HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #101
hemicop

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Connecting Highway

The "return road" was relatively long. The advantage of it was you could take your time, avoid the cops & set-up another run. Aside from the cops wetting down the road and possibly running up onto slower traffic (if you misjudged speed & distance) it really was kind of a cool place for racing inside a city. Of course the REAL fast cars went elsewhere--JFK, CrossIsland & a few other places but for the cars we now try to reproduce, Connecting was their showplace. If you knew what speed shops to go to & who to ask you could be privy to the real money runs, learn the latest set-ups & who really was "connected"..
hemicop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #102
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

As I remember it, the finish line was the man hole cover just before the bridge. I remember the Thomkin's Ave Camaro always being a fast car also. Did anyone ever go to Bensin Burgers? There was a Mopar there with no front brakes, just the rear brakes that were drums: Dangerous! Spent an awful lot of time at the 150th st. races. Always exciting whether you were there with a car or not.

Casey Miles
248H

Last edited by Casey Miles; 04-09-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #103
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammer427 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation.. it looks like a hell of a return trip after a run though.
There was a gas station on the right before Rockaway Blvd. We would pull in there and load up.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #104
FINESPLINE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

To artie leong, i just recently joined this site and could not believe people talking about the street racing scene in new york in the 60's and 70's. The reason i know you as i was the mechanic/ transporter of the crossbay dart. Remember island porting in broad channel ? Learned a lot there ! Tip my hat to ya as you did spank us one night at 150 street. I believe at the time it was in a 65 b body with a wedge in it. If you go to new york street racing in the 70's and scroll thru to all the pictures you will see us lined up on the conduit and some other pictures that will bring a flood of memories.----to everyone who lived the racing scene back then ,enjoy the memories, because unless you were there- people would not believe it !
FINESPLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #105
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINESPLINE View Post
To artie leong, i just recently joined this site and could not believe people talking about the street racing scene in new york in the 60's and 70's. The reason i know you as i was the mechanic/ transporter of the crossbay dart. Remember island porting in broad channel ? Learned a lot there ! Tip my hat to ya as you did spank us one night at 150 street. I believe at the time it was in a 65 b body with a wedge in it. If you go to new york street racing in the 70's and scroll thru to all the pictures you will see us lined up on the conduit and some other pictures that will bring a flood of memories.----to everyone who lived the racing scene back then ,enjoy the memories, because unless you were there- people would not believe it !
Hi . Welcome to Class Racer. Those days were experiences. I remember hearing good things about Island Porting. Remember it being across the street from Weiss's I grew up in Ozone Park, so I know the area well.
Now I race a 4 cylinder SS/GS
Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #106
FINESPLINE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

.thanks art, spent my early teenage years in ozone park until i got drafted in 1971. Lived on 104 street btw 101 and 103 ave. Came back to street racing gone wild. Bought an ex john sandoval car (71 citrus green z/28 with a built big block and a vitar trans and 9 in conv.) a friday/saturday night car but spent most of my time at my main job and working my second at island and babysitting the dart. Lived in howard beach many years and if the wind was right could hear the burnouts and the runs going off. Up until 2006 at least , i would commute from howard beach to mineola by way of the belt pkwy at about 330 am and would catch a crowd lined up on the conduit. Cars and bikes-----so the beat goes on ! I now live in bayside and was contemplating building a stocker but it seems the nhra has some issues with their rating system that they really need to address. Congrats on the record---that little turbo is flying.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #107
FINESPLINE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It seems there is a lot of interest over the locations in nyc that were used for street racing. I still live in the area and know about 95 % of all the locations. If you are ever in the area and would like a tour, drop me a line, i would be glad to take a ride, have a burger at white castle and shoot the breeze about the past. Today, due to the lack of track facilities on long island, it has become a land of car cruises and shows and there is no shortages of cars. Many cars that were put away as we raised our children are coming out again. 5 to 6 days a week when the weather is good there are places to go to relive the moments with others. ---you can reach me here or at -------------------------josin1014@yahoo.com
Old 04-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #108
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I have not seen a race since mid 90's on conduit. It's all black top since then and nfg anymore, I don't know anyone using it since the make over. There is the parallel service road thats used now. works well too. just south of conduit and still all concrete, rte.878.
Now that one has no turn around so you meet on down the road in warehouse district. conduit turn around was easy, use rockaway or springfield blvds.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #109
FINESPLINE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey cammer, how are you doing? Went to that site on facebook and could not believe that a photo exists of the race between art leong and our crossbay dart. We took a thumping that night-------art was fast and we were poorer for it. Lol i cannot remember whether it was heads up or what !
Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #110
FINESPLINE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey artie, check out facebook-----we raced the conduit and 150 street. Go to the pictures and there you are with the black dart on the starting line. This is great stuff !