HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 11-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,660 Times in 849 Posts
Default Your morning “Bullit” fix...

Based solely on the other cars seen this is so classic ( and yes, I did have a 68 Charger).

https://www.facebook.com/500PlusHPFo...1217517915983/
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Your morning “Bullit” fix...

Amazing how large most American cars were at that time, not to mention how poorly they handled especially with little skinny bias ply tires of that era. They would never get a permit to film something like that now!! Also, look how little traffic there was then.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts
Default Re: Your morning “Bullit” fix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 View Post
Amazing how large most American cars were at that time, not to mention how poorly they handled especially with little skinny bias ply tires of that era. They would never get a permit to film something like that now!! Also, look how little traffic there was then.
Amazing how many hub caps came off the Charger. I was just watching movie yesterday. Still one of my favorites, of course I am a little bias, Steve McQueen was a former Marine.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Even at the beginning of the chase scene, it was evident some body damage on the Mustang. Don't know if it was from practice, or what. That, of course, escalated. Noticed the white '62 Impala sport coupe, a new GTO, a Tempest, a brand new green '68 Chevelle SS 396, all kinds of good stuff. One scene in the movie, not on the chase scene featured a big Packard sedan parked at the curb. A year or two later, lots of volkswagen bugs and vans with pink and purple paint and stick on flowers were evident, by the mid '70's British sports cars were the thing up there, now it's volvos and priuses.At least we had fun while you still could. Semper fi,Eddie!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
jmcarter
VIP Member

McQueen was definitely a cool guy, the opening of his movie LeMans is classic. Also enjoy the Paul Newman stuff and his love of racing and cars in general. There was a short piece about his Rolex Daytona watch on 60 Minutes ( you can get it off the CBS app) just recently and it reveals much about the man he was. As for San Francisco, I was stationed just north of there in 1972 and really enjoyed going to Sears Point and Fremont; Bullit brings back all kinds of great car memories.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Problem with that whole scenario, being north of there, Petaluma or wherever, wouldn't be bad getting to Sonoma to race, but the tow through SF on the 101 between the south end of the Golden Gate Bridge and the northern end of the SB 101 would be a real aggravation if you were towing a decent sized rig. Once on the freeway south, the tow to Fremont wouldn't have been too bad, but the population in that whole area had about doubled in the last 20 years. California now has more people than the entire nation of Canada-something like 40 million. The trip down to Fremont would be almost unthinkable now.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
jmcarter
VIP Member

I hear you Greg; I lived in the Novato area in 1972-1973 and use to make runs down across the Golden Gate on a regular basis, transporting patients to Presidio and such. Remember going out to Travis and it was incredible how isolated it was. As part of our yearly western sojourn to the Pacific Northwest we went thru there and it was incredible how much it had changed. Going anywhere took FOREVER...another reason for basking in the memory when you could get around as shown in Bullit.

As for population, the primary reason for abandoning the Electoral College is that there isn't much interest in having California elect the president for us all.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
I hear you Greg; I lived in the Novato area in 1972-1973 and use to make runs down across the Golden Gate on a regular basis, transporting patients to Presidio and such. Remember going out to Travis and it was incredible how isolated it was. As part of our yearly western sojourn to the Pacific Northwest we went thru there and it was incredible how much it had changed. Going anywhere took FOREVER...another reason for basking in the memory when you could get around as shown in Bullit.

As for population, the primary reason for abandoning the Electoral College is that there isn't much interest in having California elect the president for us all.
You're so right, especially the last line. Where did you go in the Pacific Northwest? I could live in Grants Pass, hide under a rock, rarely come out and never bother anybody and stay out of trouble.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
XSTOCKER

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Lost Mustang found:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/long-...&sf173854370=1
XSTOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote