HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Jablonski and Stirk take home TNTSS victories at Cayuga!

Record car count for the TNTSS at Cayuga with 27 cars!

The first stop on the Canadian side of the 2012 schedule saw 27 Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series competitors at Cayuga Dragway this past weekend.

Presented by Bieda's Powersports, we could have used some watercraft to get around the pits as Mother Nature completely rained out Saturday's on-track festivities. So the TNTSS ran two races on Sunday with Jon Jablonski from West Seneca, NY and Andrew Stirk from Brampton, Ontario coming out on top.

Sunday June 10 - Race #4
Qualifying in the fourth position, J.J. sat near the top of the chart heading into eliminations, which gave him lane choice over most of the field.

Round one saw him overcome a .009 light by Steve McCarrick as he pushed Steve under the 10.90 index for the win. Then Gary Kerl went .005 red so J.J. ran it out to a 10.899 to move into round three. There he faced the current points leader David Surmatchewski and won by .005 in a double breakout.

In the semi's, he bested Scott Jahren with a slight advantage at the tree and closer to the index ET setting him up for the final against Wellandport Ontario's Chris VanBaalen. Chris had some stout competition on his side of the ladder with Gary Saska, Tom Coonly, Kirk Parry and Bill Elekes all putting up a good fight.

In the final, it was J.J. with an .013 to Chris' .033 and that was enough for the hard-charging Chevy to push Chris under the index and take the event win.

"I'd like to thank my wife Nicole who was acting crew chief and my mom for her support," said J.J. in the winner''s circle. "And Mark Vitez and Dennis O'Brien for their help with the car every week."

The beautiful 1967 Chevy gets support from Jason Vitez Race Cars, TC Printing, Phil's Auto, Jan-Cen Racing Engines and Joe's Transmission. "I really want to thank Joe's Transmission for making this series possible and Bieda's Powersports for presenting this weekend," J.J. added.

This weekend's performance moves J.J. to the top of the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series points standings and improves his qualifying position for the 2012 TNTSS Performance Improvements Race of Champions.

Specialty Awards - Race #4
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Tom Coonly (Blasdell, NY) with a 10.923
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Jim Thomson (Niagara Falls, Ontario) with a 10.916

Sunday June 10 - Race #5
Andrew Stirk came from the 19th qualifying spot to take the second race of the weekend over Jon Jablonski - who was in his second final of the day. Round one saw Andrew use an .011 package to load Dave Surmatchewski on the trailer. Then in round two, he forced Rob Holden further under the index in a double breakout.

Paul Young was next to fall in a close race with similar reaction times and a .014 margin at the stripe. In the semi's, Steve McCarrick went too fast handing the final round to Andrew where he would face off against J.J. who had to get through the likes of Nick Mayer, Matt Devries and Gary Saska as he continued his march through the field with nine straight round wins that day.

Dead even on the tree with a pair of .020 lights, the final saw Andrew ran dead on 9 to take the win over J.J.'s 10.939 ET.

"I want to thank Ian Rae from headsupracer.com who sells RacePak data aquisition systems which the Corvette is equipped with, Fram Filters, Finish First Auto Polish, Renegade Race Fuels in Brantford, and DSE Automotive for preparing my cars," said Andrew.

"I also want to thank my family friend Jerry Simson who helped us out this weekend while my mom and dad attended to some family matters. And my brother Iain Stirk and my girlfriend Jessica for helping all weekend with the cars and with the DSE Sportsman Racing series."

"This win is dedicated to my grandma Jean Stirk," added Andrew. "She's not doing so well and I really wanted to bring some hardware back for her. Glad I could."

Just before press time, Jean passed away. Our condolences are with the family.

Andrew normally runs the Corvette in 9.90 competition so it took a few runs to get the car dialed in. By the time the second race rolled around, he had the car running between 10.89 and 10.91 for almost 10 rounds between Hot Rod and Super Pro. The 1963 Corvette roadster is prepared by DSE Automotive with a 454 for power and is capable of 8.90 runs at 151 mph.

Specialty Awards - Race #5
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Dave Gunn (Hamilton, Ontario) with a 10.905
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦David Surmatchewski (Oakland, Ontario) with a 10.918

The Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series takes a three week break and returns on Friday June 29 to Dunn Tire Raceway Park. Visit http://www.dunntireracewaypark.com for event info and join the TNT Super Series on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for all the latest, up-to-the-minute information.

2012 Joe's Transmission TNTSS Points Standings - After 5 of 13
1 Jon Jablonski 355
2 David Surmatchewski 337
3 Mark Herbold 311
4 Harry Phelps 308
5 Larry Pulver 305
6 Tom Coonly 302
7 Paul Young 295
8 Chris
Peter VanBaalen
VanBaalen 290
9 Steve McCarrick 284