HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #11
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: crankshaft bolt on damper turning tool

Hand, you are correct about bumping. I am double checking my TDC pointer and cam center line so I need the long handle manual smoothness.

It would be easy to build what I want but for $20.00 store bought not worth the time.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Yeah I used to lie on my back in the gravel to swap transmissions too. I know it can be done and has been for years...I don't do that anymore lol.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
:"Bumping" the starter will work, but you can't really control where it will stop. I prefer to do it manually.
When you set your valves, are you trying to turn it to a given point on the dampener?
You think it needs to stop at a certain degree BTDC? You do know the lifter just has to be on the cam's base, right?
Old 09-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #14
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
When you set your valves, are you trying to turn it to a given point on the dampener?
You think it needs to stop at a certain degree BTDC? You do know the lifter just has to be on the cam's base, right?
I don't know about Rich, but I'm a neat freak and like "First pushrod movement" to be just that. I have a high torque starter and bumping with a trigger will push it too far too easily. Not as consistent and controllable as hand cranking. I'm also too picky and burn a lot of time with stuff like this.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #15
Greenlight

Liked 70 Times in 18 Posts

This one works pretty good. You can turn the engine in either direction without worrying about the bolt backing out.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/2-In-1...CABEgJLY_D_BwE
Greenlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
I don't know about Rich, but I'm a neat freak and like "First pushrod movement" to be just that. I have a high torque starter and bumping with a trigger will push it too far too easily. Not as consistent and controllable as hand cranking. I'm also too picky and burn a lot of time with stuff like this.
Somebody told you to set your valves exactly when a pushrod moves? Really? You may be more mis informed about how the valvetrane functions, than "neat".

And somebody mentioned being uneasy turning the engine by "that 7/16" bolt" in the end of the crank? I just checked my fully assembled engine on the stand. All spark plug in, etc. takes 35 ftlbs to turn it. Have to wonder how 35 ft lbs is going to be hard on that 7/16" bolt? They typically torque to 70 ft lbs. 35 ft lbs won't "back out" a 7/16"
bolt properly torqued.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 09-07-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #17
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

Ed, I the specific case of the engine I am working with, it has bushing lifters. With those, there is a significant difference in rotating torque. In addition, it has .950 lift a 1000 lb + springs.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #18
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Somebody told you to set your valves exactly when a pushrod moves? Really? You may be more mis informed about how the valvetrane functions, than "neat".

...edited....
The process begins when the exhaust pushrod moves. A couple of hundred sources say this, what did I miss?

Dragzine:
EO/IC rule (Exhaust Opening and Intake Closing). Set the intake valve lash when the exhaust valve is beginning to open. This will put the intake lifter at the base circle which is where you want it to be. Then set the exhaust valve lash when the intake valve is about halfway down on the closing side.

On All Cylinders:
Then, rotate the engine until the exhaust pushrod on the cylinder you are working on begins to move upward. You’ll be looking for any rocker arm movement. This is the process of exhaust opening. At this point, you can adjust the intake because the intake valve will be closed, ensuring that the intake lifter is on the base circle of the cam.

Wallace Racing:
2. Hand turn the engine in its normal direction of rotation while watching the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder.
When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake valve.
(Why? Because when the exhaust is just beginning to open, the intake lifter will be on the base circle of the lobe,
so the intake is the one we can now adjust.)

Note: It's "misinformed" and "valve train"
Old 09-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #19
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsinger View Post
Ed, I the specific case of the engine I am working with, it has bushing lifters. With those, there is a significant difference in rotating torque. In addition, it has .950 lift a 1000 lb + springs.
Mine has the big lifters in bronze bushings. .824" lift, 1010/1015 open, 1.8-1 intake rockers.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #20
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
The process begins when the exhaust pushrod moves. A couple of hundred sources say this, what did I miss?

Dragzine:
EO/IC rule (Exhaust Opening and Intake Closing). Set the intake valve lash when the exhaust valve is beginning to open. This will put the intake lifter at the base circle which is where you want it to be. Then set the exhaust valve lash when the intake valve is about halfway down on the closing side.

On All Cylinders:
Then, rotate the engine until the exhaust pushrod on the cylinder you are working on begins to move upward. You’ll be looking for any rocker arm movement. This is the process of exhaust opening. At this point, you can adjust the intake because the intake valve will be closed, ensuring that the intake lifter is on the base circle of the cam.

Wallace Racing:
2. Hand turn the engine in its normal direction of rotation while watching the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder.
When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake valve.
(Why? Because when the exhaust is just beginning to open, the intake lifter will be on the base circle of the lobe,
so the intake is the one we can now adjust.)

Note: It's "misinformed" and "valve train"
This a a good start, but as anyone will tell you, you can set them exactly this way, but when you bump it a bit more, the lash may be a few thousandth's looser, and you may have to readjust. Every cam has its "sweet" spot. Just how I do it.