HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Mike Meier

Liked 40 Times in 8 Posts
Default Enclosed car hauler questions:

I have been looking into getting a new transporter for the up-coming season. The truck I have been looking at in particular is a converted '31 foot long former moving truck.

The person selling it made the conversion himself and satisfied Pennsylvania's requirements to get it titled as a motorhome (running water, a bed, cooking device - microwave, and a refrigerator). It has 16 feet in the back to haul a car (my AMC would have room to spare).

Mechanical and operational semantics aside, I am making this post to see if anyone who currently has a similar set-up could share their experiences in regards to titling and insuring them. I live in NJ so if any NJ-specific advice would be extra helpful.

One of the things I was told recently was that by hauling a car in the truck disqualifies it as a "motorhome". Another thing I was told is that NJ likes to classify trucks like duallys as commercial vehicles (in a way that is relevant since this truck has dual rear wheels). I wanted to confirm these.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Enclosed car hauler questions:

Sounds like a great project, Mike! I wish I had some insight to your DMV issues. The converted furniture/moving van was a very popular upgrade from the ramp-truck, and I remember seeing a lot of them on the East Coast in the late 60's and early 70's. Lou Olynick did quite a few conversions, most notably for Bill Jenkins' Pro-Stock Vega, with beautiful parquet wood flooring. That truck is still around the NJ/PA area, showing up at the York Reunion in 2010.

Not sure if you've seen this thread, but a lot of good ideas here - http://classracer.com/classforum/sho...+truck+trailer

Good luck!

Lew
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA

Last edited by Lew Silverman; 12-03-2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Added link
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote