HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-11-2022, 08:01 PM   #51
SuperStock fan

Liked 182 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Prayers for Bob Unkefer

May Bob Unkefer rest in peace. A great announcer and racer. Bob and Allan also Bob Frey do the best color work. A lot of fans are going to miss Unk's great add lib on the microphone. I know I am.
SuperStock fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:58 PM   #52
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 241 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk

This hurts. A great man all around. Feel proud to have had you mention my name on the mic and announce my only NHRA win. Rest in peace my friend.

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:55 AM   #53
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,500 Times in 1,968 Posts

After everything came to its usual evening stop, Patsy and I raised our classes of the evening beverages and toasted Bob Unkefer.
God Speed
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:47 AM   #54
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 681 Times in 292 Posts

A great tribute posted by Brian Lohnes on Facebook:

This is such difficult news to hear.

When I first seriously hit the road as an announcer, it was with IHRA. The announcing staff at that point was, Unk, Brian Olson, "Stagin' Steve" LeTempt, and young, unknown me. I sadly find myself as the last guy standing.

Bob was a tremendous influence on me during those early years. He went out of his way to help me, to teach me, and to effectively show me the ropes. He was one of those "three wise men" who have left their indelible mark on my career and life. It didn't hurt that the guy was hilarious and very fun to be around.

For many years Bob traveled with his preferred shower head, not wanting to deal with low pressure, crummy showers at the more luxurious places we stayed. Some channel locks and 3 minutes work, and VOILA! it was high pressure heaven.

Bob and I roomed together a lot in those days and there were so many nights we kept each other awake all hours telling stupid stories and just laughing. A lot.

I would see Bob on occasion over the last several years and thankfully we had a memorable working reunion calling the SFG 1.1 million dollar race in 2020. It was a big time and it was a weird time with all the restrictions in place. Somehow we managed to find beers, food, and Crown Royal after action was completed in the evenings. The laughs were unabated.

From his distinctive voice to his laugh which, if you listened closely to it started somewhere down near the end of his toes, Bob personified the great things about drag racing. He loved the racers, he loved the competition. He loved the whole scene. His national event win was a prideful thing for all of us to brag about to a degree. He made us all proud when he pulled that off and it was a moment he was all too happy to recount at the drop of a hat, as any of us would be.

I honestly try to learn things from everyone I have ever worked with. Some of those things are clear examples of how not to be, how not to act, etc. Bob was the opposite. From Bob I took the value in his smoothness. His ability to kind of weave his way through his work. The guy truly stands as a great.

One last story.

During one of our IHRA sojourns to Canada, we flew into Detroit and were going to drive up to (I THINK) Grand Bend for the race. I was waiting for Bob to pick me up in the rental car and here he comes, pleased as punch...in a PT Cruiser convertible. As a self-respecting car guy, and a dude of about 23 years at that point I was horrified and let him know about it. He extolled the virtues of the car as I sat low in the seat. We arrived at the border crossing to a massive logjam of traffic. I continued to lament the car we were in and how terrible it was.

Before I could finish the sentence, the top came down, he found some really crummy music and the volume went to 11. He was waving to people and greeting them in traffic. I was trying to climb into the HVAC vent. "Lohnes, they all love this thing," he said in his booming voice and then stated laughing hysterically. He did this for about an hour. It ended up being great fun.

That was the thing with Bob. A hard time, a bad time, a tough time, was just not a thing that was possible when you were with him.

Although he cannot read these words, I am thankful for Bob's friendship, his shepherding of a young announcer, and one of the longest lasting friendships of my adult life.

The man will be missed by everyone that ever knew him.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote