HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default "Budget" 2-car hauling?

Need your thoughts. Not talking Stacker or Living Quarters here. What's the most practicle way to get 2 cars to the track safely with an eye on economy if possible? Talking about medium-weight cars here..1 about 3200, the other 3500lbs. I was thinking 1-ton ramp truck with an open car trailer vs. a Suburban towing a 2 car open trailer. Also thinking about the maintenance on the support vehicles, truck/trailer tire life, etc. Not a big diesel fan...would think a big-block gas engine would be the choice in the tow vehicle? Anybody have good luck hauling 2 cars with a smaller 350 ci. or so type engine? I would guess if going 2-car open trailer it should be tri-axle, and Suburban should be 3/4-ton, right? The ramp truck way I think is a bit more versatle especially if need to bring only 1-car on certain days, and probably easier for storage of tools, etc. Don't need room for golf-cart, bike, etc. How about expected fuel economy using either method? Terrain is a mix of hills and flats...not real flat like midwest or south! What are your experiences? Thanks!
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
div 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: "Budget" 2-car hauling?

I wouldn't even consider the suburban. A ton flatbed with a gooseneck trailer would work. All of the big blocks would work. I'd want an overdrive manual transmission. Hard to beat a diesel.
Pete
div 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ramp trailer with a 1 ton dually. Diesel, get a Duramax and Allison. You will be way better off this way. AND if you decide to upgrade to an enclosed, you won't need to buy another truck.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2nd on reconsidering a diesel. Each brand of diesel has its own positives and negatives, but they all work better than gasoline engines when pulling that kind of load.

I have a 32' tag enclosed trailer. I have towed it short distances using a half-ton Blazer (with add-a-leafs and double shocked), but I would never do it if not in a pinch. So far I have only used that trailer when moving cross-country (twice), and so far prefer to use an open trailer when racing locally (only running one car). The prior owner towed it with a Class C motorhome with a big block Chrysler, it worked okay except for the horrendous mileage. I towed it once with a 1982 GMC crew cab dually with a "turned-up" 6.2L diesel, would never try that again (horrible on hills). Replaced that with a 1995 Ford F350 (CC DRW) with a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel, even stock it pulled it well. With a few mods it pulls even better.

Years ago I knew a lot of people using gas-powered ramp trucks pulling open trailers, they seemed to work okay except for the mileage.

My eventual plan is to build a F450 pickup with a Cummins 5.9L engine, then use it to haul my slide-in camper while pulling the 32' trailer with both cars in it.

Regards,
Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

You might want to try contacting Mike or Chad Loge (you can find Chad on
this message board). They have towed with the ramp truck/open trailer,
enclosed two car trailer and open goose neck 3 car trailer. They should
be able to tell you the good the bad and the ugly. You can also try
1-800-969-5004
Old 06-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Years ago I towed about the same load with a Ford 6.9 diesel and it was gutless. I had a friend that had a 32 ft enclosed trailer with a 454 suburban and it couldn't handle the load, he was all over the road.

Any of the big dually's will do the job, I wouldn't dream of towing with anything else, diesel's will get the job done. You can pick up low mileage diesels fairly cheap, don't buy older chevy's that don't have the duramax.

Jim R

Last edited by treessavoy; 06-19-2009 at 03:14 PM.
treessavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks guys. The last time we raced years ago it was one car hauled on an open trailer and a 2wd 1/2 ton Suburban. The truck was kinda odd because it was a 350 with a 4-speed and had a factory 3.73 rear with 15" tires. We didn't "push" the 'Burban" because it had a bunch of miles on it but got about 9-10 mpg towing at about 60 mph. I thought that was reasonably good for a stock tired motor with 30w oil in the crankcase...synthetics weren't big at the time. I wish I had the $$$ and time then to see what a fresh and "tricked-out" tow motor would have done. I know that hauling 2 cars with a bigger rig you probably won't see figures like that no matter what drivetrain. Still don't like Diesels...the noise and the smell....Also wasn't Diesel fuel a bunch more per gallon last summer? My buddy and I will have to figure this thing out.....once this "economy" gets rolling again!
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

i'm with you, i don't care for diesels BUT a duramax IS pretty quiet (compared to a cummins or a ford)
Tom keedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomslik View Post
i'm with you, i don't care for diesels BUT a duramax IS pretty quiet (compared to a cummins or a ford)
Yes I can hear my Ford 6.0 at idle, but on the road you do not hear the motor.
My F350 4x4 with 4:10's and open car trailer average 13 to 15 mpg on the road.
but that is only one car.

At least at the present time, diesel is cheaper than regular 87 gas by .10 to .25 per gallon.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree, get a dually pick up with a diesel. A goose neck 2 car hauler can be bought at a reasonable price if you shop around. I talked my brother out of a tag trailer. We have a crew cab dually diesel Chevrolet and a 36 ft enclosed goose neck trailer. Our car weighs 4100 lbs. We we both glad we passed on the tag and selected the goose neck. It goes down the road smooth and handles like a dream no sway even in the wind.