HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts
Default What's wrong with Stock?

I'm a little bit hesitant to get in to this because it's been beat to death since 2008 when the first Cobrajets were announced. My good friend Bruce Noland was probably the first person to warn us about the potential of these new purpose built factory race cars. I remember him saying that he talked with some of the Ford racing guys at the sema show and that they told him those cars should run 9.20's. Fast forward 6 years and the fastest stockers are running 8.50's @ 150mph. My personal opinion is that cars running this fast have no business in Stock.

I think the new cars are good for NHRA racing just not good for stock eliminator. Between rules that are made only for the new cars and BOGUS horsepower ratings,they have made those of us who run old cars who have to run against the new cars in the same class, largely uncompetitive. Given who runs NHRA and their lack of knowledge and not caring we probably should not be surprised. None of the top management has any understanding of the roots and tradition of stock, plus they are very short sighted and have no vision for the future. If they were forward looking they would showcase these new cars with the pros, not put them in with stock to beat up on the real stockers at 8:00 A.M.

To do this they should make 5 or 6 FX classes with their own indexes and AHFS and run them just like comp. Maybe a 32 car field at most nationals and 64 at Indy. No dialing in, no breakout. My feeling is that this would give the manufacturers more visibility and give the racers an opportunity for some serious sponsorship dollars. Just imagine Charley Downing getting chased down by David Barton. A little 281 c.i. Versus the mighty 426 Hemi. The manufacturers and NHRA could really promote this and make it a big part of the SHOW!

If people want to run the newer cars in stock they should run cars and motors that are made and sold to the public. You could give these newer cars a reduction in shipping weight so they don't have to be so heavy and maybe some hp reductions because these motors already have a lot of things the older racers use.

This doesn't have to be an either or proposition. It could be a win win for everyone. I will say one other thing, as long as the traditional stockers continue to support what's going on and attending National events, nothing is probably going to change. 2/3 of the cars that entered Indy were older than 2008. Take those entry fees as well as crew fees away, you have a substantial source of revenue decline for NHRA.

An example of what's really wrong is that Scott Burton left Indy before eliminations because he had a heads up run with a new car that had him covered by 4 or 5 tenths. Any of you that know Scott know that he has a very fast traditional stocker that he has worked his *** off over the years to make fast. This is WRONG!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
BLAZER

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hill View Post
I'm a little bit hesitant to get in to this because it's been beat to death since 2008 when the first Cobrajets were announced. My good friend Bruce Noland was probably the first person to warn us about the potential of these new purpose built factory race cars. I remember him saying that he talked with some of the Ford racing guys at the sema show and that they told him those cars should run 9.20's. Fast forward 6 years and the fastest stockers are running 8.50's @ 150mph. My personal opinion is that cars running this fast have no business in Stock.

I think the new cars are good for NHRA racing just not good for stock eliminator. Between rules that are made only for the new cars and BOGUS horsepower ratings,they have made those of us who run old cars who have to run against the new cars in the same class, largely uncompetitive. Given who runs NHRA and their lack of knowledge and not caring we probably should not be surprised. None of the top management has any understanding of the roots and tradition of stock, plus they are very short sighted and have no vision for the future. If they were forward looking they would showcase these new cars with the pros, not put them in with stock to beat up on the real stockers at 8:00 A.M.

To do this they should make 5 or 6 FX classes with their own indexes and AHFS and run them just like comp. Maybe a 32 car field at most nationals and 64 at Indy. No dialing in, no breakout. My feeling is that this would give the manufacturers more visibility and give the racers an opportunity for some serious sponsorship dollars. Just imagine Charley Downing getting chased down by David Barton. A little 281 c.i. Versus the mighty 426 Hemi. The manufacturers and NHRA could really promote this and make it a big part of the SHOW!

If people want to run the newer cars in stock they should run cars and motors that are made and sold to the public. You could give these newer cars a reduction in shipping weight so they don't have to be so heavy and maybe some hp reductions because these motors already have a lot of things the older racers use.

This doesn't have to be an either or proposition. It could be a win win for everyone. I will say one other thing, as long as the traditional stockers continue to support what's going on and attending National events, nothing is probably going to change. 2/3 of the cars that entered Indy were older than 2008. Take those entry fees as well as crew fees away, you have a substantial source of revenue decline for NHRA.

An example of what's really wrong is that Scott Burton left Indy before eliminations because he had a heads up run with a new car that had him covered by 4 or 5 tenths. Any of you that know Scott know that he has a very fast traditional stocker that he has worked his *** off over the years to make fast. This is WRONG!
YOU are 100% correct--Don't enter or BUY a factory race car-the good old days and older cars of INDY are gone-
BLAZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
John Leichtamer Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To bad Farmer & Marty are gone, it would be a whole different story.

Hammer
John Leichtamer Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

I didn't realize that the number 1 qualifier was one of those under rated factory hot rods. Lol.
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Chuck ?? Chuck WHO ??

Factory Hot Rods should be seperated from Dealer bought STOCK cars.........
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
stocker396

Liked 57 Times in 15 Posts

Greg is right, BUT You have to be patient.... Word I have from the "ivory Tower of Glendora" is you are looking at the "NEW PRO STOCK" In the next 2 years Pro stock in its current formt will be replaced by the "Super Cars" NHRA needs to shake it up. Current Pro stock is TOO expensive , has no real fan base, AND Spectators dont identify with the cars. SOOO If you havent noticed, ALOT of pro stock teams already have COPOS,CJ's and Drag Packs and are testing them. Warren Johnson in recent interview was asked why he was not attending events replied "We are working on a new LS based engine program for what is in the future and securing sponsorship for that program"
Simple, NHRA Is doing a long term replacement strategy so they do not get another pro stock truck debacle.
I will continue to run my car and wait and see...
Imagine, Dan Fletcher a PRO STOCK driver! I Cant wait!
stocker396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Jim Storms

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

It's definitely alittle disappointing watching some very good cars not get in this show, I have a fairly fast car and was #104 time will only tell how far NHRA plays the game.
Jim Storms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Comp 798

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since 2008 and the crying never stops..... some people just love to complain.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Talking Re: What's wrong with Stock?

Yup, Bruce was right! Wow! Did I just say that? Wow.

Pro Stock MUST and WILL change, just watch! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Gordie Kissner

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp 798 View Post
Since 2008 and the crying never stops..... some people just love to complain.
Says the guy who probably didn't have his competitive combo with years of blood,sweat and tears wiped out with the stroke of a check for a crate engine car!

My hat is off to the racers who took their traditional S/SS cars to Indy to do battle!

Last edited by Gordie Kissner; 08-31-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Gordie Kissner is offline   Reply With Quote