Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 689 Times in 132 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Exclamation Re: Really frustating

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
Empty out all the bank accounts (get cash it's untraceable)
Sell all your race car parts, tools and car to a "friend" and hide it.
Hide all the things you want to keep: furniture, guns, antiques, etc.
Stop all credit cards and debit cards.
Hide all pictures you want to keep, personal effects and stuff like golf clubs, pool cues, bowling balls, etc.
Hire a Lawyer that used to torture people and cut off fingers and toes and turn him loose!
Ensure that she shares in all the debt and makes payments to you while the proceeding are going on.

You are now in a war to save your life, there is no love anymore, just war.

Sorry,
JimR
Jim is absolutely correct! I have been there and done that! My lawyer wasn't quite that cut throat so it took me 5 years to get my two children back, but I did. I also kept all my racing stuff including the car (she didn't even know what brand it was when the judge asked her). Don't be the "nice guy" or it will bite you in the ***** later. Get it over with and then if you two still want to be friends then so be it, but NOT NOW!! Trust me and Jim R. on this! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts
Default Re: Really frustating

You really need to treat this like a business and take the emotion out of it. I can't speak from experience, I have been with the same women since 1977. But I have seen and processed alot of separation agreements. Take the emotion out of it and remember as you look around at all your toys and material items, all this items can be replaced in about 3 years. Good luck!
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,640 Times in 507 Posts

Unfortunately I have been through 2 divorces. Both cost me quite a bit of money. The best thing you can do is to try to come to some sort of an agreement before you start the attorney thing. All the attorneys want is your money. If you fight each other it will cost both of you most everything you have. I was able to come to a fair and equitable setlement with both of my X's with little attorney input. There is no way you will come out of the divorce with all of your assets. You just need to decide which ones you really want and make a deal for them. This is a tough thing to get through but you will survive. Many of us have. Good Luck.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

I tried several weeks back to sit down and work out how we would divide stuff up. I gave her a written copy and the only main thing I wanted was for her to stay away from my retirement saving/pension. Agreed to give her half of appraisal value of house and I WOULD PAY OFF mortgage myself. She can have all the furnishing of house except for TV and BED. I guess if it got bad enough I could sleep in race car trailer. SHE STATED, I want half of it all so, there will be a fight. I'm sure.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Better follow the two "Jim's" advise, and immediately!
Peter Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
goinbroke2

Liked 173 Times in 59 Posts

If there will be a fight, do what Jim said and go for the throat. My wife went to a shrink years ago who convinced her she had an alcoholic upbringing and I was an abusive husband. When it started to go sour I cancelled her cards, removed her name from everything and had a lawyer who had a lot of "dirty" tricks. When faced with this she backed down and we went through councelling. Come to find out (since I've never hit her ect) I'm NOT an abusing husband and while her mother is a wingnut, she can't use that as an excuse 30years later for some of the crap she was doing. we're still married and while she has flare ups of stupidity, generally speaking it's been good.

If it IS over though.....it really is you or her. This is not something you want to lose. Protect the sweat equity you've built in the last XX years. Find a friend who will "buy" everything you cherish for pennies on the dollar with the expectation of selling it back to you for the same price when the smoke clears.

Good luck.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,640 Times in 507 Posts

Terry,

Just keep working toward that goal. Both of my X's had that same attitude in the beginning but as time passed and we both got on with our lives things changed and thats when we were able to make our deals. Like the other guys said you should consult an attorney to find out what your rights are. Just remember you dont have to sign anything until you are ready too. In my first divorce I had to give up what I had in my retirement acct to keep my home. I was young at the time so that was not such a big deal. That was still a good deal for me. Keep an open mind and remember you will have to give on some things to get what you want.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #18
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

You can't make the money you get from selling your stuff disappear.Any half a**ed lawyer will find you out.Period.

76 more to go.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 689 Times in 132 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Wink Re: Really frustating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
You can't make the money you get from selling your stuff disappear.Any half a**ed lawyer will find you out.Period.

76 more to go.
No but you can "sell" it to a trusted friend for a ridiculous amount and only lose half of that at the most! Been there and done that! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
No but you can "sell" it to a trusted friend for a ridiculous amount and only lose half of that at the most! Been there and done that! Jim

Then a good lawyer will nail you.Come on Jim you can't get away with that any more.
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

75 more to go.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote