Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: # of axle splines in an E-body stocker

If you have to stay with the 8 3/4, you may want to consider a few optional upgrades to extend its life.

1) Definitely stay with 35 splines. The axles are actually the same as a 35 spline Dana 60 axle, just use different lengths.

2) Cryo and/or REM finish on the ring & pinion. I've had a few sets done at Evans Performance near Atlanta, GA and I'm convinced that the processes extend their life. It will be easier for your set-up guy to do it before the process because it's difficult to get a pattern with the gears polished. http://www.evansperformance.com/home2.html

3) Straighten & install a backbrace on the housing. It may have to be notched for shock clearance.

4) Install a large diameter filler cap near the top of the housing mainly for easier regular inspection of the gears. You can usually catch a tooth or two starting to go away. But a ring & pinion or u-joint failure will likely take out the trans sprag as well.

5) A billet yoke on the pinion will help prevent u-joint loss from a yoke that can actually spread over time, which causes the u-joint to hammer itself out. (It happened to me footbraking a small block.)

6) My u-joint preference are solid Spicer joints. They have a good variety including 7260, 7290, 1350 and assorted conversion joints.

7) If your rear wheels don't have very thick centers, you may be able to get by with 2" wheel studs instead of 3" to save a little weight. I know Moser has them, but not sure about the other brands.

8) I'm guessing that you'll need at least 4.86 - 5.13 gears. Summit has them for 742 cases only.

9) Mark Williams makes billet caps that can be installed for added strength in that area. I forgot which side has the higher rate of breakage.

Good luck!

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 10-16-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote