HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 06-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #301
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 315 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Hi,

Just passing along an old guy trick......

Once you get your tongue weight to what you want, take a look at the rocker link that connects the springs between the front and rear axles on your trailer......

The link should be parallel to the ground and you should adjust the ball height to make that happen.....

That way you will have equal weight on both axles and you won't overload one pair of tires...

Happy towing,
Bob

PS:
This applies to any trailer that has tandem axles with leaf spring suspension with a rocker between the springs...

Last edited by Bob Mulry; 06-25-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Bob Mulry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #302
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts

That makes sense, I'll check that out.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:47 AM   #303
Dave Muller

Ah, I see that Photobucket is holding my pictures hostage.

I guess I'll come up with an alternative before too long.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #304
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Muller View Post
Ah, I see that Photobucket is holding my pictures hostage.

I guess I'll come up with an alternative before too long.
Dave, since the Photobucket fiasco, I've been using Imgur. Very user friendly. -Al
Old 07-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #305
Dave Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus View Post
Dave, since the Photobucket fiasco, I've been using Imgur. Very user friendly. -Al
Thanks, I just tried it and fixed my first picture. Everything worked faster and better than PB also. It's amazing they could even ask for money considering how crappy the site is.

If I get ambitious this weekend I might fix the rest of the pictures, or at least most of them, once the heat stops me from working in the garage.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #306
Dave Muller

Man, if I had to post all those pictures and get the links again from Photobucket it would have taken me a month. Seriously! Imgur is so much better it's incredible. They're all back, except for one or two that I couldn't find on my hard drive.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 PM   #307
Dave Muller

Today I got the Chevelle back from Comp Chassis. It turns out the pinion was several degrees too far down. Hopefully that will banish the last of the vibration.

Also the manual master cylinder is in. The pedal is still softer than I'd like, but Mike tells me it'll go up to 1400 PSI if pumped a couple of times.

I also lowered the hitch a couple of inches, it looks like the weight is almost perfectly split between the trailer axles now.

Meanwhile I've been working on prepping my Camaro for paint. It looks like it'll be in primer for the fall races and will get the base/clear around Thanksgiving, because as always there was more wrong with the body than it first appreared.
Liked
Old 08-04-2017, 11:56 PM   #308
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Car looks fantastic Dave.
I like the master set up but not sure what the switch n sensor are for.
Im in a similar postion with my velle upgrading to 4wdisc brakes w mopar cylinder from scratch.
Best to you with new power for towing.

And thanks to mr mulry on rhe trailer advice.
Chris
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #309
Dave Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris ok View Post
Car looks fantastic Dave.
I like the master set up but not sure what the switch n sensor are for.
Im in a similar postion with my velle upgrading to 4wdisc brakes w mopar cylinder from scratch.
Best to you with new power for towing.

And thanks to mr mulry on rhe trailer advice.
Chris
Thanks, Chris.

The switch is a pressure switch to control the 2-step, and the sensor is for the electric brake pressure gauge. I think the switch is currently set around 700 PSI. I hope to try out the 2-step at the AZSSS race coming up in September.

In the mean time I'm scrambling to get the Camaro in primer and back into race trim.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #310
Dave Muller

Well, I had the Chevelle out for this weekend's AZ Stock/SS Assn. race at Wild Horse. The new master cylinder worked pretty well and it was nice to be able to stop with the engine idling without having to stand on the pedal. The pedal is still soft though. I did some bleeding and did get some air out of it, and that helped some. At least I didn't feel the need to pump the brakes. I'll do more bleeding soon, there could still be some in there, but the master cylinder bore size may not be right after all. When I upgrade to racing brakes for the front next year I may just buy a matching master then.

Otherwise the car ran pretty well, except for a problem with the neutral safety switch on the shifter. I encountered that problem at the scales after Q1, and only got it running again just in time for Q2.

I didn't get to use the 2-step, though I did try. I think I need to lower the pressure setting and the RPM setting both. I'll get more serious about sorting that out in a day race in October.

The car ran similar ETs to Fontana, a 12.57 best. This was at a 4000 ft DA.

The big surprise for me came up when I was laddered to race Ryan Smith's N/SA wagon in round one. I hadn't thought they did heads up races in this group, but it turns out they do. That was a big thrill for me as I had never had a heads up race, at least not where it's legal... (long time ago, empty country road...)

So Ryan was running at least 3 tenths slower in qualifying. But I don't really have any data on what would make my car faster and I wasn't really prepared to do any of the obvious things; I wasn't even prepared to ice down the intake. So I just added some weight to be safe at the scale, and headed off to staging.

There was a long clean up on the track at that point, but there was still no sign of Ryan until just before we ran. I started imagining all the things he might be doing to get those 3 tenths and then some and started to get a bit nervous. But I stuck with my plan to just make sure I was green (though my .086 was later than I aimed for) and made sure I was good on weight (15 pounds over as it turns out).

When we launched I could see him in my peripheral vision (his .006 light helped that) and for a couple hundred feet after that too, but from there I never saw him again. It was strange to not have a reason to look back as I approached the stripe! The final result was 12.58 to 12.93. And I had always figured that my first heads up race would probably leave me scorched by a missile from Nevada!

I went out in round 2 after staging a little deeper than I meant to. So while my .008 light looked good that added to the ET, and the car slowed a bit on its own as well, so I lost to Alex Kadar. But I had some fun including my first heads up race, so I left happy. I even got some prizes for best losing package of the round (only because the rest went red!)

I'm starting to get pretty comfortable in the car but the biggest thing I need to change on that front is to move the toggle switches closer to me. I have to loosen the shoulder straps to get to them as it is now.

Two more races are on my schedule for this year: the October 21 AZSSSA race and the Las Vegas divisional in November.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 09-19-2017 at 12:08 AM.