Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #82
Bob Bender
VIP Member

Liked 372 Times in 80 Posts
Default Re: Live from Maple Grove-NHRA Lucas Oil Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Lang View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with smoking the front tires as long as you don't get sideways. After watching the video it looked to me like Bob had it well under control and probably didn't even know he smoked them until somebody told him later.
Thanks Toby, I had my foot draging the brakes some and went I pushed a little harder the left front locked up. The car did not pull and went str8. It did not flat spot the tire and I did not want that to happen. Got the car up in the air and backed up that brake a little. I got my "ONE "and only warning.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #83
Joe DeMarzo

Liked 114 Times in 9 Posts

Some random thoughts about the weekend at the Grove.. First an foremost what a great weekend of racing. The track was well prepped and NHRA & Grove staff ran the program like clock work.

Jack Matyas selling his car was a site to see. Jack my friend had mixed emotions but to move forward sometimes you gotta let go. The car gave Jack some feed back the first round when rolled through the lights, I heard the car say "sell me will ya", lol. Good luck to the guy who bought from Texas.

Jack load up on klondike bars for the next race, they were all gone but the time I got there. Where was Pudge?

Bob Bender has no history of slamming the brakes. I thought NHRA did a great job policeing it and sure if his brake did not stick it would never have happened. Maybe a little preventative maintenance on the fat girl.

For those of you in another division, D-! this weekend had 12 or 13 cars in the barn. After my heads up 1st round I was pulled in the barn and they checked my car out pretty good. Looked at suspension, trans, drive shaft and who knows what else.

I am glad they are doing that in D-1. I encouraged and thanked them.

Finally I got to meet the infamous Charlie Downing..... great guy, smart and welll spoken. Pretty funny as well. Safe trip home and keep on mucking it up. Did I mention you need 75 HP added to your combo, lol

Great BBQ saturday night too bad the rain killed the fireworks show. Loking forward to the next race, jump in the water is fine.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #84
keith ohanesian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Lang View Post
Rules probably vary in each division, but in division 6 & 7 you get one warning per year and the next time you do it you are DQ'd. Sounds like that's the way they do it in D1 also.

I usually get one warning every year. I have even got a warning on a time run.

-Toby
Yes, thats how it is here. If you take a 13.0 car and a 9.0 car and run them together your gonna get smoke every once in a while.

This weekend should be great. If they had the barn full at a points race what will they do at the national?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #85
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Smile Re: Live from Maple Grove-NHRA Lucas Oil Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe DeMarzo View Post
Some random thoughts about the weekend at the Grove.. First an foremost what a great weekend of racing. The track was well prepped and NHRA & Grove staff ran the program like clock work.

Jack Matyas selling his car was a site to see. Jack my friend had mixed emotions but to move forward sometimes you gotta let go. The car gave Jack some feed back the first round when rolled through the lights, I heard the car say "sell me will ya", lol. Good luck to the guy who bought from Texas.

Jack load up on klondike bars for the next race, they were all gone but the time I got there. Where was Pudge?

Bob Bender has no history of slamming the brakes. I thought NHRA did a great job policeing it and sure if his brake did not stick it would never have happened. Maybe a little preventative maintenance on the fat girl.

For those of you in another division, D-! this weekend had 12 or 13 cars in the barn. After my heads up 1st round I was pulled in the barn and they checked my car out pretty good. Looked at suspension, trans, drive shaft and who knows what else.

I am glad they are doing that in D-1. I encouraged and thanked them.

Finally I got to meet the infamous Charlie Downing..... great guy, smart and welll spoken. Pretty funny as well. Safe trip home and keep on mucking it up. Did I mention you need 75 HP added to your combo, lol

Great BBQ saturday night too bad the rain killed the fireworks show. Loking forward to the next race, jump in the water is fine.
Joe - I agree - the track was great all weekend even in Sundays' heat - don't know what the track temp was but it had to be record or near .

As for selling my car it may take awhile to let go - Jeff getting RU in my Trans Am yesterday put some of the silver lining back in my cloud .

As for the Klondikes - I'll have a fresh supply at E-Town .And Pudgie was back at his dealership trying to move some iron -- but he'll be with us this week .

Bobby Bender got what he deserved - a stern warning .He has no history of this kind of activity in the past that I'm aware of .

The NHRA is getting back on track with checking cars again - and most of us welcome it .My advise is at E-Town we should all let them know we're OK with it .Give 'em an 'atta boy .

I also got to meet Mr. Downing - he's everything you said and then some - we'll have to invite him back .
Old 05-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #86
MikeFicacci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kudos to Ryck Campbell, Dave Ley, Kurt LaShure and the rest of the Division 1 crew. Technical inspection is at the heart of what we are doing here and I am very happy to hear that cars were looked at after passes.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #87
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Live from Maple Grove-NHRA Lucas Oil Series

I too am happy to see cars being looked at,this is what stock is all about. I may not always agree with what they say or find but we can agree to disagree on some things. Keep up the good work Tech dept. it is appreciated.