Even with M.S., I can walk several miles a day with no problems (did over eight the other day, and have done as many as 10-12 miles, several times, over a day as well in two walks). Diet and excercise are a wonderful help, and I can still eat pizza, lasagne and burgers once in a while. I am blessed that 98-99% of the time, I feel great. Only if I overdo/overdid things at the gym, yardwork, etc do I feel sore/tired/bad. Had a few ups and downs, on a personal level, the past year or so, but I am over all that **** and those people. And I do still have a partial permanent vision loss in my left eye (60/20 in June 2013, was 3/200 in May 2010) but I can deal with that. I just have trouble seeing things far away (a dragstrip scoreboard, for example, some of the numbers can be a little hard to read), but if that is the worst thing I have to complain about, I'd rather shut up. I am blessed that despite everything, I can live a normal (well, with me, you have to re-define what's "normal"--LMAO), happy, healthy life. And I can only hope and pray that things continue to go as well as they are.

I do post periodic updates on my Facebook page, so feel free to add me there ( www.facebook.com/buffdaddy1302 )

Here is a good photo for comparison. On the left, me in April 2010 at 265 or so pounds. On the right, me in May 2013 at 203 pounds.

Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Me, three years later

Great news Mike. Obviously your mental approach and physical work has ALL paid off.
Dick Butler
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrates Mike. Looking good. Mine was 8-9-10 diagonastic date. I guess I could lose a few pounds, but at 6'4" and 195, don't have much to lose, lol. I just need to exersize, not more, just need to start,lol. Wife and I do a lot of walking when the weather isn't 100+ degrees. She has bad knees and Mitral valve, so getting around isnt' as easy for her.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

I know that feeling, sometimes my knee will bother me and limit what I can do, as well as the heat. Despite that, when I started my walks on February 25th, I now have about four hundred seventy five miles walked out on the back roads here in PA (Pennsyltucky as we call it). My buddy said if I lose four more pounds, I will weight he same as him. Of course, he is 6'3'' or 4, so it looks better on him hahaha. Still, I feel great, and am blessed to feel as good as I do. Next goal is to make 190, and go from there. My Dr has a chart with ideal weight for your height, mine is 160-165. I don't see myself getting to that small...I still like occasional pizza, burgers and lasagna.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Wow it also looks like you have more hair
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Mike Carr
VIP Member

lol, I have the same hair I always did...though it is a wonder that I haven't pulled all of mine out by now. haha
Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Keep up the good work Mike.I also have the same amount of hair I"ve had,just a bit more forehead.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Yesterday was seven months since I have been on the Avonex flex-pen (auto-inject similar to insulin). Been doing great, just as well as the three years I was on the traditional injections. IS anyone on, or know someone who is on the flexpen? All seems well for the most part.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Me, three years later

It looks like your doing OK Mike. Glad to hear it. Tell your mom and Dad I said hello and I think about them often. It was 91 degrees here in Fla. the other day. Don't think I could stand the cold up north after 4 years of good weather. Had a dream (or was it a nightmare?) about Top Stock last night.....LOL.
Hope the Race (Class Nats #2) is a good one and you guys have great weather. I will be there in spirit. Pease remind Mike Beard to send me the name and address of the winner and runner up in U/SA so I can send them out a check ASAP.
Take care
Terry
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: Me, three years later

Heard from Mike this morning. Im sending him the check or individual checks out Monday depending on how he wants the $$$$ so these guys can be paid on the spot. Take Care
Terry
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote