HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Doug Domm

Liked 40 Times in 19 Posts
Default Shelf life of oil?

I’ve got a couple cases each of Valvoline Racing Oil 10w30 part number VV850 and Valvoline VR1 10w30 part number VV205. I called Valvoline Tech for info on these 2 products and was told they were both the same product but no longer a current part number and that they were over 5 years old. He stated DO NOT use them because ANY bottled oil only has a 5 year shelf life and the additives could settle out and or dissipate. He suggested shaking the bottle may or may not help but still to dispose of them and buy new product. I also read on the Valvoline Racing Oil site about these oils with Zinc in them are corrosive and should not be left in the engine. I am not a petrochemical engineer and this is all new to me. Thoughts???
Doug Domm is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
pmrphil

Liked 247 Times in 106 Posts
Default Re: Shelf life of oil?

Wow. I had a similar (bad) experience with the Valvoline tech line about 7 or 8 years back, apparently they haven't gotten any better. I went through 3 "techs" before I was able to speak with an engineer. He stated that the VV850 was a non-detergent oil, which was the reason it was labeled "not for street use", and told me it would only last for 300-400 miles. The VV205 is what he recommended I change to, as it had almost the same zinc content, but would resist heat and last a normal length of time for a street application.
OK, that part was factual, the part about oil being no good after 5 years strikes me as fictional - I'm currently using oil purchased in 2008 (got a killer deal and stocked WAY up) and have had no issues. And, yes, I have looked in the bottom of the bottle, and there is no separation or residue. And I don't shake it, either. It's very common for some additives to settle in the bottom of the pan, I see it quite often doing freshen ups. It doesn't seem to hurt a thing. I'd use it for sure, the VV850 was about the best oil I ever used in a race engine.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
Dave Gantz

Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Oil threads always go crazy, it seems. I'd ask here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

I think there is a U tube video of how they blend motor oil. There are solids(plastics, for a simple term) that are blended into the base oil in addition to chemicals. They are mixed for hours to make everything go into solution. I've seen military and industrial 55 gallon drums that were sitting for years. Upon decanting, some looked like contamination had occurred. After sending samples for testing, just contents coming out of solution. Although, never make assumptions!
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote