HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #11
M Brand 505B

Liked 30 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: NHRA 1/8th Mile Division Championship Series

A wild guess that attendance will be an issue.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Brand 505B View Post
A wild guess that attendance will be an issue.
Yes, 1/8th mile won't exactly pack them in. Why half track?
Old 01-14-2018, 11:19 PM   #13
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 147 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
all of those tracks are 1/8 mile...but atlanta and galot...but they all run an 1/8mile program
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:35 PM   #14
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Not really a big deal for around here as all the IHRA races were run 1/8 mile but I will still be curious to see if people show. They weren't turning out last year for IHRA races so it will be interesting.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #15
Bpozzi

Liked 97 Times in 18 Posts

Never fails.... NHRA does something out of the box to help advance the sport and it took less than 24hrs for the doubters and haters to start chiming in. The tracks listed on this schedule that ran an IHRA pro am / sportsman championship race had GREAT stock/ superstock turnouts (I know this because I was there supporting the tracks along with ALOT of other great racers down here).... shockingly enough it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that 1/8 is much less wear and tear on your equipment and also you have much less time to make decisions at the stripe. The racing here in the Carolinas is exciting regardless if its the stepchild 1/8mile. NHRA DIV 2, for what it’s worth, AWESOME MOVE!!! Thank you so much for creating this series and we welcome all cars to come race with us down here, like many of you said for not supporting the IHRA, you wanted that coveted WALLY, here is your shot, or is an 1/8mile Wally not as good?..... Oh, and you may even be able to keep that extra fuel jug at home.... wont need it.
Bpozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:19 AM   #16
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpozzi View Post
Never fails.... NHRA does something out of the box to help advance the sport and it took less than 24hrs for the doubters and haters to start chiming in. The tracks listed on this schedule that ran an IHRA pro am / sportsman championship race had GREAT stock/ superstock turnouts (I know this because I was there supporting the tracks along with ALOT of other great racers down here).... shockingly enough it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that 1/8 is much less wear and tear on your equipment and also you have much less time to make decisions at the stripe. The racing here in the Carolinas is exciting regardless if its the stepchild 1/8mile. NHRA DIV 2, for what it’s worth, AWESOME MOVE!!! Thank you so much for creating this series and we welcome all cars to come race with us down here, like many of you said for not supporting the IHRA, you wanted that coveted WALLY, here is your shot, or is an 1/8mile Wally not as good?..... Oh, and you may even be able to keep that extra fuel jug at home.... wont need it.
Not hating at all maybe you missed post #10 but doubting, yes but time will tell. I'm wondering though sounded like this series was for crate motor cars only, not sure about that, would it draw enough cars if so? I have nothing against 1/8 mile did it most of my life but I prefer 1/4 mile so I will probably stick to the regular LORDS races because I don't have but so much time for racing anyway. I am curious if Piedmont switched to NHRA or are they just holding this as a special event since I haven't seen an announcement about changing.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:26 AM   #17
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

If this is like a national open where a grade point can be had, that is a plus in some cases. I am not a fan of 1/8th mile, but if the schedule works for me, I will try to support the races that I can. Having an extra grade point available could be a good deal for me.

I will also say that having a positive response like this from NHRA shows a break in their typical response, we as racers should try and reward the DD and all involved by proving them right. As was mentioned. Most of the racers that would be excluded before have some more options. That is a good move on D2’s part. I bet the idea didn’t come from Glendora.

If you have an IHRA only combo, you should be in line already to attend these races.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #18
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
If this is like a national open where a grade point can be had, that is a plus in some cases. I am not a fan of 1/8th mile, but if the schedule works for me, I will try to support the races that I can. Having an extra grade point available could be a good deal for me.

I will also say that having a positive response like this from NHRA shows a break in their typical response, we as racers should try and reward the DD and all involved by proving them right. As was mentioned. Most of the racers that would be excluded before have some more options. That is a good move on D2’s part. I bet the idea didn’t come from Glendora.

If you have an IHRA only combo, you should be in line already to attend these races.
They called it a national open at the banquet and did mention there would be grade points.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #19
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
Not really a big deal for around here as all the IHRA races were run 1/8 mile but I will still be curious to see if people show. They weren't turning out last year for IHRA races so it will be interesting.
A couple of years ago, there were IHRA tracks around here. Most guys won't race with them. I did one year, a few years back. Small tracks I did not know existed. Nice small facilities, run by nice people. The IHRA officials were all great guys. Made some friends there. No cars. Nine Super Stock cars once. I quit trying to run with them when I won a race, and the check bounced. Tried to collect, finally dropped it in the shredder. Many of their contingency sponsors were different, almost needed two sets of decals. Many of those guys never paid up either.

I see guys talking about winning half track races as requiring sharper drivers. I found running 30 MPH slower at the strip is easier to drive the stripe, actually have more time at that speed.

Wear & tear on drive line (trans clutches, tires, things that wear) is irrelevant since most cars are in high gear before half track. Still making the same shifts. Same burn out for the tires. Half track is easier to drive. Just running along in high gear in the back half on 1/4 mile.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #20
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs down Re: NHRA 1/8th Mile Division Championship Series

Oh Lord here comes the CIRCUS????????
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote