HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #31
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: Class Nationals event planning

Sounds like an event worth traveling for.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #32
Joe Martens

Liked 181 Times in 62 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Joe Martens

[QUOTE=Larry Hill;357695]It would be a great race, count us in! If possible have it on a weekend between two other race weekends, of close proximity, so racers could make the race coming or going.

Count me in, also!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #33
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 88 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
Tell me when and where. Last time I arrived a day early just to help. Same this time. It seemed to work great last time.
I recall you had an enjoyable and successful weekend there Jeff!
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #34
dug283

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mike, my hats off to you for taking the lead for this,

I have no doubt that it will be a 1st class event.  You can count me in.

My one suggestion is:
- IHRA rules: HP, Index ect.
- Round money start with round one win. Winning a round of stock or super stock is very difficult and they are badges of honor when achieved. I still have the round pay stubs from the Bill Bader days and use them as starters for bragging.  Even though the majority are the $40.00 1st round checks, they are far more valuable as my memory props.

dug283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #35
Matt Welker

Liked 67 Times in 14 Posts

Any race running class goes to the top of our list!

Many racers show up Thursday or early Friday for divisionals. Why not have a scheduled smaller $ race on Friday with or without the test and tune? That makes it a double race weekend for many, which makes a longer tow worth the expense. I know some worry about the $, but some of us just wantore races/runs for the time we give to the sport. Race1/class/race2 makes it three races for one tow if you can get there on Friday.
Matt Welker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #36
Dave1695

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Sounds like a great idea Mike; I would like to attend a race like that, keep us posted on the progress.
Dave1695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #37
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Tri-State Raceway IN Earlville Iowa Is "a winner" with all the racers in the area.
I will do some research and take it into consideration. I looked at 5 years of weather data and it generally looks pretty good there. Another track I'd looked at and talked to a couple of years ago was Cordova. I'd worked with Scott, Laura, and Taz at a number of bracket finals, and I noticed they have a strong base with S/SS cars at their LODRS.

Quote:
The original US Class Nationals allowed ALL cars, NHRA and IHRA, that were legal S/SS cars. That's the only way to do it. For concerns in Class Eliminations situtations, if a car can fit both sanctioning bodies, use the NHRA class and horsepower. Use the NHRA/IHRA-only rules, for cars that only fit one (Pure Stock, Stock/GT, Crate Motor, etc).
That was my thought. I would use the IHRA indexes (aka old NHRA indexes)... y'all can go stupid far under and enjoy it without getting horsepower. ;-)

Quote:
Tire rule comes to mind...
Most crate motor cars run the 9" radial to begin with. That's an issue we could discuss and get input from both sides, but that's getting into details before we even fully develop the big picture.

Quote:
I know it's not fair How about an east coast and a west coast race. (2 races)?
I'll do the east coast if you do the west. ;-)

Quote:
If possible have it on a weekend between two other race weekends, of close proximity, so racers could make the race coming or going.
That would make it better for some, and make it impossible for others. There's always a trade off, and we just have to weigh those. Scheduling is very difficult, as there are a TON of races going on when you consider Nat'l and Div'l in both sanctioning bodies. Inevitably, you're going to be on top of *something*, and no one date and location is going to be perfect for everyone. I'm looking at first weekend in May in the "eastern mid-west". I realize that in 2013 that would be on top of the Atlanta national, but 1) we don't know the 2014 schedule, and 2) the 2012 Atlanta national was not well attended -- and those that were there were primarily "locals" to the region. This race would have to draw from the most populated areas/divisions, then hope to draw some percentage of support of surrounding regions.

Quote:
- Round money start with round one win. Winning a round of stock or super stock is very difficult and they are badges of honor when achieved. I still have the round pay stubs from the Bill Bader days and use them as starters for bragging. Even though the majority are the $40.00 1st round checks
Unfortunately, that is a mathematical impossibility. In order to cover track rental and all of the misc expenses (advertising, trophies, extra staff, hotels, etc) and pay first round winners, you'd either be running for peanuts to win, or pay an astronomical entry fee.

Quote:
Many racers show up Thursday or early Friday for divisionals. Why not have a scheduled smaller $ race on Friday with or without the test and tune? That makes it a double race weekend for many, which makes a longer tow worth the expense. I know some worry about the $, but some of us just wantore races/runs for the time we give to the sport. Race1/class/race2 makes it three races for one tow if you can get there on Friday.
Small money races and test n' tunes will not cover a day's track rental unless you have a substantial turnout and participation. Plus, if you schedule on-track activities on Friday, everyone will bump up their planned arrival by yet another day, incurring more costs in hotels, staffing, time off work, etc -- for both the racer and the staff. It's always possible that the track would choose to do a test n' tune on Friday night themselves. Now, if we could be assured that we would have a very strong turnout in both Stock and Super Stock (100+ cars in each class), then I'm all for it, and would be willing to make it an all-S/SS event like the original Class Nationals, instead of having any bracket cars to cover expenses. If we're looking at 50 cars per class (which would be an impressive turnout these days), then it can't stand on its own. Perhaps the bigger it "can" be, the bigger it "will" be. It would have to be done on a pre-entry basis, not only to confirm the viability of the event, but also to get a ballpark on Class trophies to order. That's just one more reason why we're planning a year and a half in advance and not trying to rush something to market for next year. If we're going to do this, I want to do it *right*.

Hey Nitro Joe -- Are you up for making a ladder bigger than 128 again?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #38
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

This thread was way back on page 3. Too little interest?
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #39
denbreeden

Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts

I think everyone is busy complaining about the new cars on another thread. I think it's a great idea, I would be interested, racing and throwing a little sponsorship help in.

Dennis Breeden
denbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #40
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by denbreeden View Post
I think everyone is busy complaining about the new cars on another thread. I think it's a great idea, I would be interested, racing and throwing a little sponsorship help in.

Dennis Breeden
I agree with Dennis, I also think it is a great idea, but I also think it is very difficult for anyone to plan for anything next year when we don't know for sure about the coming tax burden or our job situations, cost of fuel, cost of just about everything ..