HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tubes or Tubeless?

I suppose this will be as much of a disagreement amongst people as the timers thread!

Back when I was running S/G and brackets almost nobody ran tubeless, but now it seems that a majority of people are tubeless. I saw on a different thread (in the stock/SS forum) that running tubes was seen as dangerous as they felt a blowout would be catastrophic with a tube but only a slow leak if tubeless. Am I missing something?

I crashed my car in the top end before (boomed a motor just before the traps), and one of the rear wheels was completely bent (where it landed on its side on the guardrail), but it was still holding air. It went up enough on the other side that the sidewall was all chafed, but it still did not loose any air. This was a tube chassis Vega with 16x32 Goodyears with natural rubber tubes and rim screws.

A year ago I watched a friend in Top Dragster (running 13" slicks tubeless with rim screws), and she got sideways due to a cross wind, and bounced side-to-side until one tire blew (it broke the rim screws), at which point she did a barrell roll.

What are the arguments pro and con? Obviously you remove rotating mass by eliminating tubes and screws, but I am more concerned with safety.

Regards,
Old 10-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Tubes or Tubeless?

We've always used tubes.Not necessarily from a safety standpoint,but the sidewalls last longer using tubes.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
SSTRACER323

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to SSTRACER323

I ran tubes in my S/ST car. It made my car more stable that is for sure
SSTRACER323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
Lou SG2340

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ran tubes for years, now I don,t. Do not see a difference.
Lou SG2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
R&S Motorsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Always ran Tubeless and never had a problem however I go through a set of tires about every 100 runs sidewalls go away! On a side note your friend with the top dragster was that like a old comp elimanator car with only 13" wide tires?
R&S Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&S Motorsports View Post
Always ran Tubeless and never had a problem however I go through a set of tires about every 100 runs sidewalls go away! On a side note your friend with the top dragster was that like a old comp elimanator car with only 13" wide tires?
Not sure if it was originally a comp car, but it was a fairly lightweight, small-block powered mid-7 second car. She had mentioned that it ran a bit slower but obviously hooked better with a bigger set of tires. This was at a bracket finals, and the track prep was pretty decent.