HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts
Default Two Lane Blacktop The movie

I have tried to watch this move twice in the last year. But it is always on late at night and I fall asleep before the end and then its not on again for months. Who wins the race? What happens at the end?
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Talking Re: Two Lane Blacktop The movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
I have tried to watch this move twice in the last year. But it is always on late at night and I fall asleep before the end and then its not on again for months. Who wins the race? What happens at the end?
You dont want to know.I guess the meaning is all that you make it to be in your mind.If Dennis Wilson said "I goota check the jets" one more time I would have attacked the projectionist.Personally I thought the movie sucked.Laurie Bird looked like she was on crack and Warren Oats was a poster boy for the LGBT movement,very strange.
Now you know why I never worked as a movie critic.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Two Lane Blacktop The movie

I love that movie. After trying to find it for years on TV, it was hit & miss and then usually missing the beginning or end which doesn't work for this kind of movie.
Then I found the 2008 remastered version in my library. Included (on paper, not a DVD bonus) was the script (that's a short read), a reprint of the Rolling Stones movie review from 1971 and I believe an interview with the Director (Monte Hellman). On the DVD was an interview with The Driver (James Taylor) who has never seen the movie as that is his policy on anything he does; doesn't look back. Google movie reviews of Two Lane Black Top and find some interesting reading.
Myself, I could identify a lot of me in the movie but let's say several notches below. I spent many hours trying "new jets" or new dwell angle or new valve lash and then sometimes driving around in my Challenger for hours late at night looking for a race. But I never took it to the road and made a living off it like these two guys.
Basically, if you didn't like Easy Rider, you probably wouldn't like TLBT. It's an end of an era type movie; the world is changing and these two guys are free to do what they love with no ties to anybody or anything. The end was controversial at the time and if you understand the deeper meaning of the movie, it makes sense. If you need an ending neatly spelled out for you, you'll hate it. But you have to watch the movie, all of it at once and ideally not interrupted, to take it all in.
The movie was a flop when it was originally released and has sense turned into a sizable cult film. I like it a lot more than Vanishing Point and I could ramble on about hat movie also. If VP had been directed by Monte, it may have been a better movie as the theme wasn't half bad.
There, that's my review.
Look here also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Lane_Blacktop
Old 12-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Some other good cult classic movies from back then like Two Lane Blacktop, Vanishing Point & Easy Rider are, Bullitt, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, Return to Macon County...
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That movie inspired us to go to the west coast with the race car and $320 in our pockets (no plastic back then). We had to win something to get back home.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Based on Ed's review I guess I'll have to skip it...I must be sheltered because I had to google what LGBT means...glad I managed to miss it all these years....besides, I'm more of a Bullitt kind of guy, always get a kick out of them having trouble with the Charger always catching the Mustang...but what a car chase scene, almost as good as the one in "Ronin".
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

I have seen some of the other movies that were listed below and like older movies. The movies made today are so far away from what is possible in the real world or just plain stupid ( IE Fast and the Furious or as I call it The slow and rediculously ugly). I was a very very young kid when this movie came out and had never heard of it untill earlier this year. I saw it was on and when I read the discription and it said drag racing was involved I was hooked. There are very few movies that involve our sport so when I see one that is even remotely linked to it I usually try and watch it. I liked it and was following along but forgot to hit the button to record it on the DVR. The second time same thing. I get up and start my day at 4-5 AM most days so a movie that starts at 10 PM or later is hard for me to watch and stay awake no matter how good it is. I thought it was along the lines of all of the movies of that era in respect to how they were made and the cameras and special effects of the time. I am going to try and see If I can buy it online somewhere. I am curious to see which one made it accross the county first and got the other ones car.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts

I watched the movie on Youtube. I dont know if its still there or not, but it was earlier this year when I watched it..
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Two Lane Blacktop The movie

the best part was the m-22 rock-crusher whine through the gears..........it was a little corny ,but hey i'm a car guy..lol.....2- thumbs -up
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen & Horace Johnson View Post
I watched the movie on Youtube. I dont know if its still there or not, but it was earlier this year when I watched it..
It's still on just watched it.