HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #31
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts
Talking Re: Super Gas speeds

You guys don't know what bad visibility is unless you sat inside my Willys!
7"x 39" windshield ,and sitting back behind the b pilar with no quarter window to look out of!
When I built it in the mid '80s it was great cause I was one of the faster cars out there @154-155mph,but when everyone caught up the winning stopped!
Trying to find those 170 mph cars with no roof was impossible while looking thru a "mail slot" !!
Maby I'll bring it back out as a 150 mph Super Street car when I'm done making it "street legal"
Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #32
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Super Gas speeds

Tom, you might as well run super street. Seems like everyone is in the 140-150 range
That "entry level" went to hell in a hand basket.
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #33
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Re: Super Gas speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Verwold View Post
Tom, you might as well run super street. Seems like everyone is in the 140-150 range
That "entry level" went to hell in a hand basket.
Entry level class LOL dave connelly entered last year and won DIV2
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
the car is more fun to drive also.....
I don't know how you can say that Rock. Of two cars setup with a starting line throttle stop configuration, sure the faster one is going to be more fun to drive. But, what would be more fun to drive, your car FLAT OUT at 155 mph, or on the stop like it is now but at 165 mph?

My car is faster now on the stop than it used to be flat out, but it was WAY more fun to drive when I was running 9.75 @ 138 mph flat out. What wasn't fun was losing all the time because it wasn't as consistent and because I couldn't see all the 155 mph S/G cars chasing me down. Thank God Billy Leber convinced me to move to S/St.

I've been telling myself recently that I wouldn't go back to S/G until the car could run AT LEAST 155 mph on the stop. This Division Champ data just confirms that, and even makes me think I shouldn't go back until I hit 160 mph.

Which is crazy...spending ALL that money to build a car that will run in the mid to low 8's just to make it boring by putting more time in the throttle stop to run 9.90's. Such a shame...
Old 01-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #35
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Talking Re: Super Gas speeds

I have a hard time imagining what it would be like in a fast car with a four second bog after you take off at full power. Any body got any in car videos of this. I would like to see it. My feeling right now is no rules in S/G or S/C. Do anything you want, no weight limit, use of traction control devices, use of matty boxes, have the tach wire going to the throttle control box. Open it up. And only one light at the starting line, the stage bulb, and the green. No prestage, and no ambers. Lets have some fun
Steve Willie Williams S/G 351N
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #36
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Steve......you gotta lay off the egg nogg.....lol

And Jason....our vette runs pretty good on the stop.....and when it comes off...it goes pretty good...I have to pay attention....

Without the stop....it would wheelie way too hard.....as the motor is back and high....even though it's slower than our super stocker....it's way more violent....if I can get Kenny to put up a couple of my videos....you can tell the vette is violent as my head bounces around....lol...I'm on an IPad now and can't....till Monday...

Rock
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #37
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Like I said, what would be more fun to drive, the car not on the stop, or on it?!?

Welcome to racing a Corvette. Try a 3' wheelstand in a 99" wheelbase with a bunch of bump-steer. And if you REALLY want violent, put a 5-speed in it with a 3.27 first gear and 6.50 rear gears, mat the throttle, and let out the clutch. THAT'S violent...and fun (and expensive, and not conducive to winning unfortunately, but the fans love it!)

If I didn't like winning, had a slightly larger budget, and had balls of Tungsten like my old man, that 5-speed would be going back in the car in a heartbeat.

And no videos are necessary unless you really feel the need. I've seen plenty of runs by high-powered S/G Corvette roadsters. I know they like to get up on the wheelie bar quickly, and then smash back down to earth when the stop comes on (I'm actually surprised you guys don't break more front suspension components). I also know you have to pay attention when the stop shuts off, but you also have 3+ seconds on every pass where you could do some reading, take a nap, or make a bologna sandwich (as do I). ZZZZzzzzzzz.....
Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #38
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

I think that in order to run Sg, you should have to be able to run 165 plus.That way, even though every one may have 4 seconds of stop in their car, they will be side by side all the way down the track. You wont have one car 150 feet in front of the other one and all the fans in the stands wont be wondering what happened and how did that car that was way behind catch up. It will make driving the finish line a whole lot easier as well. There wont be that 30 mph differance like there is now. I'm getting old and I just can't seem to judge the cars that are running 140 and I run 170. I think that by changing the rule it will help me out alot. LOL
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #39
Chuck Westcott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Super Gas speeds

When I grow up I wanna Car as fast as you Guy's !
Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #40
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Chuck.....an extra 100 cubes wouldn't hurt....lol that aero beretta would fly....but we will never grow up...

and Jason.....I have to have time to look into the crowd in the beginning of the run....lol

so a couple of seconds on the stop is perfect....
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote