HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #31
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 70's & 80's Pro Stockers

A little more of John Hagen's Arrow for y'all. Did Hagen purchase Glidden's Arrow and compete with it at some point? The first John Hagen post here shows an Arrow with large rectangular stretched rear wheel well openings which are very similiar to Gliddens original Plymouth.

a990hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #32
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bob Glidden's NHRA World Championship Pro Stock Plymouth Arrow

Glidden's car after it was purchsed by Paul Gentilozzi who later became a Trans Am Series champion and team owner.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #33
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I came across this info on a few other websites and I've heard a couple of different stories about Gliddens Arrow, so I don't know if it was his originally or not...

Quote: Paul Gentilozzi’s old D/Gas Arrow is alive and well, and my father, Dennis Buckley, has been bracket racing the car for the last 12 years now," wrote Scott Buckley. "The little Plymouth has retained all of its original Wayne Farr chassis and red anodized tinwork but was updated with an early '80s grille and headlights by a previous owner. Paul Gentilozzi and Wayne Farr verified the authenticity of the car at a Trans Am Series race at Road America about eight years ago. Paul told us that he had the car constructed when he was the technical editor for Popular Hot Rodding magazine after doing an in-depth feature on Glidden’s Pro Stock Arrow. Paul was first in line to purchase Glidden’s car when Ford renewed Bob’s Pro Stock sponsorship, so he sold the red Arrow to a fellow Super Gas racer in Kentucky (after removing the manual trans and installing a Powerglide), and it eventually wound up in Nebraska, where my father purchased it 12 years ago. The old Arrow is still very consistent, and Dad won the Super Pro category at the Drag News Shootout a few years ago and also had a runner-up finish at the Fall Bracket Nationals. The old Plymouth Arrow is in the Madison, Wis., area now.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 10-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #34
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
I came across this info on a few other websites and I've heard a couple of different stories about Gliddens Arrow, so I don't know if it was his originally or not...

Quote: Paul Gentilozzi’s old D/Gas Arrow is alive and well, and my father, Dennis Buckley, has been bracket racing the car for the last 12 years now," wrote Scott Buckley. "The little Plymouth has retained all of its original Wayne Farr chassis and red anodized tinwork but was updated with an early '80s grille and headlights by a previous owner. Paul Gentilozzi and Wayne Farr verified the authenticity of the car at a Trans Am Series race at Road America about eight years ago. Paul told us that he had the car constructed when he was the technical editor for Popular Hot Rodding magazine after doing an in-depth feature on Glidden’s Pro Stock Arrow. Paul was first in line to purchase Glidden’s car when Ford renewed Bob’s Pro Stock sponsorship, so he sold the red Arrow to a fellow Super Gas racer in Kentucky (after removing the manual trans and installing a Powerglide), and it eventually wound up in Nebraska, where my father purchased it 12 years ago. The old Arrow is still very consistent, and Dad won the Super Pro category at the Drag News Shootout a few years ago and also had a runner-up finish at the Fall Bracket Nationals. The old Plymouth Arrow is in the Madison, Wis., area now.

This was not Glidden's Arrow, I know since my father owned and campaigned this car in Super Pro for the last 14 years. Paul Gentilozzi was the technical editor for Popular Hot Rodding magazine back in the late 70s - early 80s when the magazine featured a lot of drag racing. Paul and Wayne Farr built the red and silver Arrow starting with a body in white and were awarded Best Engineered for their efforts at the 1979 Spring Nationals. My father sold the car to a Milwaukee area racer about 2 years ago and we haven't heard from him since.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #35
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gentilozzi never campaigned this Arrow in Pro Stock since it was originally created to break a D/Gas record which it, but we were told by the previous owner in Nebraska that the car was raced in a midwestern Pro Stock series with a HEMI in place of the W-2 headed small block. My father received HEMI motor plates and headers with it when he purchased it back in the mid 90s.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #36
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a990hemi View Post

Glidden's car after it was purchsed by Paul Gentilozzi who later became a Trans Am Series champion and team owner.

a990hemi, so can you please explain your comments that you made here...did Gentilozzi buy the Glidden Arrow or not.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #37
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a990hemi View Post

Did Bob have two arrows I thought Don Campinelo in nj bought the arrow less motor and trans
Old 10-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #38
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Paul Gentilozzi purchased Bob Glidden's red, white and blue Arrow from Bob Glidden immediately after Ford renewed Glidden's Pro Stock sponsorship. Glidden only campaigned the Plymouth Arrow for one season and absolutely dominated the NHRA series with it.

Gentilozzi saw the advantages of buying a turn key world championship car versus upgrading his own creation for the Pros. The red and silver Arrow is an entirely different car from the white with red and blue striped Glidden Arrow. The obvius difference is the different shapes of the rear wheel openings - Gentilozzi built red/ silver car has oval openings where the white Glidden built car has stretched rectangular rear wheel openings.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #39
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Yes I also noticed the larger wheelwells and different scoops that were used on the Hagan & Glidden pro stock Arrow's and wondered why anyone would change them back to the original wheel opening, when they were sold to whoever bought them...but makes sense they're two different cars.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #40
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My information about Gentilozzi and Glidden came directly from Paul Gentilozzi a couple of years ago when I spoke to him last. I am however wondering if Gentilozzi did not buy the white Arrow directly from Glidden since I just rediscovered a photo supplied by Gentilozzi showing an updated grille with rectangular headlights in the Glidden car when he owned it. I'll try to reformat and post that pic soon. I know that this paractice was common in order keep the car legal for competition as long as possible with NHRA's 5 year old maximum body rule for Pro Stock. So why would Paul update the front end as soon as he bought it from Glidden?