HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
reknapp52

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default PG Trans Gurus--Need Help

I have a problem with the parking pawl in my PG trans--if I start the car on jackstands, without holding the brake, it will overrun the parking pawl and turn the rear tires. Also, at some tracks where the staging lanes are on a hill, it won't hold in Park. Any ideas on what would cause this, and is it something that can be worked on without pulling the trannie? I have checked the linkage/shift arm, they are fine.
reknapp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: PG Trans Gurus--Need Help

How old is the cable on the shifter linkage?
I have seen some of these lose some of their working capability over a few years time. A little flex (compression and extension) in length of this cable can be causing big problems and is very hard to find.
Also how are you checking the linkage setup.
Always set it up in high gear then check all other positions by moving the shifter and then see if the pivot on the hard tranny linkage shaft is free in all the positions by pulling the linkage off the tranny hard linkage in each position. If not you have it in the wrong hole for the shifter or your cable is not solid enough to work in all the positions. The detent inside the tranny will keep it in the right places in all the positions except park where the spring loaded linkage holds the paw in the gear set outside ring.
Hope this helps.
My 2 Cents
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

A cracked, loose or bent rooster comb,[the part that moves the manual valve] can be the cause. .....Sometimes a weak or broken plunger spring can be the cause ,altho it's not as common ..........Also some aftermarket carriers have the park teeth milled in, and are rounded on the bottom, sometimes preventing the pawl from completely engaging. .....Tom
Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
sst7250

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Do yo have a shield, case or tranny blanket? When I ran a blanket I would have the issue if the blanket was to tight near the linkage. It would slightly pull the shift arm away from the trans enough to not have it engage completely. Just a thought.
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
VanPelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Re: PG Trans Gurus--Need Help

I had the same thing on my car. I adjusted the shifter linkage per B&M specs and all was well. Here is a link for the specs if interested. They are at the bottom of the page. Hope this works.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Com...r-complete-kit
VanPelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Henry S

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Hey, until you get it figured out, I will make sure to park behind you in the staging lanes especially at Bandimere! I think Tom Goldman hit the nail right on the head. I have had a broken rooster comb? do the exact same thing. I have a question? Was the trans just rebuilt? possibly the spring that holds the parking pawl is missing or installed wrong.
Henry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
reknapp52

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys--I'll try to make time this weekend to get the car up on a lift and check it out. I have a solid rod for linkage, so it's not a cable issue, and I don't run a blanket. I'll drop the pan and see what's happening inside when the shifter goes to Park. I've had the tranny apart a couple times in the last 2 years, so there is a chance that something didn't get reassembled properly. And Henry--I'll make it a point to stay out in front of you at Bandimere's! Last year I carried a chunk of PVC conduit to wedge against the brake pedal.
reknapp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Ron Finney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Disconnect the linkage and see if the shift lever will move up any farther into the park position. once you verify the park position, start the car and see if it still rolls the tires (might be able to move by hand). If it does, then the shifter and linkage are not the problem. The problem is inside the pan.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 390 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
A cracked, loose or bent rooster comb,[the part that moves the manual valve] can be the cause. .....Sometimes a weak or broken plunger spring can be the cause ,altho it's not as common ..........Also some aftermarket carriers have the park teeth milled in, and are rounded on the bottom, sometimes preventing the pawl from completely engaging. .....Tom
Just like his old Willy's
GAS is dead-on!
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Make sure that you have the right shift arm for your shifter. There not all the same.