HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
Buick6

Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Removal of historic monuments

I appreciate your concerns. We agree more than disagree. Reread my statement and you will see I did not say that slavery was not the cause. I am well acquainted with Alexander Stephens writings (my paternal grandmother's family). But it was certainly not the only cause. You are correct to say that Lincoln went to war to preserve the union. As I pointed out, federal law was settled on slavery and he would have been in violation of federal law. You can question the correctness of the Supreme Court decision, but that was the precedent at the time. We also agree that the concept of separate but equal was just flat wrong. But men practicing any of those things at the time were, in fact, law abiding citizens. Jim Crow type laws existed in the north too.

You ask why it took so long to erect the statues and monuments? How many people have them erected in their own lifetime? Various towns and organizations such as the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected many of those monuments. At the turn of the century, the children and grandchildren of confederate veterans recognized the need to remember the leaders that written history was leaving out or giving little credit for their leadership. It was merely a southern pride thing. No one complained back then. A lot of those monuments were also dedicated to the thousands of confederate soldiers who died. And believe me, at that time, nearly everyone had a relative who fought in that war. Most of those former confederate generals and leaders were held in high regard after the war by their northern counterparts. Now we're talking about tearing their monuments down?

As for the reconstruction period after the war, I could write a book on my opinions about that corrupt period. I'll just say that living under military occupation caused a whole lot of hatred and mistrust for the US government that lasted for generations. The tax man finished off many families (including some of mine) in the south that barely survived the war.
Buick6 is offline   Reply With Quote