HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
Don Sofranko

Liked 111 Times in 28 Posts
Default Ron Leek Passes, Byron Dragway Former Owner 10 july19

Just saw this today while looking at events at Byron Dragway Rockford Illinois.
If you ever witnessed the wheelstand contest, the Outlaw Super Stock circuit, and more, you know how awesome he was at pushing great entertainment.
I loved Leek, he could have straightened out NHRA and put people in the seats again.
Heck of an announcer, and very opinionated on many things.
I didn't do business with him, but I deeply respected what went on over there, and loved going, and listening to him bark on the microphone.
He sold the track a few years ago, so maybe he was fighting an ailment?

His services were today, so its too late to attend.
===================
this tribute speaks of a self made man
https://bangshift.com/general-news/r...byron-dragway/
===================

http://byrondragway.com/2019/07/10/s...g-of-ron-leek/

Statement Regarding the Passing of Ron Leek
July 10, 2019

It is with deep sadness that we at Byron Dragway mourn the passing of our dear friend, colleague, and mentor, Ron Leek.

Perhaps best known as the long time owner and announcer at Byron Dragway, Ron’s contributions to motorsports transcend the race track he called home for over fifty years.

A steward of the sport, Ron held various positions at numerous race tracks throughout the Midwest over the course of his illustrious career, including Oswego Dragway, Great Lakes Dragway and Wisconsin International Raceway, before acquiring Byron Dragway in 1969. He carefully perfected his craft as a gifted promoter as he also packed stadiums across the United States promoting monster truck events. Ron’s charismatic personality shined brightly over the microphone, as an energetic announcer and true showman at countless drag strips, oval tracks, and NHRA events. He pioneered a seemingly endless list of groundbreaking events and forever revolutionized sportsman drag racing by promoting the first big money bracket race in drag racing history. Outside of racing, Ron also built a successful trucking company, R.L. Leek Industries Inc., which has been in business since 1971.

Ron has left an indelible mark on the sport of drag racing and a legacy that will live on forever. We extend our deepest condolences to Ron’s family.
===============

full obit here, services were today

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/rr...245&fhid=14630

great picture here
https://www.wifr.com/content/news/Lo...512591631.html

Last edited by Don Sofranko; 07-16-2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: links
Don Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts
Default Re: Ron Leek Passes, Byron Dragway Former Owner 10 july19

He did a great job hosting the US class nationals in 2001,best s/ss race ever!.Between Byron and the "Grove" (Broadway Bob) always a good show and the racers were always treated well. Godspeed... gsa612

Last edited by gsa612; 07-16-2019 at 09:50 PM.
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
Fred D Bartoli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ron was a great guy and friend for many years. A few years back I went out there on a Sunday, don't remember exactly what he had going on, asked him if I could make some time runs. He said ill see if can sneak you in, I'm sitting by my trailer half asleep I hear him yell on the P.A. BARTOLI you've got three seconds to get up here.
Fred D Bartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Marty Buth

Liked 149 Times in 34 Posts

I had a lot of respect for Ron. He was a pioneer in drag racing on several fronts. He hosted the first bracket nationals back in the 70's. As has been mentioned he teamed up with Alex Denysenko to host the first ever Class Nationals. He started the Wheelstanding event that was seen on ESPN and packed the stands.
He had a booming voice on the microphone and made the racer feel appreciated and special.
I remember at the Class Nationals it was 100 plus temperature and Ron was going around with his pick up truck getting the trash out of the trash cans. He ran a tight ship and wasn't afraid of getting his hands dirty. He was an inspiring leader.
Ron also ran a successful trucking business out of Rockford, IL.
I agree with the comment that Ron would have been a great asset if he would have gone into leadership at NHRA. He always remembered that the racer was the customer.