HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
cummins

Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Default Storage

Do you guys drain the radiator and block or drain the water and put antifreeze and pump lube in. I just drained the water out of mine but thinking that it would make the inside of the block rusty without anything in it. What are your thoughts?
cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts
Default Re: Storage

I put antifreeze rated to at least -25 F in mine. Then circulate for awhile so everything gets coated with the antifreeze.

I fill it up high enough to make sure the water pump is covered all winter.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMACK View Post
I put antifreeze rated to at least -25 F in mine. Then circulate for awhile so everything gets coated with the antifreeze.

I fill it up high enough to make sure the water pump is covered all winter.
DITTO

The 1st year I had a stocker combo in my car, I drained the radiator with just the back of the car on the trailer. Next spring there were freeze plugs on the floor.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins View Post
Do you guys drain the radiator and block or drain the water and put antifreeze and pump lube in. I just drained the water out of mine but thinking that it would make the inside of the block rusty without anything in it. What are your thoughts?
The one year I tried that, some water got trapped inside and pushed out a freeze plug, may or may not have affected the head gasket. I did pull the drain plug on the side of the block too. Not good to visit your toy in Feb, and wonder whats that on the floor!

Now for the fleet, I take no chances, period. Every year before halloween, I simply empty the radiator with the drain spout, put one gallon of 100% antifreeze and fill up to the top with 50/50, run it to circulate it through the system and call it a day, it usually tests to -40 or -50, so good to go.

Eric
Old 12-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,422 Times in 1,951 Posts

Mike Walter told me this years ago. Spray running engine down with outboard engine fogging oil. Spray enough in it so it looks like the car is on fire. While spraying have some one kill engine. This will help fight corrosion in the engine when the car is cold and a warm moist weather front comes through.

Drain the block and cooling system and leave open so the last bit will evaporate.

Remove plugs and apply a squirt of fogging oil in each cylinder. Spin engine over to help coat cylinder walls.

Put number 1 at TDC and back of the rocker arms two to three turns on the valves that are close to max lift. Keep notes as to which valve got backed off and by how much. It will be handy information come spring.

Install plugs finger tight and it should be ready for its long winters nap.

It may not be the best way but it works for me.
Larry Hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

I remove the carb, then turn the engine over while spraying fogging oil down each intake runner.

Back off any rocker that does not have play.

Drain cooling system and fill with antifreeze.

Remove batteries.

In the Spring, be sure to tighten rockers first, before turning the engine over. Much easier that way!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Any tips for a more moderate climate like Washington State? The car is in an unheated garage undergoing minor updates to electrical and interior paint. It's seldom below freezing and if it goes there it's only for a day or two but it is constantly damp all Winter. I currently fire the car at least once a week with water only in the cooling system. I pull it out for a full warm up when I can. Any additive I should have in it?
Old 12-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Mike Walter told me this years ago. Spray running engine down with outboard engine fogging oil. Spray enough in it so it looks like the car is on fire. While spraying have some one kill engine. This will help fight corrosion in the engine when the car is cold and a warm moist weather front comes through.

Drain the block and cooling system and leave open so the last bit will evaporate.

Remove plugs and apply a squirt of fogging oil in each cylinder. Spin engine over to help coat cylinder walls.

Put number 1 at TDC and back of the rocker arms two to three turns on the valves that are close to max lift. Keep notes as to which valve got backed off and by how much. It will be handy information come spring.

Install plugs finger tight and it should be ready for its long winters nap.

It may not be the best way but it works for me.
I have been told 02 sensors on FI cars do not like oil. Some oils, like WD40, will kill them instantly. Keep that in mind when your drowning them with oil
Old 12-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Also, haven't been in the habit of backing off rockers for a few years now. I religiously turn the engine over at least 180 degrees every week or so. Heard many years ago that modern valve springs don't take a "set" like older technology did. And when I check them, even after a winter, there is no noticeable difference in pressures.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #10
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
I have been told 02 sensors on FI cars do not like oil. Some oils, like WD40, will kill them instantly. Keep that in mind when your drowning them with oil
Thanks for pointing that out.
I have one O2 sensor but it is used for data logging, not engine operation so it would be easy to take out and run the engine
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote