HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 09-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #31
nolongerracing

Liked 67 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Schubeck lifters

So, the best way to "break in" a new cam for Trend lifters is to purchase a set of Smith lifters, "break in the cam" (Smith lifters require no break in) buy the Trend lifters, "break in the cam", and PRAY. If you have to pay the engine builder to do this on his dyno, looks like about a 2 grand waste of money.
nolongerracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #32
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

Just had a Schubeck junk my west coast swing engine. Same cam ,lifters, and stuff we have used for two or three years. Oil pan was full of ceramic and cam metal. I might be able to save rods and crank.

It might be time for roller lifters. Do any of the present cars, not copos, dragpaks, or C jets, have flat tappet lifters?

Last edited by Larry Hill; 10-17-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Larry Hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #33
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Larry I can feel your pain. I had two Schubecks crap out last year and a Smith lifter messed up my motor this year. Coated Precision tool steel lifters are the way to go. Talk to Chris at Comp.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #34
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Just for information, I have a proposal into NHRA to allow aftermarket rollers in lieu of flat tappets. Why not try to get some folks to work on this. There has not been a flat tappet since the early 80's and I pointed that out along with only one manufacturer in the US. I know we squabble a bit, but those things are bad ancient unlike most of the old cars which are good ancient. Bruce, jump on that and get the troops to emailing CA and the Divisions. It's time for a change on that.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #35
V M Kauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With all the problems that racers have had with the Schubeck lifters why does a lot of racers continue to use them? Their just asking for trouble! How many has Schubeck replaced?
V M Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #36
nolongerracing

Liked 67 Times in 24 Posts

Larry,
Did you have any other damage to your valvetrain? Broken rocker, damaged pushrod, loose adjuster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Just had a Schubeck junk my west coast swing engine. Same cam ,lifters, and stuff we have used for two or three years. Oil pan was full of ceramic and cam metal. I might be able to save rods and crank.

It might be time for roller lifters. Do any of the present cars, not copos, dragpaks, or C jets, have flat tappet lifters?
nolongerracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #37
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Schubeck lifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
Just for information, I have a proposal into NHRA to allow aftermarket rollers in lieu of flat tappets. Why not try to get some folks to work on this. There has not been a flat tappet since the early 80's and I pointed that out along with only one manufacturer in the US. I know we squabble a bit, but those things are bad ancient unlike most of the old cars which are good ancient. Bruce, jump on that and get the troops to emailing CA and the Divisions. It's time for a change on that.
Basically, you would need a cam ground straight across the lobe for roller lifters,not tapered for flat tappet lifters, the rollers, the link bar, what about a rev kit to keep the rollers in the block in the event of pushrod or rocker failure?Sounds like a good answer to the recent problems that have surfaced. I feel that a rational,sensible appeal to the tech department with this proposal is in order. So many 305 and 350 blocks are machined for the factory roller set up already,as is the Dart block. Seems to make sense that an aftermarket design exists for the OEM earlier blocks as well.Meanwhile,converting from ceramic base to tool steel lifters sounds like a good way out.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #38
Gregg Luneack

Liked 226 Times in 30 Posts

I ask NHRA to make roller lifters an option 3 years ago, no response.
Just the cost and availability makes it a no brainer. Maybe if more
racers send emails something will happen.
Gregg Luneack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #39
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Luneack View Post
Just the cost and availability makes it a no brainer.
Not if I know Drag Racers! Next you'll see more wiped and broken cams, valve and valvetrain and spring failures. Availability maybe. Cost? Bull.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #40
Rick Leininger Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the ceramic foot lifter always stays in contact with the cam the lobe, then the ceramic foot is a lot less likely to shatter. Issue (as far as I'm concerned) is that the optimal performing stocker camshaft will incorporate some amount of loft (cam/lifter separation for increased dynamic lift) incorporated into the design, therefore I'd only consider a steel/DLC coated flat lifter for a stocker application. Some of you may even be lofting and don't know it, or might find out when you have a failure.

In addition to the Precision steel lifters mentioned, I've used the Ferrea lightweight steel SBC flat lifters with the foots polished, successfully in a 8200 rpm SBC on a nitrided cam core.
Rick Leininger Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote