HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 09-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #11
Tar Heel

Default Re: Another.15" trailer tire question

Thanks guys for all of the input. To begin with, I called the dealer where I bought my trailer and asked them their real-world experience with adding 235/80/16 tires and wheels to a trailer specifically like ours. He said there wasn't room for it to happen. I measured the distance between the top of the 15" tires and the bottom of the fender and I felt he was giving me good information.

So ... I did order the Goodyear Endurance 225/75/15s which are 10-ply, E rated and rated to 2830. Boy, just from first impressions they are heavy-duty quality tires! Discount Tire always takes care of us and they did a nice job mounting and balancing them. When I took the old bias ply tires off I noticed they weren't even balanced and we bought the trailer new. I haven't towed with it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Regarding the Discount warranty program I didn't buy it at the time but they said I could come back in and get it (which I still may). I didn't ask them but I wonder if I had a blow-out are the tires prorated or do you just automatically get a new one no matter how old the tires are? If that is the case I might get it but if they are prorated, and the tires are only $131 each, might not make sense to purchase it.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I bought a set of those Goodyear Endurance tires in April. 15" E rated and have them on my 26' trailer.

I also put new rear tires on my motorhome as my Michelins were dry rot cracked.

Handling feels better to me for sure......

I had Goodyear Marathons previously and never had a failure.
They were just about ready to come apart though when I replaced them with treads separating and uneven tread surfaces.....
They were at least 5 years old

Motorhome tires were 6-7 years old......
Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #13
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 914 Times in 251 Posts

After I had a freeway trailer tire blowout on my 24 foot Wells Cargo trailer last summer, I looked into upgrading to 16" wheels & tires, but like TarHeel said, there is not sufficent clearance for them on my trailer. There looks like enough room between the tires, but not between the top of the tires and top of fenders. So I did a fair bit of research, and installed 4 new 10 PR, LR E Maxxis ST tires, which seemed to have consistently good ratings. So far so good. I just completed a 800 mile (all freeway) trip to Oregon and back with no issues. Not anywhere near as far as many of you guys go, but a decent haul for me. A buddys Pace trailer came with the Maxxis tires, and he replaced them this year, over 10 years of service from them. I hope I am so lucky.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #14
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

We have 16 on our small trailer, and my last trailer came with 15" which we changed to 16. Just get the rims and get the same diameter tire in 16. We have used Firestone Transport E rated for several applications. Alcoa makes a direct bolt on rim for the 8 hole wheels in a 17.5, then you are done for life.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #15
Tar Heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
We have 16 on our small trailer, and my last trailer came with 15" which we changed to 16. Just get the rims and get the same diameter tire in 16. We have used Firestone Transport E rated for several applications. Alcoa makes a direct bolt on rim for the 8 hole wheels in a 17.5, then you are done for life.
I'm not aware of a quality 16" trailer tire comparable to size with a 225/75/15. To my knowledge the next size is 235/80/16 which is almost 2" taller and we simply don't have the room to run that size. Wish I did.

Also, our 5200 lb. axles are 6-lug.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #16
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,660 Times in 849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
After I had a freeway trailer tire blowout on my 24 foot Wells Cargo trailer last summer, I looked into upgrading to 16" wheels & tires, but like TarHeel said, there is not sufficent clearance for them on my trailer. There looks like enough room between the tires, but not between the top of the tires and top of fenders. So I did a fair bit of research, and installed 4 new 10 PR, LR E Maxxis ST tires, which seemed to have consistently good ratings. So far so good. I just completed a 800 mile (all freeway) trip to Oregon and back with no issues. Not anywhere near as far as many of you guys go, but a decent haul for me. A buddys Pace trailer came with the Maxxis tires, and he replaced them this year, over 10 years of service from them. I hope I am so lucky.
My experience with the Maxiss is the same as Rory's....you might get lucky with Marathons or a newer Goodyear version but have NEVER had good luck with GY so will never go there again...their customer service is lacking as well. Last week the sidewall blew out of my GY motorhome tire (on the steer axle no less). Took it in for an adjustment (properly inflated and cared for tire with less than 20K miles should NOT puke the sidewall) and they just kind of chuckled at me. Michelins next week, gulp$$$.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #17
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

I switched to LT tire in 16". The key I believe is to get the tires off the ground during the 6 months your not using it. I put mine on jack stands over the winter. I ordered a set of trailer legs for this winter, should be much easier then the stands.
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #18
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,770 Times in 565 Posts

Most trailer manufacturers including us do not make fender high enough
for the 235/16s in 80 or 85 unless you special order the trailer fenders that way.

A quality 225/15 radial is a big improvement over bias ply!
GTX JOHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #19
a pontiac

Liked 35 Times in 10 Posts

The new Goodyear endurance is the only trailer tire I know of thats made in the USA.
a pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote