HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
JRyan

Liked 104 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: EFI control units

I will just add that the simplicity of the Holley HP and Dominator ECU's is amazing. I'm still most definitely an EFI tuning novice. But the HP system and parameters have been very easy to understand and work with. I learn a little more and get more comfortable every time I turn the laptop on.

Rick
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 838 Times in 292 Posts

Same here....
I like the learn function. It learns what its doing in closed loop to keep your target "on target." Its a memory bank, so to speak. Seems to take a couple runs to really create a nice correction to your map, but it gets there. You can turn it off if you like, but its really handy on a new map .. And I like that if you change your mind and go from 13.0 to 13.5 target, it will automatically change ( if you desire) your fuel map to make that happen ( accordingly,) I also like the ? function. Anything you have questions on, just right click on the ? and pull it down over the item in question and the entire manual comes up right in front of you pertaining to that issue. And it has a "arrow up and arrow down,arrow sideways" that adds or subtracts 5% or adds subtracts 1% with every push of the arrow. This makes it pretty sweet when something wont idle and your trying to zero in on keeping it running and finding something it likes before it dies ..I just think its really user friendly .

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 07-13-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Fast XFI has Closed Loop as well. You select it, or not.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #14
Jeff Niceswanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Fast XFI has Closed Loop as well. You select it, or not.
But no Learn tables or ability to transfer an automatic correction after a run ,right Ed ?
Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #15
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
But no Learn tables or ability to transfer an automatic correction after a run ,right Ed ?
Makes corrections during the run. You enter your target A/F ratio in each fuel table cell. The logger will show you the corrections it made when you play it back. Unless you have the fuel tablecway off, a couple of runs will make all the needed corrections. Save the tune after a run.
I save the tunes in a folder for each track. I would not idle it, or drive it down the return road in Closed Loop, unless your O2 sensor is a long way from the end of your collector.
With the FAST you can put it in Learn Mode, and tap the L key in each cel, and it makes the changes. I made a 24" collector extension with a 45 degree bend to slip on for idle & driving on the return road & pits, drove around tapping the L key. I then set it up to stay in Open Loop, other tan WOT. Spark plugs always stay white. O2 in the collector, of course, gives bogus Lean indications due to clean air pulled back into the collector during our cam's big overlap cycles. Don't want them in Closed Loop then.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 07-13-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #16
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,414 Times in 1,950 Posts

Keep talking, I'm enjoying this class. Now if I could only remember and apply. ;(
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #17
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Are you talking about the table where you enter the A/F values for each cel, that you want it to be? Not sure what you call Learn Tables? If so, yes FAST has them.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
Jeff Niceswanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Are you talking about the table where you enter the A/F values for each cel, that you want it to be? Not sure what you call Learn Tables? If so, yes FAST has them.
After a run Ed, you click on the LEARN TABLE and everywhere the system added or subtracted fuel ( in closed loop) is recorded. It is a % of fuel corrections .. You can then click on "transfer to base" and the changes (all, or partial, whatever you want) are automatically added to your base map, and next time no closed loop corrections are needed for the Holley to keep on target. It's pretty accurate. Only takes about 3 runs and all the WOT stuff above the 2 step are done. Below that, still has to be done the old fashion way, by hand and trial and error. I think the Fast System will do the same thing from what you are saying, except you must do it cell, by cell ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFI_screen4.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	46303  

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 07-15-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #19
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Jeff, guess I'm too old fashioned. I like to tune mine manually, as I have done for close to twenty years now.
I use Speed Density Mode, not Alpha N. At different tracks, at different elevations (thus different Baro values) mine runs off a different row in the VE (fuel) table. I have often put it in Closed Loop, to log it. I never see more than 2% corrections. I also use the Intake Air Temp sensor so it can correct for different temps. Does that very well. Had to tweak the IAT correction table a little to get that. First time to Topeka, Great Bend, No Problem I only worked with the cells it was running from. Base tuning was done here at Tulsa, ~975' elevation. Baro normally ~ 930 Kpa, bad days 880s.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #20
btrc

Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
After a run Ed, you click on the LEARN TABLE and everywhere the system added or subtracted fuel ( in closed loop) is recorded. It is a % of fuel corrections .. You can then click on "transfer to base" and the changes (all, or partial, whatever you want) are automatically added to your base map, and next time no closed loop corrections are needed for the Holley to keep on target. It's pretty accurate. Only takes about 3 runs and all the WOT stuff above the 2 step are done. Below that, still has to be done the old fashion way, by hand and trial and error. I think the Fast System will do the same thing from what you are saying, except you must do it cell, by cell ..

Do you ever have problems the idle after you transferred the changes to base? I have mine at learn only above 5000 rpm and anything below is open loop but I still have idle problems after I transfer the changes.