HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,014 Times in 1,224 Posts
Default Parity Adjustments Factory Stock Showdown

NHRA Technical Department Makes Parity Adjustments to the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown

Based on the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown performance numbers from the first five races of the 2019 season, the NHRA Technical Department is reducing the minimum weight for all pre-2019 Chevrolet COPO and Ford Cobra Jet combinations from 3,525 lbs. to 3,450 lbs. Additionally, the 2019 Cobra Jet 327 combination upper supercharger pulley size will be increased from 3.750 inches to 4.000 inches and the 2015 Drag Pak 354 combination upper supercharger pulley will be decreased from 3.125 inches to 3.000 inches.

As a reminder no other changes may be made to all approved superchargers, including, but not limited to upper or lower pulley sizes, gear ratios, cases, rotors, etc. All other permitted combinations in the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown will remain unchanged. These rule changes will go into effect immediately. NHRA reserves the right in the future to make additional rule changes to control performance and maintain parity in the category. The updated SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown Rules and Procedures document can be found on NHRARacer.com under Rules/NHRA Factory Stock Showdown/Rules and Procedures.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts
Default Re: Parity Adjustments Factory Stock Showdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
NHRA Technical Department Makes Parity Adjustments to the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown

Based on the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown performance numbers from the first five races of the 2019 season, the NHRA Technical Department is reducing the minimum weight for all pre-2019 Chevrolet COPO and Ford Cobra Jet combinations from 3,525 lbs. to 3,450 lbs. Additionally, the 2019 Cobra Jet 327 combination upper supercharger pulley size will be increased from 3.750 inches to 4.000 inches and the 2015 Drag Pak 354 combination upper supercharger pulley will be decreased from 3.125 inches to 3.000 inches.

As a reminder no other changes may be made to all approved superchargers, including, but not limited to upper or lower pulley sizes, gear ratios, cases, rotors, etc. All other permitted combinations in the SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown will remain unchanged. These rule changes will go into effect immediately. NHRA reserves the right in the future to make additional rule changes to control performance and maintain parity in the category. The updated SAMTech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown Rules and Procedures document can be found on NHRARacer.com under Rules/NHRA Factory Stock Showdown/Rules and Procedures.
I agree with the weight reduction, I agree with decreasing the upper pulley size on the Drag Paks, but I don't agree with increasing the upper pulley size AGAIN on the Cobra Jets. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
kdanner

Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfan1 View Post
I agree with the weight reduction, I agree with decreasing the upper pulley size on the Drag Paks, but I don't agree with increasing the upper pulley size AGAIN on the Cobra Jets. Just my 2 cents.
I only agree with the weight off the pre-2019 cars. The DP has already been 7.85 on a less than perfect pass and that was before it got 75lbs off. With this pulley change it is now capable of bottom 70s if not 60s in good air.

Sure is more expensive to race a CJ than the other 2 brands.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts
Smile Re: Parity Adjustments Factory Stock Showdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
I only agree with the weight off the pre-2019 cars. The DP has already been 7.85 on a less than perfect pass and that was before it got 75lbs off. With this pulley change it is now capable of bottom 70s if not 60s in good air.

At Norwalk last week the only Dodge that qualified was Leah Pritchett at 8.01. Allen Johnson, Mark Pawuk, and Joe Welch didn't make the cut, even with the 75 lbs off. The adjusted altitude for most of the weekend was between 2100' and 2500'; so the air wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either. By looking at my avatar, you can tell that I am a Ford fan; but I do want all 3 brands to be competitive so that Factory Stock doesn't become what Pro Stock is now.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
kdanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfan1 View Post
At Norwalk last week the only Dodge that qualified was Leah Pritchett at 8.01. Allen Johnson, Mark Pawuk, and Joe Welch didn't make the cut, even with the 75 lbs off. The adjusted altitude for most of the weekend was between 2100' and 2500'; so the air wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either. By looking at my avatar, you can tell that I am a Ford fan; but I do want all 3 brands to be competitive so that Factory Stock doesn't become what Pro Stock is now.
Yes, but that doesn't erase the 7.85, it doesn't erase the 7.89 that had a better 60-330 than the 7.85 did. It was already proven to be capable of at least an 83 and that was before the 75lbs got taken off.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:

If this is the run your referring too then you are mistaken. The crew chief even stated during an interview earlier this year that they threw the kitchen sink at it and it stuck. I believe they tried to do the same with Mark Pawuk's car and it roasted the tires. By the way, that 60ft time is one of the five best 60fts of the year. Factory Stock Podcast Episode 8.

1.158 3.270 5.029 139.26 6.555 7.852 173.21
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
kdanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutta View Post
If this is the run your referring too then you are mistaken. The crew chief even stated during an interview earlier this year that they threw the kitchen sink at it and it stuck. I believe they tried to do the same with Mark Pawuk's car and it roasted the tires. By the way, that 60ft time is one of the five best 60fts of the year. Factory Stock Podcast Episode 8.

1.158 3.270 5.029 139.26 6.555 7.852 173.21
Oh but I'm not mistaken, the 7.89 had a better 60-330 split, see image.

Yes it was one of the best sixties. Kevin Skinner has some of the best sixties every race, you wanna give him a break too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leah gators splits.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	50516  
Old 06-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Oh but I'm not mistaken, the 7.89 had a better 60-330 split, see image.

Yes it was one of the best sixties. Kevin Skinner has some of the best sixties every race, you wanna give him a break too?
That some good data regarding the splits. Ultimately, I disagree with your basis for judging parity. Parity can't be determined simply on potential but potential and what the cars are doing on the track. I believe that the data collected so far would dictate a change to helpout the dodges. Obviously I'm biased but i also dont think I'm off base either. I haven't looked at the averages but if they tell a different story, I'll happily admit I'm wrong.
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

I certainly don't have the stats to back my opinion up, but it would appear to me that to anyone that was watching these cars the same day at the same track would think that the Cobra Jets were the fastest, then the COPOs then the Drag Packs.

With these three cars being so different, making them "equal" is no easy task.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,228 Times in 595 Posts

I know it is hard to make 3 different cars equal. As long as they keep all 3 competitive with each other is all that I ask. I hope this doesn't become another Pro Stock fiasco.