Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #41
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts
Default Re: Schubeck lifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Just had a Schubeck junk my west coast swing engine. Same cam ,lifters, and stuff we have used for two or three years. Oil pan was full of ceramic and cam metal. I might be able to save rods and crank.

It might be time for roller lifters. Do any of the present cars, not copos, dragpaks, or C jets, have flat tappet lifters?
Re: "Live" from our sea to shining sea tour 2015

Broken Shubeck lifter!!
Took out a lot of stuff with it! Not fixable, might be able to save some pieces. Still haven't totally disassembled. Don't know yet if we will continue on with the trip with the pink Challenger. Should know by this afternoon.
Patsy

Reposted from another thread
Mike A114
P/SA

Old 10-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #42
blueboatcar

Liked 11 Times in 1 Post

We don't need roller lifters in stock. If you want roller lifters build a combination that came with them or go race super stock.
blueboatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #43
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts

I think I'm at around 4 years with Trend tool steel flat tappets, no failures reported by any customers. Trend has been around for years, the guys at Comp are extremely familiar with them, Tim Cole at Comp is one of the reasons I started with Trend, and I have zero regrets.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #44
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,418 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboatcar View Post
We don't need roller lifters in stock. If you want roller lifters build a combination that came with them or go race super stock.
Times two

I don't know who you are ,but thanks for saving me from making a post on this subject.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #45
Robert Simpson

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

I disagree with roller lifters unless your combo came with them. I know we can not go back on some rules but if there was a spring pressure limit that would not require shubeck style lifters we may not have as many problems as this. This is turn would slow some combinations down but in time (lower RPM's) HP would be reduced and we would be better off. Look, the only thing separating Stock from SS (from the 80's-90's) is a intake, pan and and any lift roller cam. We already have the crank, rods, block, pistons, rings, HEADS, rockers and carbs. Stop turning Stock into Super Stock light. I know the New cars are Super modified style engines in Stock but they are in there own classes. Just my opinion.
Robert Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #46
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
Just for information, I have a proposal into NHRA to allow aftermarket rollers in lieu of flat tappets. Why not try to get some folks to work on this. There has not been a flat tappet since the early 80's and I pointed that out along with only one manufacturer in the US. I know we squabble a bit, but those things are bad ancient unlike most of the old cars which are good ancient. Bruce, jump on that and get the troops to emailing CA and the Divisions. It's time for a change on that.
Wow, that sounds radical. I can't wait to hear what a 396 375 sounds like at 10000 RPM.
Since we are On that path, I think we should open up the valvetrain to Titanium valves and retainers. Don't forget clamshells on the camshaft.

This is just asking to get out eleminatior merged into superstock. I'm not interested 2k in new valvetrain parts just to keep up. NO THANKS. If you keep breaking stuff, spend money and do some spintron testing. Or buy a new car, and you get all that already.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #47
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post
I disagree with roller lifters unless your combo came with them. I know we can not go back on some rules but if there was a spring pressure limit that would not require shubeck style lifters we may not have as many problems as this.
X2 Why do we allow any valve spring pressure anyway? I doubt that facts would support that it has been cheaper for anyone, reduced the number or parts failures, or made it easier in anyway for racers. It's easier for NHRA Tech guys (maybe) and that's all.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #48
GregP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post
I disagree with roller lifters unless your combo came with them. I know we can not go back on some rules but if there was a spring pressure limit that would not require shubeck style lifters we may not have as many problems as this. This is turn would slow some combinations down but in time (lower RPM's) HP would be reduced and we would be better off. Look, the only thing separating Stock from SS (from the 80's-90's) is a intake, pan and and any lift roller cam. We already have the crank, rods, block, pistons, rings, HEADS, rockers and carbs. Stop turning Stock into Super Stock light. I know the New cars are Super modified style engines in Stock but they are in there own classes. Just my opinion.
I agree 100%, we are already using roller rockers and other items that take Stock toward the superstockers. lets keep stockers with what they currently have. I think the roller rockers shouldnt be allowed unless the engine was origional equiped with. I hate to say it out loud but when NHRA allows stock to venture off like they have with some of the parts etc it makes it look like someone is pushing the evelope to them for more parts sales etc.
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #49
GregP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Times two

I don't know who you are ,but thanks for saving me from making a post on this subject.
X Two..
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #50
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Again I say, I have already sent in the request to CA. Need reinforcement. You gotta wear out Tech in CA and IN and every Division and every SRAC member. I got no flat tappet stuff. I got no dog here, but after very recent identical problems with Sammy Pizzolato and Larry Hill within one month, yall gotta get in the battle.