HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts
Default Re: Brother, Can You Spare a "Dime"?

The 71-72 350 Chevrolet motor loses 82 HP when the Quadrajet is swapped for a 2 bbl. 2 bbl's are hoot and more reliable than some folks say. I think it still ran about .800 under the M/SA index.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
The 71-72 350 Chevrolet motor loses 82 HP when the Quadrajet is swapped for a 2 bbl. 2 bbl's are hoot and more reliable than some folks say. I think it still ran about .800 under the M/SA index.
Thanks for that info, Bruce.
Did you change much else with the 2 bbl combo?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts

Hey boys, no fighting! The premise of the thread from the start was to toss some "dime" combos out there that could run under the new indexes without breaking the bank. I believe that most if not all of the combos mentioned are capable of doing that. I also believe that , except for maybe Oldsmobile, we've covered all of the popular models with at least one combo. I doubt if ANY of these combos would be a threat to be #1 at Indy but (if we're lucky) a few of these deals will get built and raced. We also know that most of the time, a Buick guy isn't going to race a Pontiac and etc. We've done our best and now it's up to the "Dime Rocketeers".
BTW, there are still cars out there. They're just not growing on trees anymore.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #14
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Hey, no big deal, Billy. Just jive talkin' here....

Now, I'm thinking that 2bbls keep coming up here...on V8s...How about the better V6 combos? Less engine parts to buy....In other words, cheaper.
It seems to me a smaller carb would go better on a smaller engine.

I'll just list a few.. If anybody's interested, we can work out the details.

77-78 Buick 231/ 130 hp .Still a great combo.

79 , dual jet @ 140 is okay too.

1979 Buick 3.0 (196) @ 115 hp

Various Malibu and Camaros with the 229 Chevy or even the 200 .Billy knows this one.

Here's an available one ; 1985 Monte Carlo 4.3, TBI . A Bob Shaw combo, since de-factored to less than the Caprice body ,which is competitive still. You could run a 2004R O/D with 6,14's if you wanted to..

We've got more...

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 10-27-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Mark Yacavone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Hey, no big deal, Billy. Just jive talkin' here....

Now, I'm thinking that 2bbls keep coming up here...on V8s...How about the better V6 combos? Less engine parts to buy....In other words, cheaper.
It seems to me a smaller carb would go better on a smaller engine.

I'll just list a few.. If anybody's interested, we can work out the details.

77-78 Buick 231/ 130 hp .Still a great combo.

79 , dual jet @ 140 is okay too.

1980 Buick 3.0 (196) @ 115 hp

Various Malibu and Camaros with the 229 Chevy or even the 200 .Billy knows this one.

Here's an available one ; 1985 Monte Carlo 4.3, TBI . A Bob Shaw combo, since de-factored to less than the Caprice body ,which is competitive still. You could run a 2004R O/D with 6,14's if you wanted to..

We've got more...
The main reason I lean toward 2V combos is it gets into less expensive, less crowded classes. When the restriction is on top of the motor (NHRA does occasionally check carbs) it can actually hurt the combo to enhance the heads and intake ($$$).

77-78 231 I like enough that I have one done in the garage waiting for a Monza or Sunbird. 78 must use a 1.09 venturi carb but NHRA has the 77 all "whored" up again and can use a big carb.

79 to me just doesn't look worth the 10 HP hit.

80 196, check out Monza 78-79 with this engine (blue light special!).

229 can still fly and can be reasonably done. The 200 is the brute here but can only make V and only in a Malibu at 2810 lbs ( big boned drivers need not apply!).

4.3 has #1 qualifier potential but it might push our budget.

My V6 catch of the day? 82 Pontiac Grand Prix 4V 252/170 the only car in the guide with this motor that's not a Buick and the specs are "different"!
In a Buick this has been factored and defactored over the years and it's still good and it has (in 84) a big Q-jet and a .411/.411 cam.
The Pontiac has a small Q-jet and a .357/.366 cam which sound like a bad thing but being a "different" combo than the Buick I believe that a well placed letter to NHRA would get this combo back some HP. The original factor was 165 HP and it was unfairly hit by a Buick which is a different combo. It seems only fair to put it back to at the most 165.
This one just screams "YAC" to me.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #16
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Mark,

We put the 2 bbl intake and carburetor on the motor at the end of a long dyno session and made a few pulls. Scott Welborn reworked the carburetor and it worked really well. We played with the jets and timing on the dyno and wrapped up the session. I ran it just like the Quadrajet set up for a few races and then put in a shorter duration cam which didn't help much. It picked up when I got ATI to build a converter for the 2bbl power range and by sticking a removable flanged pipe (neck-down) in the collector. My best time for the 2bbl combination was 12.27 @ 106mph in N/SA. That was somewhere around 1.05 under the old index. This 2 bbl combination should still run .700 under the new index. One thing I learned very quickly- the two barrel will turn the tires and at the worst possible time. It did not have enough power to plant the tires with the 4 bbl suspension set up. We had to move some things around.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
Jim Cassels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
The main reason I lean toward 2V combos is it gets into less expensive, less crowded classes. When the restriction is on top of the motor (NHRA does occasionally check carbs) it can actually hurt the combo to enhance the heads and intake ($$$).

77-78 231 I like enough that I have one done in the garage waiting for a Monza or Sunbird. 78 must use a 1.09 venturi carb but NHRA has the 77 all "whored" up again and can use a big carb.

79 to me just doesn't look worth the 10 HP hit.

80 196, check out Monza 78-79 with this engine (blue light special!).

229 can still fly and can be reasonably done. The 200 is the brute here but can only make V and only in a Malibu at 2810 lbs ( big boned drivers need not apply!).

4.3 has #1 qualifier potential but it might push our budget.

My V6 catch of the day? 82 Pontiac Grand Prix 4V 252/170 the only car in the guide with this motor that's not a Buick and the specs are "different"!
In a Buick this has been factored and defactored over the years and it's still good and it has (in 84) a big Q-jet and a .411/.411 cam.
The Pontiac has a small Q-jet and a .357/.366 cam which sound like a bad thing but being a "different" combo than the Buick I believe that a well placed letter to NHRA would get this combo back some HP. The original factor was 165 HP and it was unfairly hit by a Buick which is a different combo. It seems only fair to put it back to at the most 165.
This one just screams "YAC" to me.
Billy,
I wondered when you would get to the 252 4v. I have the motor pulled from a 82 Bonneville station wagon. it has been outside for about 5 yrs. but it is complete. Someone come get it before I find a body.
Jim
Jim Cassels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I gotta learn to search more before asking a ton of silly questions! I just so happened to have picked up one of these GP's! Maybe dumb luck?
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #19
Glenn Hayes

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
One thing I learned very quickly- the two barrel will turn the tires and at the worst possible time. It did not have enough power to plant the tires with the 4 bbl suspension set up. We had to move some things around.

Bruce,
Just curious, what does one do with the rear suspension to make it work with a 2 bbl over a 4 bbl
Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
mtkawboy

Liked 52 Times in 16 Posts

Keep it coming, I love this stuff, its like drugs !!!!
mtkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote