HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default TNTSS - Coonly, Jablonski, Stoutenberg - Skyview Ironman!

Local sportsman series produces three IHRA divisional winners in two different classes!

Producing top talent in the sportsman drag racing ranks is a key focus for the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series. That has never been more obvious than this past weekend during the IHRA Summit Racing Equipment Pro-Am presented by Amsoil at Skyview Drags in Tioga Center, NY.

Three regular competitors in the TNTSS went to the IHRA winner's circle - Saturday it was Tom Coonly (Blasdell, NY) winning Hot Rod and Jon Jablonski (West Seneca, NY) taking Super Rod and then Sunday, Jerry Stoutenberg (Rush, NY) took Hot Rod.

In Saturday's race, Tom drove his 1975 Nova through the Hot Rod field, taking out Kathy Kiekel, Dean Olschewske and Mark Proulx on his way to the semi's where he met up with fellow TNTSS competitor Jeff Fisher. Tom got Jeff on both ends of the racetrack and moved into the final against yet another TNTSS regular, Jan Winkowski.

The round ended on the starting line as Jan went .008 red... Tom still cruised through the top end dead on 7 for the win. Tom was quick to thank Jeff Gregoire and Pete D'Agnolo for their help along with the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series for giving him a venue to stay sharp. "I also want to thank Phil's Quality Auto Service and autosdirectbuffalo.com for all they do for me," said Tom.

J.J.'s march through Super Rod included round wins against Joe Fiano, Tommy Allen and Gerald Pierce to set him up to face Bill Nuzzo in the final. A .006 advantage on the tree gave J.J. all he needed to take the win at the stripe.

This is J.J.'s third Super Rod win at Skyview in each of the past three years. "I couldn't do this without Nicole's support," said J.J. "A guy couldn't ask for a better woman than Nicole."

J.J. also thanked his mom along with Mark Vitez and Dennis O'Brien for their help with the 1967 Chevy every week. "I got to thank Jason Vitez Race Cars, TC Printing, Phil's Auto, Jan-Cen Racing Engines, Joe's Transmission for their help and the TNT Super Series - I don't know why more Super Gas/Rod guys don't run it!"

On Sunday, Jerry made Hot Rod look easy. He and his 1964 Valiant cut down the tree with an average reaction time of .008 against formidable competitors like Dean Olschewske, Skip Saddler and Jeff Fisher. And when Jerry put a .023 package together in the final, Michael Schibrel's hopes were gone off the line with his .024 light.

"You know, I got lucky, getting by first round with a .000 margin of victory and then cut a perfect .000 light in round two. This is the first IHRA event final round I've been in since I won two of them back in 2002," commented Jerry. "That makes me three for three!"

Jerry was quick to thank Rick Vania of R.V. Engines, Carl Ettipio of Competition Transmission and Sam Mitrano of Mitrano Tire. "I've been doing this a lot of years and these folks give me the help I need." Jerry has been drag racing on and off since 1965 and owned the Valiant since 1986. The car has a 528 hemi and runs 9.30's wide open.

The next stop on the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series schedule is Friday June 29 at Dunn Tire Raceway Park. Then the TNTSS heads to Grand Bend for its return to the IHRA Nitro Jam and a special 10.90 event on Friday July 20. Visit www.tntsuperseries.com for more information, talk to us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.