HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
Randall Klein

Liked 317 Times in 66 Posts
Default Remembering Big Joe

Centuries ago a wise man wrote: there is a time to weep and a time to laugh, since hearing of Big Joe Tueton's passing I just can't get this one story out of my mind, and although many have heard it, I hope it brings a laugh or smile in memory of the character that was Big Joe:

'ol Joe was holding court in the pits at Dallas, probably late 1990's sharing many stories with a large group....this is how I remember it (and will stand corrected if needed)

Once ol Joe & Little Joe headed to Martin MI, I think MoPar was putting on a pre-Indy test, and Dick Maxwell asked Joe to lay down for their factory driver (John Hagan I think), Joe responded "I wouldn't throw the race if you gave me Chrysler.....and tell that so and so he better be using the clutch cause I am"

During Joe's story, someone commented that Houma to Martin was a long tow, ol Joe said, yes, but lil Joe took a turn too......now I don't know when that was exactly, but I'm pretty sure lil Joe was not of age, let alone reaching the controls!!!!

any other stories out there?
Randall Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
john oliverio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Remembering Big Joe

Can't tell this story the wayledlft out word Big Joe said it but here it goes. I believe it was 1981 at Indy Joe was running black 65 stick car. What happened everybody was complaining about the hemi cars with light fiberglass, light engine blocks and motors moved back. After SS ran time trials NHRA was pulling all the hemi cars off to the side after the scales. They pulled us off and when I reached where they put us there was all the hemi cars. So any way the got Joe for a light block and told him he was out. Well Joe told the official he came 1200 miles to race. The official said not this race. So Joe said let me bolt a head on the front bumper I want to race but the answer was no. So all the hemi guys are standing around together and Joe comes over and tells us now you guys no these Chevy guys teach these kids to hate us from when they are 3 feet tall. And he was dead serious. He was a great racer but a better person. Always made sure I talked to him at Indy. RIP
john oliverio is offline   Reply With Quote