HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 05-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts
Default Weird electrical issue.

Testing yesterday, I had a weird electrical issue happen. A little background...the electrical system is clean, simple, no factory wiring of any kind being used, high quality ground cables and connections, all connectors soldered. Single battery up front in the stock location.

Halfway through second gear, the car died as if the ignition had been shut off. Back at the trailer, the battery showed zero voltage. Not low voltage but 0.00 volts. It had been 13.8 before the run. With the spare battery installed, there was a big arc when the + cable was attached to the battery...like a dead short. Both batteries are AGM type. With a test light and volt meter, we checked everything back and it turned out the starter was the source of the dead short. Put the spare starter in an all was good and finished the day out with no issues.

So...here's my question. Could a broken plate in the battery cause the battery to short internally, taking out the solenoid at the same time? Or could the solenoid have shorted and killed the battery?

It acted almost like a car does when the positive power cable grounds to a header tube. I saw this a couple of times years ago and in one instance it actually exploded the battery.

Thoughts? -Al
Old 05-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Roberte

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Weird electrical issue.

How about the field coils grounding to the housing?
That has bit me before. Bob
Roberte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
Todd Gross

Liked 52 Times in 23 Posts

I would think the shorted solenoid would be the culprit. A plate shift in a battery can kill the Battery, but should not harm a piece of hardware like a solenoid, being that it is down stream. Possibly, it could harm something software-like, such as an ECU, but not a high current solenoid. One way to confirm is to carefully and keeping distance, attempt to recharge the dead battery to see if it would recover.
Liked
Old 05-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

I would definitely suspect a shorted alternator.
Although some race alternator suppliers recommend against them ,I always use a fusible link at the alternator connection.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
Patric Fox

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Batteries can do some weird things, I have seen bad cells, plate problems, and I seen one reverse polarity, where the positive terminal became negative and the negative was positive.
Patric Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
Mark Ugrich

Liked 54 Times in 31 Posts

I’ve seen alternators short and drain a battery, plugging in a new starter probably wouldn’t fix that.Short to ground in the starter field windings/armature would make sense.I don’t think a shorted solenoid would cause what you describe.I have seen shorted or worn solenoids engage the starter until the battery runs out of current though.What orientation is the battery mounted in? Like was said , I’d try slowly recharging the battery. It might come back if nothing melted internally.
Mark Ugrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #7
Jim Hawkins

Liked 109 Times in 32 Posts

Alan, I work on electric forklifts and all kinds of dc battery powered industrial equipment. From your description the problem was what you found, the solenoid or armature in the starter. Usually the contacts weld and will not turn off. Direct short to ground not very common.
Did the cables start to overheat? Seems like it took your battery down real quick.
The short must have created a open circuit in your battery, inner cell connector burnt open. If the battery reads 0 volts and will not charge it has a open circuit internally. Probably a better situation if that is what happened, acted like a fuse rather than something else like the cables melting and catching fire until the battery current flow dropped.
If the problem originated at the battery should not have damaged the starter. Path of least resistance would have been in the battery itself.
Jim Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #8
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Battery is mounted in the normal, transverse location in the factory location (Chevy Nova). The plates in the battery are oriented front-to-rear in the battery.

No over heated cables or burnt connectors when it happened. -Al

Last edited by Alan Nyhus; 05-10-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Alan Nyhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
I would definitely suspect a shorted alternator.
Although some race alternator suppliers recommend against them ,I always use a fusible link at the alternator connection.
Tom, I hadn't considered the alternator. It's a late model G.M. 76 amp. converted to single wire with a toggle switch in line to activate it. -Al
Old 05-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
rboyle

Liked 553 Times in 155 Posts

You can bench test them both now that they are out of the car qnd see which causes the problem. Use jumper cables if it's easier. If the battery holds a charge with nothing hooked up try adding the starter back into the circuit. If it arcs like last time it's the starter.
rboyle is offline   Reply With Quote