HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tom Coonly / David Surmatchewski Win TNTSS Memorial Day!

Car counts are consistently stronger with 30 and 32 cars competing!

With 30 cars on Friday and 32 on Saturday, the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series produced some outstanding sportsman drag racing this past Memorial Day weekend powered by Steve's Electric. Tom Coonly returned to the TNTSS winner's circle at Dunn Tire Raceway Park and David Surmatchewski took home over $1000 at Empire Dragway's 1/4 mile.

Friday May 25 - Dunn Tire Raceway Park
Even with the threat of thunderstorms, 30 of the best sportsman racers descended upon DTRP to kick off the Memorial Day weekend. After two rounds of qualifying, David Surmatchewski sat in the number one spot with a perfect 7.000. In fact, the top eight qualifiers were all better than a 7.010. When the night ended, it was Tom Coonly from Blasdell, NY who came from the 18th qualifying position to take the event win.

Tom had his game set on kill in round one where he posted a near perfect run with a .501 reaction and a 7.001 ET to take out Jason Vitez's .532 and 7.017. Then he bested Steve McCarrick in round two with a .512 tree and in round three, he defeated Rich Halleen with a .503 and 7.013 ET to Rich's .523, 7.012 effort.

The semi-final round saw Tom face TNTSS Rookie of the Year contender Jim Thomson. Almost dead even on the tree (.517 and .520), Tom took the win with a 7.013 to Jim's too fast 6.996.

Emerging from the other side of the ladder was Jeff Sobczynski who defeated Gary Stowell, Chris VanBaalen, Sam LoVetro and Gary Saska on his way to the final. Tom had a slight starting line advantage over Jeff (.511 to a .522) and side by side through the top end, Tom took the win with a 6.997 to a 6.980.

"I have to thank Jeff Gregoire for always giving me a good car to drive," said Tom in the DTRP Winner's Circle. "And Ted (Barnes) for putting this series on and Joe's Transmission for supporting us. Russ and Arlene Parker for all their help at every race and Steve McCarrick for sponsoring the weekend." Tom was quick to thank his sponsors, Phil's Quality Auto Service and autosdirectbuffalo.com .

For his efforts, Tom took home the $700 purse plus contingency from Altronics, Auto Meter, Hoosier Tire Canada and Jiffy-tite. This win moves Tom up to third in the 2012 TNTSS standings and improves his qualifying position in the upcoming Performance Improvements TNTSS Race of Champions.

Specialty Awards - Friday May 25
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦David Surmatchewski (Oakland, Ontario) with a 7.000
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Paul Young (Alden, NY) with a 7.004
•Dunn Tire Raceway Park FREE PASS - Best Reaction Time (1st Round Loser)
◦Harry Phelps (Newark, NY) with a .501

Saturday May 26 - Empire Dragway
A record high car count for the TNTSS at Empire of 32 cars saw Jeff Kerl landing on the pole after a near perfect 10.901 run. But that wasn't enough to stop the 2011 TNTSS Champion David Surmatchewski from taking his second win at the Leicester, NY facility, making him undefeated there in TNTSS competition.

In round one, Gary Stowell fell victim to Dave's .501, 10.916 package making the race over once Gary was .519 on the tree.

As darkness descended going in to round two, Dave knew enough to turn his taillights on while he beat Joe Urbino (.511 to .533) and ran 10.908 to Joe's too fast 10.878.

Almost dead even on the tree, Dave defeated Doug Lynden in a third round double breakout 10.895 versus 10.856. And when Harry Phelps missed the tree in the semi's, Dave advanced to the final round with a 10.914 to Harry's 10.907.

There he met up with TNTSS newcomer, Scott Church who took out some tough competitors on his way to the final, including Jon Jablonski, Bill Elekes, Larry Pulver and Andrew Stirk. Scott put up a good fight but Dave had the starting line advantage and took the stripe in a double breakout 10.887 to a losing 10.868.

"I have to thank Alex Schuts of Insta Insulation for all they do for me, special thanks to Glen Horner of Wakefield Castrol Canada, Brady Kelly and all the fine staff at UAP NAPA Brantford and Danny Douglas at Douglas Engines Brantford," said Dave. "And as always, I couldn't do this if it wasn't for the love and support of Alyson, Marissa and Maddy (my girls)."

Dave commented that it was a real thrill to win at Empire a second time in as many races. "I was having a really tough day getting a fix on both the tree and the track, but with a bunch of luck and patience, it all came around for me during eliminations," he added. "This is an exciting series which boast some of the toughest competition in sportsman racing and I am honoured to not only race with this bunch, but also call them friends."

"I would also like to thank Bob Metcalfe and the staff at Empire for making us welcome and preparing a great racing surface for us to compete on. And finally thanks to Ted Barnes, Russ and Arlene Parker, Joe Boniferro for all their hard work in putting together and running this series."

This win moves David into the points lead by a slim 24 points over Mark Herbold. The points chase is so close, the gap between #2 and #5 is only nine points.

Specialty Awards - Saturday May 26
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Jeff Kerl (Williamsville, NY) with a 10.901
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Scott Jahren (Tonawanda, NY) with a 10.903
•Empire Dragway FREE PASS - Best Reaction Time (1st Round Loser)
◦Gary Saska (Ingersoll, Ontario) with a .508

Next up for the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series is the first Canadian stop on the 2012 schedule - a double header at Cayuga Dragway of Toronto Motorsports Park on June 9-10. The Can-Am Stock / Super Stock Series along with the DSE Sportsman Racing Series will be there as well. Visit http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com for full details.

2012 Joe's Transmission TNTSS Points Standings - After 3 of 13

1 David Surmatchewski 223
2 Mark Herbold 199
3 Tom Coonly 196
4 Harry Phelps 192
5 Larry Pulver 190
6 Gary Saska 174
7 Kirk Parry 173
8 Jim Thomson / Ryan Boniferro 171
9 Paul Young 170
10 Jeff Kerl / Gary Kerl 169