HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 09-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,449 Times in 420 Posts
Default Re: Any Wideband o2 that records?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT Mustang View Post
I don't want to sidetrack this post, but thought that it would be helpful to share that I just bought the two channel Accel O2 sensor kit to go along side of my Accel DFI Generation 7 for a stocker that I'm building and am not too pleased with the quality control.

I bought it from a large retailer that had it dropped shipped directly from Accel. The first time around, one O2 sensor was missing, the connection cable was missing and the housing to the computer was broken. The housing didn't break during shipping, because the broken piece wasn't in the box, and box was in perfect shape when it arrived. I called the retailer, and they took care of it and had a replacement on the way.

I also called Accel to make them aware of the situation, and they seemed not to care too much about what I was telling them. The guy basically said that he wasn't going to do anything about it and had no interest in looking into their quality control.

The second go round, got a new box direct from Accel again....missing an O2 sensor, but got a cable...too bad that it's the wrong one. Called the retailer, and they're taking care of it. There's no point in calling Accel, since it's clear where they stand on quality control.

Where does this leave me? Let's say that I don't have a great deal of confidence in their products, and I'm strongly considering returning the O2 kit, and get my $800 back.

I'm interested to see how this thread plays out.
The o2 sensor is just a bosch 17014 that Accel overcharges for. You can get them from advance for $50. It's a vw/Audi sensor.

PS I noticed on my third run of the four runs I recorded the other night, the sensor gave good readings when I pulled into burnout box and even through my burnout, somewhere while rolling up to prestage it pinned at 17.98 and stayed there the rest of the run. On the other runs it was pinned at 17.98 from record start to stop and one run was 9.89 from record start to stop.

Last edited by Bobby Fazio; 09-01-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Bobby Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
John Nechiporchik

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Bobby, Check the wiring. It sounds like there is a ground issue . I'm not sure if there is a specific circuit for the O2 ground, but the intermittent scenario you described would lead me in that direction.
These Accel loggers are very sensitive to proper grounding. The overall ground for the system (box) should be isolated and not stacked with any other ground wires.
When I had issues with intermittent starts with my calmap unit, I was advised to run the ground all the way back to the negative on the battery. It solved my problem.
These electrical gremlins are a pain to nail down.

John
John Nechiporchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts

Bobby

If your going to E-town and would like to try an LM-1 I have 2 with either the RPM converter or Aux Box. They both worked well in my stocker when I was using the Accel Gen VI. Even have the old laptop with software installed.

Signman1946@gmail.com
Old 09-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I used an Accel Gen VII and bought a data logger for it that was a separate box offered by Accel DFI. I sent my Accel ECU box in for a firmware update to allow the use of this separate data logger.

I never was able to get any usefull information from it....

It was working but I had a great amount of difficulty getting it to work as it should have. It had as many as 10 channels it could record if I recall right....

I had a toggle switch to turn it on and set the parameters for when it would start recording.

I did have an Innovate LM-1 with rpm converter and it worked fine....Used it a lot. I used it on every time run and removed it before eliminations.....

I needed a better understanding of how to tune my system and correlate the info from the LM-1 into my DFI's fuel map....

The LM-1 was very easy to use....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 09-01-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
ATI Performance Products
Sponsor

Liked 9 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
I used an Accel Gen VII and bought a data logger for it that was a separate box offered by Accel DFI. I sent my Accel ECU box in for a firmware update to allow the use of this separate data logger.

I never was able to get any usefull information from it....

It was working but I had a great amount of difficulty getting it to work as it should have. It had as many as 10 channels it could record if I recall right....

I had a toggle switch to turn it on and set the parameters for when it would start recording.

I did have an Innovate LM-1 with rpm converter and it worked fine....Used it a lot. I used it on every time run and removed it before eliminations.....

I needed a better understanding of how to tune my system and correlate the info from the LM-1 into my DFI's fuel map....

The LM-1 was very easy to use....
We have all AEM stuff. Challenger has two and they work great. I change them once a year. COPO now has 10 of them. Standalone box for each bank and two in the collectors go to the ECU. Sounds more like wiring or software issues for you. 17.99 is what I read in collectors at idle since there is not enough collector extension for low rpm tuning. However during the run shortly after launch they come around and don't get a sniff of outside oxygen. But since you tried in header and got the same I think wiring. One other check is to power up and see if it's getting hot. If we leave them on for 5 minutes you can't touch it.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Bobby

If your going to E-town and would like to try an LM-1 I have 2 with either the RPM converter or Aux Box. They both worked well in my stocker when I was using the Accel Gen VI. Even have the old laptop with software installed.

Signman1946@gmail.com
Yes Frank I will be there, that would be awesome. Thanks alot. And yes I wonder if the problem is my grounding. I have a large cable going from the battery negative to the engine block and that is where I ground everything so I have alot of stuff stacked there. Even the DFI ECU which is supposed to go to the battery but I figured it technically was.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #17
George Wright

Liked 345 Times in 31 Posts

Bobby,

Are you logging battery voltage? If so see where the battery voltage is durring the run when it is not reading correctly. I had an O2 sensor that would work intermittentaly and give me a flat 20 AFR reading on the run. The problem was my battery voltage was dropping to around 11.4 volts on the run. I replaced the battery and it worked fine after that. Also make sure the O2 sensor is turned on at least 30 seconds prior to recording your run. It has a heater element in it that must come up to temperature in order to work correctly. If you turn on everything prior to your burnout you should be ok. However if you are the type that turns on your system right before you stage, make sure the O2 heater is on prior to that.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #18
Reed Granrt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is what I use on my Dyno.
reed

http://www.14point7.com/
Reed Granrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #19
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

My issue with the Accel data logger was software related. I did add collector extensions and had no problem getting good AFR readings at lower rpm with the LM-1. A few lean spikes at low rpm but not much of an issue.

I have a Daytona Sensors AFR in my car now. Have not used it yet to record runs only to check AFR at one specific rpm.....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 09-02-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #20
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Wright View Post
Bobby,

Are you logging battery voltage? If so see where the battery voltage is durring the run when it is not reading correctly. I had an O2 sensor that would work intermittentaly and give me a flat 20 AFR reading on the run. The problem was my battery voltage was dropping to around 11.4 volts on the run. I replaced the battery and it worked fine after that. Also make sure the O2 sensor is turned on at least 30 seconds prior to recording your run. It has a heater element in it that must come up to temperature in order to work correctly. If you turn on everything prior to your burnout you should be ok. However if you are the type that turns on your system right before you stage, make sure the O2 heater is on prior to that.
My battery is 11.5 V at idle and then at WOT it's 13.7 with the alternator. Should I be turning the key on and letting the sensor warm up before starting the car? First things first I am going to send the ECM wires straight to the battery negative post and see if that helps anything.